1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you run an H-21 on a Legacy Port from an SWM8 Switch?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by bsmithFX4, Sep 19, 2009.

1. bsmithFX4

bsmithFX4 AllStar

Dec 7, 2006
    I have an SWM8 switch. It works great for my HR-2* receivers, and the Legacy ports have been working great for my older receivers.

I had an R-15 running on one of the LEGACY ports, and now I'm trying to replace that unit with an H21-100.

I've hooked it up but it is not getting a satellite signal (771 error). Upon initial setup, I selected "SWM" as the type of switch and I did not have the BBC connected. It completed the setup, but in the sat test, it was not getting a signal from 2 of the positions (the HD ones, I am assuming).

I then tried it with setting the switch type just to "Multiswitch". Still had no BBC connected. Still had the same issues.

I then tried it with the BBC, and no luck.

So now I'm stuck with a 771 and no way to get back to the setup screens.

So, is it possible to run an H-21 off of a LEGACY port from an SWM8? If so, do I need the BBC? If so, in the setup, do I specify SWM or Multiswitch?

Or can you not run SWM compatible receivers through the Legacy ports?

Thanks in advance.

2. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    On the SWiM8 you can run an H21, but you won't get any HD. If you have spare tuners on the SWiM8 coax, the best thing to do is run the H21 on it.

Cheers,
    Tom

3. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    if you do end up running the h-21 off the legacy port you will need to set it either for a phase 3 dish if you have a sl5 or a old single lnb dish as it will only be able to pick up 101. 110/119 on those ports.

4. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Do you just need another splitter, or one with more outputs?
    You can connect 8 tuners to either one or both ports of the SWM8. Looks like you're just wanting to use 5 of them, 2 each for DVRs and 1 more for the H21.
    No need for a BBC with the H21 & SWM. Just need to connect it to port 1 or 2 of the SWM.

5. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    My first question is did you leave the feed to this outlet where the R15 was connected to the SWM's legacy port, or did you rewire it to be fed from one of the SWM ports? If you left it connected to the legacy port, then this is your problem. You need to connect the feed to one of the SWM ports. Remember, with SWM you can use splitters so even if both SWM ports are in use, you can just add a 2Ghz splitter and tie the H2 into the SWM side of the switch.

If you do try to run the H21 off a legacy port, then you won't need a BBC because nothing is "stacked" there. You would need to set the H21 to a "Round 18inch" dish. Again, you really just need to add this onto the SWM side, though.

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    1. yes, but no MPEG-4 HD national channels
    2. no, since they don't get the signals out the legacy ports, and no don't specify SWM, since this is a legacy port [non SWM]
    3. You can run them but have the limits of #1

7. bsmithFX4

bsmithFX4 AllStar

Dec 7, 2006
    Thanks everyone. I left the cable that was run to the R-15 from the legacy port. Sounds like al I need to do it switch the other end of that cable from the legacy port to a free SWM port.

Thanks for the help.

8. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Just for the record;

I think I heard from another poster a while back (can't remember who) that the legacy ports on the SWM-8 module actually pass the Ka-hi band from 99 and 103, but not B-band. Little use of course for HD receivers since presently only the Spaceways are using the Ka-hi band for spotbeam locals. At least until DIRECTV-12 is launched.

9. bsmithFX4

bsmithFX4 AllStar

Dec 7, 2006

FYI, I swapped the cable at the SWM swich from the Legacy Port to the SWM 2 port and all is fine. Thanks again.

10. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Woohoo! Yup, that was your best option.

Now, next week you can switch the R15 for an HR2x and have even more HD :)

Cheers,
    Tom