1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cancel Service - Return MY HR 20-700

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mtalhelm, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Mar 2, 2009 #1 of 58
    mtalhelm

mtalhelm AllStar

Nov 22, 2006
    Background info:

I have been a customer of DirecTV since 2002
    I started out by doing the whole 2 year lease agreement to receive their programming under the current contract, etc.

When HD became available, I upgraded to the H20 (standard HD receiver) and DirecTV came and upgraded my dish so I could receive the programming. I am not sure of the exact date I did all of this, but it was in 2006.

When DTV came out with the HR 20 HD DVR Receiver I decided I also wanted in on the DVR in HD. However, at the time, DTV did not have any available through them because they were all backordered, but I happened to find one at Best Buy and paid with Tax, $320 and some change. Brought it home and called DTV and got it all set up, and didn't sign up for any lease or any year terms - just the basic HD DVR Service in which I was VERY pleased with and very pleased with the HR 20-700 and got involved in some of the software testing and it was very cool. This happened in October of 2006.

In August, 2008 I was moving to Indiana from my home in NC and not knowing what jobs I would have, I just put my account in suspension so I could keep the same prices when I wanted to start it back up. Well, 6 months is all they let you keep is suspended so I had to finally cancel everything because I am still not back to where I can have DTV with all the HD and stuff.

So, upon canceling, I was promptly told that I would have to return MY HR 20-700 in which I argued valiantly with several CSRs and Equipment Dept. people, to no avail. Each time being told that in Jan of 2006 all equipment bought through Best Buy or other places, are considered under a lease program. I argues I never saw this, never signed on to this. They said is should have been on my receipt and all over the box that this was being leased. It isn't on the receipt and it isn't on the box. It isn't anywhere. I never received a letter of them telling me is was a lease - not even an e-mail. In fact, one DTV equipment tech guy even told me that when I swiped my credit card at best buy, it was "probably" on the little things where I signed my name to accept the charges that there was a thing on the screen saying I was agreeing to the lease - well, I can't really remember that, but I don't buy it at all.

Anyway, I told them I would return it if they would reimburses me from my $320. To no avail, they said I had to return it and they even sent me a box with all the postage paid - just put it in the box and send it. Well, I got the box, and I haven't shipped it. So today I get a notice in the mail, I owe $488.55 for the equipment that wasn't returned.

Is there anything I can do? Do I just send the box back and forget about everything? What can I do to argue more? Thanks for your help or helping me understand why I have to send it back!

2. Mar 2, 2009 #2 of 58
    dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    You can pay the $488.55 and own the receiver, or you can send it back...
    If there is a bright side, the newer untis have larger hard drives if you decide to come back ot D* and they are only $199 now... Sorry I know it only "rubs salt in the wound" but tha is how D*'s equipment model is.

3. Mar 2, 2009 #3 of 58
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Nothing you can do, that is and has been the receiver model they use.

4. Mar 2, 2009 #4 of 58
    Draconis

Draconis New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    If I remember correctly all receiver purchases became a "Lease Upgrade Fee" around March 2006. The $299 from back then qualifies as a "Lease Upgrade". You would have had to pay around $500 to actually own the unit.

Honestly, the unit can only be used with DIRECTV service. Without the service it is only a expensive paperweight. I would just return it.

5. Mar 2, 2009 #5 of 58
    say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Ever since February/March 2006, all DirecTV receivers are leased units, even if you get them from a retail outlet. FWIW, you would have paid the same upfront fee via DirecTV as you did at BestBuy when you got the HR20. Also, lease notification was probably iffy when you got your HR20, but it's still a lease.

Apparently you've kept the HR20 and return box for some time to have recieved a letter saying you owe $488. Package the HR20 in the return box, bring it to a FedEx location and get a receipt showing you dropped the package off with them. Then call DirecTV and let them know the receiver is comming back. You'll probably have to wait a bit to get a credit if they've already charged you the non-return fee.

6. Mar 2, 2009 #6 of 58
    txtommy

txtommy Icon

Dec 30, 2006
    I've purchased (leased) receivers at both Best Buy and Circuit City. Each time I was given a receipt for the equipment which made no mention of a lease and appeared in all aspects to be a purchase. In addition to the receipt, I was given a copy of a ' Equipment Lease Addendum' which I had to sign. The sales receipt is about 5 inches long and the Lease is about 2 feet long. I expect that you also signed a similar statement, and should have received a copy. Even if you didn't receive a copy, there is likely one on record at the store or at Directv. The contract clearly states the lease fees and consequences if you fail to return the equipment when you cease to be a customer. I suspect that most people sign this long contract without reading it just as I did and probably throw it away when they get home.

