1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Cannot access VOD!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by CricketNB, Jul 31, 2013.

1. CricketNB

CricketNB New Member

Jul 31, 2013
    Canada
    I have tried numerous suggested solutions, but I still cannot access VOD either by clicking on "Watch Now" or "Record". I get the "Preparing for playback"; which gets about 3/4 the way through; then I get this error "There was a problem connecting to the Internet. Please test your connection". When I test the connection everything is OK except the phone connection, which I do not have plugged in.If I attempt to record, then it sits in my Playlist with "Pending Download" as it's status. I can access apps and YouTube, so I know I have internet access.

My current setup is a HR21-700 DVR that connects to the internet through a ethernet cable. I did bypass my router and connected directly to my modem. I recently purchased the Directv Cinema Connection Kit in the hopes of a solution, but it was more confusing then helpful. I am not sure if I require the ethernet coax adapter to make this unit work. I have searched through many forums and attempted to try all recommendations, but nothing works.

This is my first post and I have read many helpful posts from others, so my thanks goes out to those who regularly respond.

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Welcome to DBSTalk!

Go through Network Settings, Advanced. Just OK your way through until you get the "Congratulations" notice. Then exit, and try again. I do only downloads as I hate buffering. Try just a d/l first.

3. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Um , wait a second I see your location as Canada. So I'm done !

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Laxguy gave you the correct answer and he is not living in Canada.

Rich

5. CricketNB

CricketNB New Member

Jul 31, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks for the replies. I am still getting the "pending download". I am not sure why my location prohibits any suggestions being given. I am a long time subscriber to Directv who happens to live on the other side of the border.

6. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Cancel all downloads or pending whatevers and reset the box.

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Thanks for the replies. I am still getting the "pending download". I am not sure why my location prohibits any suggestions being given. I am a long time subscriber to Directv who happens to live on the other side of the border.

Because is "illegal" to get DirecTV USA in Canada

8. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I suspect that OnDemand won't work from a Canadian IP address.

9. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it sure sounds like it to me.
    :shrug:
    I am a long time subscriber to Directv who happens to live on the other side of the border