1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Cannot watch PC videos on Directv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by thebigeazy, Apr 27, 2013.

1. thebigeazy

thebigeazy Cool Member

May 12, 2006
    South Louisiana
    I have some video clips on my PC that I want to watch on Directv.

I can see my pictures, and play them as slide shows. I can see the video titles, but when I click on them it will not play.

All of the videos are from my digital video camera in AVI or WMV format.

I was told I had to convert the video in order to play them. Into what format should I convert them?

I have Windows Media Player installed.

Any suggestions?

2. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise DBSTalk Club

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Media Share initially only would display MPEG2 content. I believe some other codecs have been added, but do not know what restrictions apply (I no longer use it since adding a WD TV Live to my setup).

3. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    if you install a media server software on your computer like Serviio for example than you can watch your videos on any format, once you install than you can open the software and add your folders where you have your saved videos or any files you want to playback from your folders than save it, then it should appear on mediashare.

4. acostapimps

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Media sharing has to be enabled first on PC on "Network and Sharing Center" and it has to show the Directv DVR with the IP address on the software before anything and the server has to be running.

5. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    If it were only that easy. Not all files play correctly and MediaShare is horrible on the receivers. Overly compressed avi files typically work, but good luck getting 720p or higher to work. My plasma even plays 1080p files perfect from my PC.

I always advise those looking to stream files, get a DLNA BluRay player, Boxee, etc...anything is better than DirecTV boxes and use oShare to serve.

6. acostapimps

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    I don't see the complication as all my youtube videos 720p or higher plays well on the HR24 and 22, even my HQ movies play well. The only issue i see is pictures degrading which is the server, as I don't see that on TVersity.

7. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    A server shouldn't degrade a file; it defeats the purpose of having a high quality file. I've never been able to play a 1080p/24 file on a DirecTV receiver with any server. Everything plays great on my Oppo BR, TV, old LG BR.