1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't Add Receivers to New Account

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DocBM, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 8, 2007 #1 of 21
    DocBM

DocBM Cool Member

Jun 21, 2007
    My inlaws just added Directv to their house about 5 weeks ago. (3 total receivers)
    They just called in to Directv because they wanted to add a standard receiver in their basement gameroom.

They were told by the CSR that they would have to $70 for a new receiver plus $50 because the account wasn't active for more than 6 months. The were told the account was in a probationary period. I am not sure of the exact terminology because I did not make the call.

Does this sound right? I have never heard of this and I have not seen any other posts in this forum concerning this. Please advise

2. Oct 8, 2007 #2 of 21
    PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Doesn't sound right to me. Tell them to call back.

3. Oct 8, 2007 #3 of 21
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Unless something has changed recently...

This doesn't sound normal

4. Oct 8, 2007 #4 of 21
    TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    They might want to try a different approach.

Have them call D* and say something along the lines of, "I originally wanted three receivers, but the workorder was messed up and only had two on it. The installer only had two with him since that is all he thought he needed, so that is all he installed. Is there anything you guys can do to help?"

Tell them to be really nice to the csr when they are explaining this. It may not help, but they are already looking at the worse case scenerio, so it can't hurt.

5. Oct 9, 2007 #5 of 21
    gizzorge

gizzorge Legend

Jul 31, 2007
    Weel, if the CSRs won't budge, tell them to go to the website, login, and click on UPGRADE EQUIPMENT.

Then they can use the DVR4U2 code and get a standard DVR for free with free installation. Just be sure they choose the right option where it asks if they need to relocate a receiver.

That could work, assuming they already pay the DVR fee. Otherwise, it's going to add the monthly DVR fee to their account.

6. Oct 9, 2007 #6 of 21
    paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I have heard of D* doing a similar thing when the new customer's credit report does not show much credit.

It doesn't necessarily mean bad credit, just not much credit history.

7. Oct 9, 2007 #7 of 21
    Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I have heard similar reports. I wonder if this could also be something new since DIRECTV contracted with that company several months ago to do certain types of background checks and analysis of spending patterns, etc. Maybe one of the recommendations the company made was to change how new customers are handled?

8. Oct 9, 2007 #8 of 21
    projectorguru

projectorguru Godfather

Mar 5, 2007
    Actually this is normal, same thing happened to me with Dish, once your a customer your screwed

9. Oct 9, 2007 #9 of 21
    surfbird

surfbird Legend

Sep 9, 2006
    don't think that code works.. I can't use it for a dvr anymore thru main system.. how long since install? cis should be able to see or contact hsp & if recent install they can request the work order corrected.

Worse case scenerio.. send in the marines, oops retention.. & honestly in all case scenerios.. you really can get better service if you keep your cool about a situation.. The reps aren't the bad guys.. but the computers & policies keep reps from doing things.. ok..

10. braven

braven Hall Of Fame

Apr 9, 2007

I just tried using the DVR4U2 code and it worked.

11. axl

axl AllStar

Sep 12, 2007
    Yeah just talk to them and try to get something worked out. Usually if you are nice then things can get taken care of. I haven't heard of them doing this before, nor have I ever had that type of problem.

12. chris8796

chris8796 AllStar

Aug 19, 2007
    I had the same issue with them. I ended up using the dvr code and getting a std dvr. I already had the HR20 so no new fees.

If you upgrade online, I don't think you'll get the extra $50 fee, even if you get a standard box $70.

13. Coffey77

Coffey77 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Nov 12, 2006
    When I first opened my DIRECTV account years ago, I believe I remember having to put down a $400 deposit as I had little to no credit rating.

14. DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004

This has been going on for about a year now, although for the last couple of mos, our system wasn't making us charge the extra 50.00 for some reason, but now it's back to working again, and so yes, every new customer (less than 6 mos) has to pay a new cust 50.00 fee, nothing to do with credit rating. It's to recover some of the cost of upgrading new customers, since we just spent hundreds of dollars to acquire them with free standard equipment and free standard install etc.....

15. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    No thats incorrect. Under 90 day warranty call back get a rep tell them you want to talk to the Installation Dept.

You can get up to 4 standard receivers free w/ install. Under your 90 day warranty means you're still applicable for the 4th receiver.

HAHA, I just jumped in without even reading past the second post
    =P

16. happydole

happydole New Member

Aug 5, 2007
    wow guys, thanks for the tip! I just used the coupon code - Total: $0.00!!! Thanks!

17. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    And they might even get a free dish upgrade and/or a free multiswitch because they already have 3 receivers and the new DVR requires 2 inputs to be properly installed!! :hurah:

18. gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    If you already used the "code", you won't be allowed for another year to use it. it's a once a year offer.

19. surfbird

surfbird Legend

Sep 9, 2006

then it needs to be deleted with dtv.. this code was specifically suppose to have been used in certain areas.. as replacement for those that had r10, this is an old code over a year old. & this never should have been released in a forum so you can go online & get free dvr when you may not have qualified for it.

makes u wonder why dtv has to charge extra for equipment.. codes that give away stuff for free & phone numbers (that have to been changed because being misused) being released when it is confidental info.

20. surfbird

surfbird Legend

Sep 9, 2006
    CORRECT..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.