1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cancel/enabling fee?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Art2, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Art2

Art2 Cool Member

Jan 17, 2007
    I've only been with Dish 4-5 months. Yesterday I called Dish for a problem with my 322. This is in the bedroom.

While I had him on the phone I told him I had a VIP in the living room and asked if I could replace the duel with another 211 since I have a 52 in HDTV there. I just got rid of HD programing and only want the better receiver.

He said for $49.00, another 18 month contract, another $240.00 cancelation fee and a $6.00 rental fee.

I read on here something about a enabling fee. Is this a one time fee and how much is it?

Would they waive one of the cancel fees if asked. $480.00 if I leave is big hit.

I thought I ask here before calling(if I'd call)them--I question some of the CSR knowledge.

Thanks.

2. koralis

koralis Godfather

Aug 10, 2005
    I'm not sure why you're trying to get rid of the 622. I'm sure you can buy a 211 for much less than $480 and just stick with your current deal.

3. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Perhaps because he said 322.

4. Art2

Art2 Cool Member

Jan 17, 2007
    It's the 322. I really don't need it for two tv's. I just want an hdmi and optical outlet for better video and sound.

5. koralis

koralis Godfather

Aug 10, 2005
    No.. he didn't. At least the part I'm responding to. Maybe his fingers were just slipped and mistyped, but as stated, he inquired about replacing the dual with a 211. I see that he meant the 322 dual, not the 622 dual. Either way, Buying the unit is cheaper than signing up for a new deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DISH-NETWORK-32...0QQihZ014QQcategoryZ32845QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Dish-211-HD-Rec...ryZ67893QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

322 = buy it now for $95.
    211 = buy it now for $229

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The enabling fee is present regardless of whether you lease or buy. In fact, all of the monthly fees are the same.

There is no policy reason that the OP can't swap the 322 for a ViP211. There are very compelling reasons for not trading a DVR for a non-DVR. Access to HDMI (of questionable value), no worries about an extra tuner fee and an OTA tuner (possibly of great value) are the advantages of a ViP211.

7. koralis

koralis Godfather

Aug 10, 2005
    The OP wasn't talking about monthly fees for the most part. He was concerned with one-time fees associated with the changes. Yes, he's going to be paying the HD-enable fee regardless, since he dropped the HD package. That doesn't impact the $480 charge though.

The CSR disagreed apparently. He said it could only happen if he cancelled his current contract, with all of the cancellation fees, etc. Maybe a letter to ceo@dishnetwork.com would fix the problem. *shrug*

I was just offering my two cents on a way to avoid the cancellation fee... buy the reciever yourself. Of course, then you'd have an extra tuner on the account that you'd be paying for anyway.

8. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    Questioning is good, but sometimes CSRs have the knowledge but the info doesn't get conveyed correctly. Same thing can (and already did) happen here, so question whatever I or anybody else says too.

My version is good news - bad news.

GN:
    Nobody is charging you any cancellation fee if you upgrade. Assume that you presently have a commitment to remain a customer for another 14 months. That is $13.33 for every month remaining on your commit. If you do an existing customer upgrade (DIU), you extend that commit to be a new 18 month period at $13.33/month - you don't have two $240 guns pointed at your head. The $6 rental fee for a new 211 is mostly offset by the $5 rental fee of the 322 (which I assume you would return).

BN:
    The HD Enable fee of $6/month could easily apply to both ViP receivers. The exact wording of the DIU agreement says that it is a per receiver fee.

