1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Cant Figure this out!!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by 4louie4, Jan 10, 2011.

Tags:
  1. 4louie4

4louie4 New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    I've got HD with the 5 LNB Slimline dish. This is what i cant figure out, I've got strong signal on 101 - 91%, 110 - 97%, but 119 is zero on all transponders, but I get all channels no problem. I looked up what channels come in on sat 119 and i get them all perfectly. the other problem is with guide info, its all there most of the time but once in a while i get the alerts saying receiver hasn't received guide info for x amount of hours. Then sometimes all that appears is "regular scheduling" on all channels (just when the receiver is off most of day then turned on in the evening after work). I reset the receiver and guide info is back. Why would sat 119 give zeros on the signal meter but i still get every channel? The only thing i can think of is that my receiver is faulty. Also, i changed the B-band converter a while ago which helped the guide info (it used to be a lot worse).

2. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    there will be 22-32 transponders for the 119 what do they all read and which channels are checking that you say come from 119?

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    First, there are no HD channels on 119, only SD locals for some DMAs, latino, and the Jade World (Chinese) package. Most new installs don't even use an LNB that picks up 110 or 119.

BUT... if you have an SL5 LNB, then you MUST be able to pick up 119, or you'll have guide data issues, as you've noticed.

The most common reason for having problems is that your Line-Of-Site (LOS) to 119 is being blocked by something, probably a tree. Standing behind your dish, look about 20 degrees to your left. If you see anything there, chances are your 119 is being blocked.

The ONLY solutions to this problem are: either move the dish where LOS to 119 is clear, or swap the LNB with an SL3 which uses a different stack plan inside the switch and doesn't need 119.

NOTE: you CANNOT fix this problem by reconfiguring the receiver.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Battlezone is right and let me be clear. Just "telling" the receiver that you have an SL3 instead of an SL5 doesn't work. It may seem like it at first but down the line you'll have problems.

5. kymikes

kymikes Icon

Jan 15, 2008
    Kentucky
    This is a 'shot in the dark' but I had the opposite problem recently and found the problem to be ice that had selectively covered parts of the plastic covers on the LNB. Cleared the ice, cured the problem. YMMV.

6. 4louie4

4louie4 New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Usually 22-32 says all zeros. But today im getting 51% on 25. 43% on 29. I thought the local hd channels, The ESPNs, HD theater. Maybe im mistaken and there arent any meaningful channels on 119 just guide info and an alignment is all i need.

7. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    Local HD's will be on 99s or 103s, and the espn HD/HD theater/etc channels will be on 99c or 103ca or 103cb.

:)

8. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    yeah none of those channels will be on 119 if your signals are low like that and usually ready 0 then you may have a line of sight problem and right now the trees are just allowing some signal through with wind, snow, & rain blowing trees can lean one way and then next day lean another.

9. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    All those channels used to be on 119, back in the MPEG2 days, now they are all on 99, or 103....but if you have a 5LNB dish, you have to be able to get a signal on 119 for guide data...you may have a failing LNB assembly, or a cabling issue..

10. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    I thought there are two new Spanish hd channels on 119. No?