1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot connect to receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Smitty1960, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Smitty1960

Smitty1960 Mentor

Nov 2, 2009
    I've had DTV2PC installed on both my PC and my wifes and it worked fine. We're both running Win7 Ultimate x64. We're both now having the same problem. When we select a recorded TV show and then select play, we both get the same error message--"DIRECTV2PC cannot connect to the receiver. The protected content cannot be played at this time."

No settings or hardware has been changed on either computer. However, earlier today, when my internet connection went down, I rectified it in the usual manner--by disconnecting the modem and router, waiting a couple of minutes, then plugging them back in. Viola, the internet is back again. I don't know if this action caused the problem that we are seeing now. But DTV2PC no longer works. Any suggestions on how to get it functioning again without reinstalling the software on both PCs again?

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Did you reset your DVRs?

3. Smitty1960

Smitty1960 Mentor

Nov 2, 2009
    If you mean push the reset button on my HR23-700, I haven't tried that yet. As soon as it's done recording I'll do that. If you mean reselecting the receiver from the menu in attempt to ensure it's "seen", I tried that, but to no avail.

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Instead of pushing the reset button, use the menu selection for Restarting Receiver. That allows the receiver to properly shut itself down before restarting.

- Merg

5. Smitty1960

Smitty1960 Mentor

Nov 2, 2009
    I've reset the receiver (using the red button), and that seems to have corrected the problem. I did not read the other post about using the menu first until this morning. But I'll use that technique the next time this happens. Thank you folks.