1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot record after S/W update

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by jhsanchez, Dec 30, 2016.

1. jhsanchez

jhsanchez Legend

Feb 4, 2006
    Tucson AZ
    I manually upgraded my H3 s/w to U336 (current version) and now I cannot record anything either manually or via timers. Previously recorded stuff plays fine. When I try, to record something from the guide, I get a "cannot edit timer - try again later" error 1381 (I think). Also, when I press the magnifying glass, all I get when I try to search is the channel names who start with the letter entered in the search box. I have rebooted and reset to factory defaults to no avail. I called tech support and got bumped to second level who did not have any suggestions except to see if the overnight update would correct the problem. I'll wait and see...

2. jhsanchez

jhsanchez Legend

Feb 4, 2006
    Tucson AZ
    Just to follow up, after night's update everything appears ok. I suspect that the guide data had to be hashed into a searchable format but that is just a guess

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    there wasn't any way to do manual FW update before ...
    how you did that ? step-by-step please

4. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    I think it is an option introduced with 334 which I do not have yet. YMMV

5. jhsanchez

jhsanchez Legend

Feb 4, 2006
    Tucson AZ
    Diagnostics receiver scroll down and there is an option there

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    that's new ... cold you post a screenshot, please ?

7. jhsanchez

jhsanchez Legend

Feb 4, 2006
    Tucson AZ
    Apparently the option only shows up when a new release if ready for your hardware. It is no longer on my h3

8. Jan 1, 2017 #8 of 28
    MVL999

MVL999 Cool Member

May 14, 2004
    I have the same problem with the timers. Any solution other than waiting for overnight update?

9. Jan 1, 2017 #9 of 28
    jhsanchez

jhsanchez Legend

Feb 4, 2006
    Tucson AZ
    Neither I nor tech support could find one.

10. MVL999

MVL999 Cool Member

May 14, 2004
    I have a hopper 3 with the U334 software.as of yesterday I can no longer record anything. It says it is recording ,but nothing is recording. The guide is working fine. In addition my one joey doesn't connect, even though my hopper says everything is fine. I have the upgrade option, however I have tried many times to upgrade without success. It keeps on rebooting and it attempts to download, but the green bar gets to about a 1/4 done then it reboots and starts the process all over again. I have done many soft and hard resets. Any ideas???
    Thanks,
    Mike

11. jhsanchez

jhsanchez Legend

Feb 4, 2006
    Tucson AZ
    If I were to guess, then I'd say it has a hardware failure. I'd get a replacement box.

12. bjf2007

bjf2007 Cool Member

Oct 21, 2007
    I'm having the same problem. I have a H3 with 334. Did manual forced update to get the latest version.
    My DVR is doing exactly the same thing as the other poster MVL999 had happen to them. It reboots and trys again and again.
    But never can fully download new version. And it won't record anything. Says it is but there is no recordings.
    Even if I say record a program and then try to stop the recording it does nothing.

I can still see my old recordings and play them.

And watch live tv and pause live tv but nothing records.

It's not gone over night yet but I've tried hard reboots with unplugging and even forced another manual update but still does the same thing.

I have 334 from 12-20-16 date.

And it's still showing as current version in settings.

I would like to be able to record.

C'mon Dish Network lets get this bug fixed ASAP.

bjf

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    @bjf, I would be persistent and load the damn U336 !

14. bjf2007

bjf2007 Cool Member

Oct 21, 2007
    My H3 is still in endless reboot mode.
    Like other poster mentioned it gets 1/4 way through download and stops.
    Reboots and trys again and again. All day yesterday, all night and today.

Not even sure if it'll settle down and let you view a full previously recorded show without
    attempting to reboot.

On the current download attempt to update I chose the stop option but now it's rebooting again.

Is anyone from Dish tech support aware of this error bug and attempting to fix.

I have a nice boat anchor at this point.

Why on Earth would they have a manual update mode that then causes this.
    I thought only microsoft did such badly thought out things.

