1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't believe how easy that was...networking that is

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bonscott87, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Hooking my HR20-700 to my network was about the most painless thing I have done.

Now it took me about an hour to run cables and all that but this is what I did on the HR20:

1) Hooked up ethernet cable to HR20.
    2) Performed Network setup and everthing passed the test, connected to DirecTV
    3) Went to both PCs and setup WMP11 for sharing
    4) Went back to HR20 and Music and Photos now appear as a menu option. Able to play various MP3s and watch photos from both computers.
    5) Never needed to reboot the HR20 to get any of it to work.

I can't wait for the Video option to be enabled.
    Oh, and VOD as well. :)

2. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Yep, it's pretty easy to do as long as your other network equipment is working as it should. You don't need a CCNA to pull it off, but having one certainly doesn't hurt :lol:

3. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    I'd just have my wife fix it, she's A+ certified. ;) And I'm not, and I get reminded of that from time to time. :D

4. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    For those who do not know what CCNA is...

Cannot comprehend network acronyms! :lol:

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Oh you're bad.

To be fair...

CCNA = Cisco Certified Network Associate

6. HouseBowlrz

HouseBowlrz Godfather

Jul 15, 2007
    Centreville, VA
    However, I've had the unfortunate pleasure of regular freeze/lock ups whenever I have connected my HR-20 to my network. :(

I suspect that I will need help from D* once VOD is launched. :nono2:

7. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    HB,

Do you have UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) active on any of the equipment on your network?

8. Italfra1

Italfra1 Godfather

Dec 22, 2005

Can you tell me what I would gain by hooking up my HR20-700 to my network. We have DSL and a Wireless-G 2.4 GHz Broadband Router with Speed Booster. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this kind of stuff but my wife is a computer wiz.

I'm also wondering if it's a problem that the HR-20-700 is set up in the living room and the computer and router is set up in the office down the hall. Just trying to figure it all out and how I begin setting up my network.

Thx.

9. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    You can share music and photos with your computer, and when video-on-demand comes, you'll be ready.

10. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    That's about how all of mine went too :)

11. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    To add on to what Stuart already said DIRECTV will also be adding streaming video from a PC at some point and if you have more then one HR20 network you will be able to use MRV (multi room viewing) when that is added later on also.

12. Italfra1

Italfra1 Godfather

Dec 22, 2005

I currently listen to alot of music on my computer from Grateful Dead archive sites and lot's of other music websites. Sites that play entire concerts. The problem is listening to them on a tiny speaker through my laptop doesn't do the music justice.

Are you telling me that by networking the HR20-700 I'll be able to pull up music on my laptop and listen and view it through my home stereo? If that's the case I need to figure out how to hook that up. I'm concerned that the t.v and reciever is in one room and the computer equipment is in another. I don't want cables running all over the house. Am I understanding this correctly. thx.

13. Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    What the pc does is share files, jpg and mp3, to the network via a media server software. So it will not play songs from other websites or streaming audio/video from the PC. The files must be saved in a directory and shared to the home network. There are also limitations on some mp3/wma files that are purchased over the internet and downloaded thanks to Wimdows DRM function, not all of them may play.

14. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Don't worry, A+ cert means almost nothing :lol:

No offense to your wife though of course :D

15. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    No offense taken. :) It's required for her job though. I'm just too dang lazy. Every time over the past decade I get the urge to get certified (like MCSE or something) after about 2 days I say to myself that I did enough studying in college and I've had enough. It's probably hurt me in the past but now I'm old enough that most companies will hire the young kid before me anyway. I'll keep doing the thing nobody wants to do...support. :) Seems to be my niche.

16. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    Sounds like you probalby have the same or similar Linksys router I have. You have 2 options:
    1) Run a cable from the router to the HR20, just like you have a cable from the router to your computer
    2) Get a wireless game adapter. Then you run a cable from the HR20 to the wireless game adapter and then it connects to your router wirelessly.

Doing #1 will be a lot cheaper.

Here is what I did.
    My computer room is on the 1st floor. My home theater is in the basement on the opposite end of the house. Wireless would have been the "easiest" but I wanted wired for reliability and speed. So I drilled a hole in the floor of the computer room and ran 50" cat 6 from the router to my "media closet" in the basement. Now this cable could have gone direct to the HR20 but I'm thinking about the future of more receivers/devices needing to be on the network so I got a cheap 8 port switch. So cable from router to the switch. Then a 10 foot cable from switch to HR20.

It took me longer to run the cable and make it look good then it did to get the HR20 running.

17. Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    :D

18. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    Just for a data point I have no UPnP devices on my network. Just 2 computers and a laptop (and now the HR20). That is it.

19. VLaslow

VLaslow Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    And, you can do it wirelessly.

20. Italfra1

Italfra1 Godfather

Dec 22, 2005

Thanks for explaining my options. I would love to do options #1 and run the wire from the office to the t.v. room under the house so no wires are noticable and that I have the best reliability and speed but it's quite a long distance and my crawl space under my house is a nightmare. Barely a depth of 14 inches.

We do have the same Linksy's wireless router. So I can still connect the network by using a wireless game adapter and running a cable to the HR20? This will eliminate the long cable from the router in the office, correct?

I want to play music from my computer on my home stereo. It sounds like any music that I find on a website will have to be put in a file before it can be played on the home stereo. Sorry for being so clueless? Any idea on the cost of a game adapter and how it will be as far as reliability and speed. THx.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.