1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Cancellation Watch 2012/13

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by RunnerFL, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Sep 29, 2012 #1 of 203
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    So who thinks what show will be cancelled first?

My pick: The Mindy Project

2. Sep 29, 2012 #2 of 203
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Guys with Kids

or

Neighbors

Although The Mindy Project is a good guess too, I didn't even bother setting up a recording for that one.

3. Sep 29, 2012 #3 of 203
    Drew2k

Drew2k DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 16, 2006
    I've seen all three mentioned so far, and I liked The Neighbors the most of the group. It was just quirky enough to make me want to see what a second episode would be like.

Guys with Kids had a so-so first episode, but the second episode was much better.

I just watched the Mindy Project and see this doing well with women who might have watched Sex and the City, but I don't see it having broader appeal.

So from this group, I agree: Mindy goes first.

Low ratings for Last Resort, and the expense of it, might give that show an early exit, too, despite how good it is.

4. Sep 29, 2012 #4 of 203
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    I haven't seen The Neighbors yet, you can't go wrong with Jami Gertz though, so I can't comment on it. I think Guys with Kids will get some longevity though because it's a Jimmy Fallon thing and right now NBC is totally in love with him.

Another one that may go soon, not first though, is Partners. It was just ho-hum.

The Mindy Project though... wow... I couldn't stand it. I know how I give people a hard time for deciding a show is no good after only seeing 5 minutes of it but I really hated it 5 minutes in. She just wouldn't shut up! I didn't laugh once, not even a chuckle. I forced myself to watch the whole episode though so I wouldn't be a hypocrite. :D

5. Sep 29, 2012 #5 of 203
    mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Astoria, OR
    Revolution. I just don't see it getting past a single season.

6. Sep 29, 2012 #6 of 203
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Yeah, but at least it will make it a season. It definitely won't be the first show cancelled. Especially not with it winning its time slot.

7. Sep 30, 2012 #7 of 203
    ladannen

ladannen Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    The Mob Doctor. Most critic reviews weren't very favorable, but it will be cancelled based on ratings alone.

8. Sep 30, 2012 #8 of 203
    EdJ

EdJ Legend

Jan 9, 2007
    I hope not.... I enjoyed the program.

9. Sep 30, 2012 #9 of 203
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I'd say the Mindy Project will be first to go. Not funny, too much talk from her and an utterly boring show.

The Neighbors should last imo. It is very funny, with lots of laugh out loud moments, which is becoming rarer each year in sitcoms.

The Last Resort should be a keeper for what it is, but you gotta wonder why it didn't get higher ratings. IMO, it is the best of breed so far this season.

10. Sep 30, 2012 #10 of 203
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    If history is any kind of a teacher....

When there is a large barrage of new shows like we recently saw introduced....it's often followed by a comparable barrage of cancellations.

I suspect there is a long but distinguished list of cancellation candidates.

11. Sep 30, 2012 #11 of 203
    Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Haven't watched any of those, except maybe 5-minutes of Last Resort. If the Nielsen folks are checking my viewing choices, then I'm afraid it's curtains for all of them.

I'm holding out hope that Elementary makes it, but it too may go the way of Caprica.

12. Sep 30, 2012 #12 of 203
    mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Looking at the ratings over at TVbytheNumbers.com, it looks like

FRIDAY
    Made in Jersey was pretty weak on CBS (1.1 vs. 1.5 for Blue Bloods that followed at 10pm)

THURSDAY
    NBC continues weak on this night, but Elementary was solid on CBS.
    ABC's lineup improved over last year, but Last Resort might be in trouble.

WEDNESDAY
    Neighbors on ABC lost a lot of it's lead in ratings, but they'll probably give it time to build.
    NBC's 8pm block looks weak, especially Animal Practice.

TUESDAY
    All the networks did okay, no big stinkers here

MONDAY
    Mob Doctor bombed on CBS
    Revolution's number looks amazing for an NBC show, but was down from last week.

So, based on the new shows so far (and there's lots more to come) Mob Doctor looks like the weakest link, followed by Animal Hospital. I'm also surprised at how weak X-Factor continues to be.

13. Sep 30, 2012 #13 of 203
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Just my opinion but this year's crop of scripted shows is the weakest in a long time. I actually like half hour sitcoms but I don't like premises that are so dumb they turn me off before I even tune in. Usually I find four or five to try, this year it is a stretch with two.

I suspect it's time for another paradigm shift in broadcast television; hopefully we won't see more unscripted tv or competition shows, and hopefully nothing even worse than that.

14. Sep 30, 2012 #14 of 203
    Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    Being the first show I have watched on CBS in I can't remember how long AND the fact that I like it means Vegas will go out early. Also anything on NBC that is new has little chance. After Revolution put me to sleep with ep. 2 I'd bet on it and definitely Animal Practice.

15. Sep 30, 2012 #15 of 203
    mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Astoria, OR
    I miss Caprica. It got really good at the end. Damn slow middle is what killed it. Stargate Universe is sorely missed too.

16. Oct 1, 2012 #16 of 203
    Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    +1

17. Oct 1, 2012 #17 of 203
    Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Interesting. You bemoan drama and comedy, but target reality.

18. Oct 1, 2012 #18 of 203
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    My watch list... so far:

KEEPERS!

NBC:
    "Go On"
    "Revolution"

ABC:
    "666 Park Avenue"
    "Last Resort"

FOX:
    "The Mindy Project"

CBS:
    "Elementary"
    "Made In Jersey"

The CW:
    "Arrow"

BUBBLE SHOWS

NBC:

ABC:
    "The Neighbors"

FOX:
    "Ben And Kate"

CBS:

The CW:

UNKNOWN

NBC:
    "Animal Practice"
    "Guys With Kids"
    "The New Normal"

ABC:
    "Malibu Country"
    "Nashville"

FOX:
    "The Mob Doctor"

CBS:
    "Partners"
    "Vegas"

The CW:
    "Beauty And The Beast"
    "Emily Owens, M.D."

DROPPED

NBC:

ABC:

FOX:
    "The Mob Doctor"

CBS:

The CW:

You can pretty much bet that anything on my "KEEPERS" list will have a good chance of being cancelled... :rolleyes:

~Alan

19. Oct 1, 2012 #19 of 203
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Well, for the most part I think that scripted programming has potential (although this year's programs don't show much of it). While it's true, there are only are 6 basic plots, the best scripted TV rises above that. I'm still waiting for unscripted programming go beyond some basic formulas:

(1) Show people we don't know getting (lightly) tortured in some way on their quest to win money
    (2) Show people we used to know in a way we can laugh at or root for them
    (3) Find an excuse to show people without a lot of clothes while doing (1) or (2)
    (4) Find a profession we don't want to do and make us like the people who do it
    ...and, in only one case...
    (5) Find a way to make Americans actually care about foreign countries and locations through the use of (1), (2), (3) and some gratuitous but beautiful cinematography.

Am I missing anything?

20. Oct 1, 2012 #20 of 203
    Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Nope, just the point. But it's OK.