I'm also looking at the dates here and this goes back to to nearly 2 weeks from the other posters.

Were the other posters successful in updating are just give up?

bjf

15. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    I've read somewhere that leaving a Joey connected to your Hopper and powered on can cause the upgrade to fail. Do you have any Joey turned on?

16. JS_racer

JS_racer Cool Member

Aug 25, 2007
    I had the same reboot during 336 download, about 1/5 of the way in.
    I unpaired my 40 and 50 remotes, so only the 52 was paired. Downloaded perfect, with no issues, fast, easy as could be. My box rebooted a bunch of times before unpairing, might have just been the 40, not sure.

The update was very quick after that, I kept the TV on monitoring progress.
    Hope this helps!!

I had both Joey boxes unplugged, so no power until after the update. (Still rebooted until unpairing remotes)

17. bjf2007

bjf2007 Cool Member

Oct 21, 2007
    I called Dish tech support after my endless rebooting of the H3.
    And failed download attempt after attempt.

Talked to an advanced tech.

Said my H3 was current with 334.
    Should not have had the manual update option.

Told them about the other posters here with similar problem.

Tech said they had others had called in with like problems and were working on it.

Said there are three versions of software 332 334 336 out on the same day.

I tried all reboot options to no success.

Tech said if I was connected to a power strip / surge protector to unplug and go directly into wall.
    Something about static in the strip screwing up the juice and the H3 booting correctly.
    After 24 hours said ok to plug into power strip again.

Also I plugged into wall a/c rebooted again and pushed the power button inside the front flap door.

So at some point in the later evening I turned on tv and saw the box was actually downloading a full software update.

It finished and the next day I checked it out.

So I now have "336". Even though the tech said I was not due for this version for my box.

Also, I can record again !!!

And also I now can format an external hard drive again!!!!

For weeks and more likely months I've tried various WD My Books 2tb, 3tb, 4tb and nothing would format.

So it's pretty obvious Dish software was the culprit.

My other major problem has been many of my recordings record and when played back are either black screens for x minutes or black that will immediately be ready to delete.

OR the other odd thing is the recording is fine and then a day later or days later it then shows black screen of a formerly good recording.

So I'm waiting to see if that problem is solved with 336.

ESPN channels and Fox Sports regional and Fox Sports 1 and 2 did this a LOT.

Other channels were perfect ever time.

Thought I give those interested an update.

bjf

18. JS_racer

JS_racer Cool Member

Aug 25, 2007
    good, glad you made some progress.
    what remote controls do you have connected to your hopper 3 ??

19. bjf2007

bjf2007 Cool Member

Oct 21, 2007
    I have the black 40 old style in UHF mode.
    And I have the newer 52. Both are usable.

I rarely use the 52 as I don't like the design and missing buttons that the 40 has.

There are a few things you need the 52 for to get into some menu's.
    At the moment I'm forgetting I think setting Manual Timers were one of the things.

So far I've not had any bad/black recordings.

Also, I don't have any joeys or other boxes.

Hoping this 336 update finally fixes all the trouble I've had for months.

I also asked the advanced tech why no update for larger external hard drives.
    The WD 2tb My Book is rare and hard to find anywhere.

Why not have a update to allow full use of 3tb,4tb or even larger.

The tech was also unsure why they've not done this.
    But tech wasn't really that concerned about it either.

With all the hype Dish did with this feature a few years ago it's puzzling now they haven't bothered to update
    their software as the computer world keeps moving forward to larger capacity for the same money.

I plan to get that external shell someone posted about and use standard hard drives with it rather than these
    WD My Books. This might be the only working option in the next few years if Dish doesn't update software for EHD size limits.

bjf

20. JS_racer

JS_racer Cool Member

Aug 25, 2007
    the second i unpaired my 40 remote, the update went without a hitch. the H3 would reboot several times trying the download before that.
    once the 40 remote was unpaired, the update took say under 30 minutes total. (i repaired after the update)

glad it worked out, but sounds like they blow lots of smoke.

fudpucker likes this.