1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you watch recorded shows on an inactive DV?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by uscpsycho, Jan 4, 2011.

1. uscpsycho

uscpsycho Mentor

Oct 23, 2008
    I have an HR20 that's been replaced by an HR24.

I no longer need to record shows on the 20 but I'd like to watch the shows I have on there. Can I deactivate the 20 and still watch what's on it? I can either leave the sat connected or disconnect if it makes any difference.

I asked DirecTV and got two different answers.

Thanks.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Nope, it wont play anything after its deactivated. It will say No DVR service.
    Now, if you disconnect the coax before you deactivate it, it should work for a while, but I dont know how long.

3. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Just leave it activated until all of the shows are watched.

4. uscpsycho

uscpsycho Mentor

Oct 23, 2008
    Sure, but with the amount of stuff on there that I haven't seen it could take a while. At $5/mo it'll start adding up.

Thanks for the answers though :)

5. sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    Copy the stuff off to a DVD, but that'll take the same amount of time as watching the shows.......

6. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Well, get busy. ;)

Let's see, if you can watch even 2 hours per day on average, the most you'd have to pay is $10 (assuming most of the content is HD). That doesn't seem unrealistic in terms of time, nor unreasonable in terms of money.

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    My R15 has been deactivated for over 6 months now and I can still watch my old recordings on it.

- Merg

8. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Entirely different animal, but I'm pretty sure you knew that already Merg, shame on you for trying to stir the pot...especially with something as ridiculous as antiquated SD programming that noone posting in the HD forum cares about....:lol:

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Pot? What pot? :D

@uscpsycho:
    Sorry, if I confused you. The R15 and HR2x series are two completely different animals when it comes to deactivating and then watching recordings.

- Merg