1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canceled my 722k upgrade... way too expensive!

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by schmack, Dec 11, 2011.

1. schmack

schmack AllStar

Sep 10, 2005
    After all the trouble I have had with the 922's Sling capabilities, I had decided to just put a second receiver in my place so I can pretty much stop using it. The cost? $115 for the apt, $17 for the 722k upgrade, and then an extra $10/mo for the next three years as I am one year into my contract and they were going to add two more. This is just way too expensive.

If I let my contract expire in a year, I can then resign-up, eh? At that point I can get all the receivers and stuff I want including extra area installs and the like, and even get my first year at the discounted prices (the 250 package is $25 cheaper int he first year). My new plan.

2. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    You won't get new customer offers when your contract expires. I'm not saying you won't get some kind of deal, but you won't get everything that a new customer gets.

Did they tell you that your contract would run 3 years? I added a DVR to my DirecTV account and the new 2 years replaced the 9 months that I had left on my old contract.

3. gtal98

gtal98 Godfather

Jan 30, 2011
    Yeah, the two years would start from the day of the 722 install - it's not added on to the end of your existing. Also what's the extra $10 for? I understand the $17 for the second receiver, but not the extra $10.

And you would have to cancel your service for 3 months after your contract expires to be eligible for new customer promotions when you resign.

4. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    I strongly suggest you contact a Dish representative on this site for help to make sure you are getting and/or understanding the correct information.

5. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    Nearly 2 years ago I upgraded to the 922 from the 622, I also added a 722K to the mix. Dish charged 200 bucks for the 922, nothing for the 722K and did the install for free. I was required to sign up for 2 years which was a none issue for me.
    I would contact one of the Reps here for correct information.

6. schmack

schmack AllStar

Sep 10, 2005
    Interesting. So if I do this I am locked in for the next two years, not two more years added? Cool. That is better. The $10/mo is the cost of a second DVR on my account, no?

I suppose it isn't that bad then. As for renewing after the contract expires... if they want three months I can switch away for a bit, or sign up under another name. The first year discounts add up to $300, and the install and extra units will be free.

I use TWC for broadband, perhaps I will use them just for this office until then. I hate that Scientific Atlanta DVR's interface. Perhaps I get a QAM ready TIVO for that, do they have those?

I would still like the MT2 OTA for my 922, $50 eh?

Thanks for all yalls insight!

7. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    MT2's ~30, I got mine for free when I upgraded from the 722 to the 922 because I whined.

8. RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network New Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Can you please send me a PM with your phone or account number so I can assist you with this? Thanks!

9. schmack

schmack AllStar

Sep 10, 2005
    I spoke with RaymondG (above) about this, but his numbers were actually higher then the deal I just canceled. He wanted to charge for the MT2 which I was given for free on this other offer. Since the 922 I got already has such problems, I don't think its the best time to spend more money and reup my contract for the privilege. If only what they sold me already worked.

10. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Generally for multiple HD DVR's Directv is cheaper.

11. schmack

schmack AllStar

Sep 10, 2005
    I would think Dish would give me a second DVR for free since Sling is down for me now. I paid extra for the Sling in the first place. Oh, well, its not that bad at $132.

12. schmack

schmack AllStar

Sep 10, 2005
    My service level has been at $90.24 per month. Instead of upgrading at $132 and an extra $10/mo for installation of a second DVR, I dropped my programming down to a $39.99 level. Perhaps if I get my Sling to work again it will be worth beefing up my programing, but I cant bring my bill to over $100/mo when what I have paid for already isn't working.