7. Mar 3, 2009 #7 of 58
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    They definitely wont reimburse you any money... Its kind of like leasing a car.. you pay some up front, and monthly, which is what you have been doing.. No way around it.. sorry...

8. Mar 3, 2009 #8 of 58
    Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
  9. Mar 3, 2009 #9 of 58
    jiserrab

jiserrab AllStar

Feb 2, 2006
    Ask them to provide you with a copy of the signed agreement. If they cannot provide ANY proof(even electronically signed forms are valid) that you signed a lease agreement than it is NOT a lease.

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Truth is you leased it, you didn't buy it, back then they were $299+tax which jives with your $320 figure. Return it and be done with it. Please don't listen to all the ridiculous posts about if you didn't sign an agreement, join a class action lawsuit, blah, blah, its just plain stupid behavior and what makes our society looks so ridiculous today.

11. Baldone

Baldone Mentor

Sep 2, 2007
    +1

12. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I don't think it's "stupid" behavior to contest a so-called lease agreement that you didn't sign, or were not made aware of and consent to. I'm not saying this is the case with the D* situation, but generally telling consumers they don't have a right to contest "hidden" leases is a slippery slope. There are those who would take advantage of this kind of "inattention" to the requirements of a lease or contract and you could end up owing a lot of "ner do wells" a lot of money.

If there is no basis for a legal claim, it will get thrown out. Better too many of these, than enabling the predators. That's what the courts are for (as well as State Attorneys General, and to a lesser extent, BBBs.

13. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    At this point, it makes sense for the OP to return the equipment and avoid the non-return fee. He should hold on to his receipts and all written communications between him and DirecTV as he might be able to use it later to get a refund (or partial refund) should the class action suit go anywhere.

14. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    When I got my HR21 from Best Buy, the lease agreement was on the the credit card pad (whatever it's called). I had to sign it once for the lease agreement and then again for my Visa.

15. csgo

csgo Legend

Oct 15, 2006
    The DirecTV customer agreement contains an arbitration clause.

#1 You don't have to do anything. They can't collect the $488.55 from you unless you pay them. If they take any action that negatively affects your credit then you have a cause of action against them outside of the customer agreement.

#2 Send a Certified letter with return receipt asking them for a signed copy of the lease agreement. A lease is a contract. There are elements that are required for the contract to be valid. If they claim such a contract exists then they should be able to provide the evidence.

#3 You could file for arbitration.

In any case most of these leases that DirecTV claim don't exist. This will prove out in time.

Good luck!

-Joe

16. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Oy, I knew this thread would go this way.

mtalhelm,

On March 1, 2006, DirecTV began a lease model for their equipment. Any equipment obtained from that date forward was leased equipment. At the beginning it wasn't always clear, especially when obtained at brick-and-mortor locations (like Best buy & Circuit City).

If you want to avoid further aggravation, just follow say-what's advice and return the unit. Once your FedEx tracking shows that DirecTV received the package, call them and get the non-return fee reversed. If you don't return the DVR and don't pay the non-return fee, you won't be able to do anything with the DVR anyway - you won't be able to sell it, give it away, or probably even reactivate it.

If you want to fight, kick, sue, whatever you certainly have that right, but it's just peeing up a rope. If you want to firmly stand on principal, dig in and never give up, then I'm afraid your aggravation is just starting.

You could probably find dozens of threads from people (especially those that acquired their equipment back in March/April 2006) who have experienced the same thing that you have.

When I'm right, I will stand my ground. In a case like this I'm sure there will be MANY, MANY people on here who would say my advice is just bending over and grabbing my ankles. In reality, this is a losing battle and I see no reason to "fight the man" in a no-win situation. There are much bigger battles to fight than this one.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

17. Inches

Inches Godfather

Jan 5, 2005
    What you might do is to demand a copy of the document you signed before you pay anything.

Good Luck

18. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    In the "early days" of D* leasing there was no lease addendum form, no info on the receipt and there were no stickers on the boxes. Something happened a few months into the program (not sure exactly what it was, legal or otherwise) that retail stores had to "more clearly" mark the boxes etc. Now the boxes have stickers, the shelp signs are clear and you have a 2' long lease addendum. There was some confusion at the outset.

19. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    This is correct. The lease program went into effect March 1, 2006, and while the HSPs were ready for it, the big-box retailers didn't get their act together and put up the signage and train their employees until the end of summer. So, it is absolutely true that the retailers dropped the ball, and there is a class-action over that.

At the time, the cost to OWN an HR20 was $599, and the upfront lease fee was $299. The OP definitely paid the lease price (and you could only BUY a receiver directly from DirecTV).

Others have given the OP his options, but IMO the best option would be to return the receiver, document, and join the class action.

20. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Seeing the HR20 didn't come out till August 2006 the OP in all probability was informed it was a lease.