HD Enabling Fee: A non-refundable $6.00 per month HD enabling fee will be charged to your account for each model ViP211 or ViP622 receiver for which the capacity to receive high definition programming (including without limitation via an off-air antenna) has been enabled. This fee will be waived on a monthly basis if you subscribe to DishHD ...​
    Someone with two purchased ViP receivers has reported that he only pays a single HD Enable fee. The same section of a new subscriber agreement reads a little differently:

HD Enabling Fee: A $6.00 per month HD enabling fee will be charged to your account if any model 411, ViP211, ViP222, or ViP622 DVR receiver is activated. This fee will be waived on a monthly basis if you subscribe to DishHD ​

I can't tell you if a 2nd HD Enable fee would apply, but it seems like it would with the $49 DIU upgrade route. Grey area if you purchase a 211, but it would take a lot of months to make up the $6 difference IF a 2nd HD Enable fee didn't apply to it. The $6 lease wouldn't be a lease fee, but you'd pay the same $6 for a purchased ViP as "Additional Receiver" fee.

If you dropped the HD Pack programming, what is it that you want the 211 in the bedroom for? Only HD locals (via sat or OTA) would seem to justify it to me, and if it is OTA HD locals, an 811 would be enough. You never mentioned 622 in any of your posts - is that in fact what you have for your current ViP receiver?

9. Art2

Art2 Cool Member

Jan 17, 2007
    The rep told me I'd have another 18 month contract plus the remainder of my current contract.about 14 months. So if I left Dish I have to pay 2 cancel fees,
    240.00 per receiver=$480.00.

I have a 211 in living room and a 322 in the bedroom. I watch a lot of tv in the bedroom and I'm not getting the better video and sound from the 322(no fiber optic )from my HDTV and the ota locals I get from an antenna but would be nice not to have to change my input on the tv every time I want to view locals.So that's why I wanted to check into another 211.

If there's something else out there that's reasonable please let me know.

Also the bedroom receiver continues to set itself on tv2 when it should be tv1.I reset it and is good until I turn it off. Turn it and back on and tv2 again.

Is the $6 enabling fee and the lease fee all one or is it a $6.00 enabling fee plus a $6 lease fee every month?

Also, what is the 811?

10. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    Phone and ask another CSR to see if you get the same answer. You'll have a new contract, but ask if it extends, runs parallel with, ... the current one. The new one is a prorated $13.33/month as well.

Your initial agreement for DHA can be read at http://www.dishtv.com/terms_dha04.jsp and says
    a prorated cancellation fee of $240 will apply for early downgrade, termination, or disconnection of service as described below,
    a cancellation fee equal to $13.33 multiplied by the number of months remaining in the Initial Term
    You don't even have to pay $200 if you walk away right now.

An 811 is the receiver that preceeded the 211. The advantage to the 211 (or any ViP) is that it is MPEG4 so it can receive the new HD satellite channels (including HD locals via sat). It receives OTA digital channels as well as the SD satellite channels (plus HBO HD if you happen to subscribe to HBO). There is no HD Enable fee for an 811. None for a 942 for that matter. If you really only want MPEG2 channels and OTA digitals, I think you'd be better off with a 942 replacing the 211. You'd pay $5.98 for a DVR fee instead of the $6 HD Enable fee. Using an 811 instead of the 211 would save the HD Enable fee.

Do you need to watch different things in HD in the two rooms at the same time? You can run a HDMI cable a fair distance if you don't mind TV1 showing the same HD content in both locations. That doesn't get you a TOSLink audio connection in both rooms "sharing TV1" though.

All the fees are separate. $6 HD Enable, $6 lease, $5.98 DVR, $5 no phone line on a dual output receiver.

11. Art2

Art2 Cool Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Thanks much! I understand it a little better now.

One more question(I think) is the enabling fee a one time thing or every month?

12. Zero327

Zero327 Godfather

Oct 10, 2006
    It runs consecutively. Why do you think that CEO is so willing to make exceptions on DIU's worth hundreds of thousands of dollar for equipment? Why does noone read the fine print? It COULD be waived, but the sky could fall and you're more likely to get them to waive DVR fees for a lifetime. And before people start running to CEO to test that one, I said it COULD, but that particular team can't do it themselves, and the team that can, won't. The actual cancellation charges are completed by an automatic process. That team customers can't contact at all, and CSRs only have e-mail for that matter... and no they won't give it out. Did I miss anything?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.