1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Cancel and resign better or freeze

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Calvin Carrigan, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Calvin Carrigan

Calvin Carrigan AllStar

Dec 5, 2006
    I have been a dish subscriber for 3 yars now. I recently sold my house and moved into an apartment. At that time I put a freeze on my account so I could keep my shows I recorded on my DVR's. I pay 10 bucks a month for that. We are building a new house and it will be done in April/May. My question is from an install and price perspective does it make more sense to cancel my service,send the DVR's back,then when the house is ready have my wife sign up as a new customer?

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    That is a personal option. What fits my needs dosen't have to fit yours.:)

3. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    why not have it installed at the apartment?

4. Calvin Carrigan

Calvin Carrigan AllStar

Dec 5, 2006

So the question is would it be better to get a new install under my wifes name or keep the one I have? Are there any incentives goin on?

I couldn't install it in the apartment because it faces North and would have to run the dish to the other side of the building. I had to sign a waiver saying I wouldn't.

5. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    fair enough, figured it was something like that, just wanted to be sure. :D

6. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    You might find it tough to get a retailer to do that as Dish is clamping down on this and shutting down retailers who do this type of thing. I think they shut down like 20 or so retailers in the last couple months...

http://www.mediabiz.com/news/articles/?publication_id=2&release_id=467

7. Calvin Carrigan

Calvin Carrigan AllStar

Dec 5, 2006
    But if I cancel now and resign in 5 months under my mother in law who lives with us?

8. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    If you are going to have a new physical address and a new phone number you might get away with it.

9. Calvin Carrigan

Calvin Carrigan AllStar

Dec 5, 2006
    Yes to both. But is there a benifit to doing this?

10. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    I think it's crap to do that, deceiving, clearly against the rules and should never be done.

Why not just opt for honesty instead of becoming a dirtbag and stealing things?

11. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    What do you have for equipment? Do you want different equipment? What are you subscribing to for programming? Will you get any savings on what you watch by becoming a new customer?:)

12. Calvin Carrigan

Calvin Carrigan AllStar

Dec 5, 2006
    I will have 3 - 722's. I have the top 250,latin package,sports package and all the HD. Everything but movie channels.

13. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    So is there an advantage to you you will probably have to buy receivers again as a new customer and your programming looks to be personalized to your tastes.:)

14. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    A new customer has to pay an extra $50 lease fee for the first 722, more for the second 722 ($100? $150? Someone else can verify), and you'd have to buy the 3rd outright, as Dish has a 4-TV-output lease limit.

It would be cheaper to suspend your account.

15. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    If you have a 722 - you can buy an extended HD, move your shows, stop your service and then start again next year. I guess the question is how much would they charge you as a returning customer vs. what u are doing now.

16. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    If you have 3 722's right now you own at least one of them. You would not have to send it back and could be added to the new account later. Seems to me though that suspending would be easier.

17. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    If you do not own, even if you DO own a 722 and save the recordings to an EHD, when you open an account in another name, you will NOT be able to view them because the EHD is tied to the account, not the reciever - so be careful with the switcheroo - you might shoot yourself in the foot.

18. Calvin Carrigan

Calvin Carrigan AllStar

Dec 5, 2006
    Sorry I should have clarified earlier. I currently have a 622 and 522 that I am leasing. I would like to upgrade to 3 - 722's. I know I will have to buy one of them and at this point the recordings are moot. I thought by suspending the account I could hook up the DVR's in my apt. so the kids could watch thier favorite recordings but found that can't happen.

19. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    Ok, I noticed is some of your other threads that you would also like OTA in all rooms correct? If so, I would wait until the 722k is out because it will have the dual OTA addon tuners availble. That way you will only have to run your OTA coax to the three rooms that are TV1 rooms.(the rooms with the boxes actually in them.) In this case it MIGHT be cheaper for you to try to get a new customer deal because the extra charge for the first 2 MIGHT be cheaper that do Dishin it up. Either way the 3rd 722 will have to be purchased at full price. If you do get a new customer deal, you will probably also get some programming credits of some sort. There is a gray area as far as if you would be commiting fraud getting a new customer deal, your wife is entitled to her own accout if she so chooses. But some will still say that it is at least unethical.

20. Calvin Carrigan

Calvin Carrigan AllStar

Dec 5, 2006
    Any idea when the 722k would come out? As far as unethical I thinks it's bad buisness to ask loyal paying customers to get as good a deal as a new customer. They should PRICE MATCH like stores do after all I will be upgrading recievers and have no problem with a commitment.