1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't find detailed information on Dishnetwork install

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by AMartin56, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 4, 2006 #1 of 11
    AMartin56

AMartin56 New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    I'm looking to move to Dishnetwork to get away from my horrible local cable. I've tried ordering online, but their website doesn't seem to provide the level of detail I'm looking for and I can't seem to get my questions answered in chat either. I was hoping someone with a similar setup might be able to tell me how their installation went.

I have one HDTV that I want to be on DVR and 2 standard TV's, When I ask them what receivers I'll get they say one VipP622and one 322. Sounds good to me, but I don't understand how they will wire it.

Their standard install says they will do one wall penetration and provide 120 feet of cable. I don't understand how they will be able to wire three tv's in different areas of the house under these constraints. One TV is near where I would imagine they will put the dish ( we have a lot of trees in our yard but luckily there is one nice sized gap in the direction of the satellite...asuming I'm reading their website correctly) but the other TV is on an exterior wall on the other side of the house and the HD set is in the middle of the house in an interior wall!

When I ask the guy in chat if they will do additional service he says it's $59 and I find it hard to believe that's a flat rate so $59 per what? Another wall penetration?

I also don't understand how a dual tuner receiver is wired when the TV's are very far apart...I assume the remote is wireless (I'm familar with that from way back when when I had dish before) but don't they still have to run wire everywhere? And doesn't that 120ft limit get reached really quick?

I'm excited about the idea of Dishnetwork, but I'm worried about how vague it all is. I don't want them to come out with the wrong hardware or try to bury me in additional installation charges....

Thank you in advance for any info you can provide.

2. Jul 5, 2006 #2 of 11
    kf4omc

kf4omc Godfather

Apr 11, 2006
    You said You had Cable. Right? Well I know with my install they used the exsisting Cable wireing in my house to run everything. More than likely they would do the same for you. I have 4 TVs and I have 1 625 DVR in the Master Bedroom and that is also hooked up to the TV in the Living Room. I also Have 1 322 that is in my Daughter's room and the 2nd output goes to my sons's room. All hooked up using the cable tv wiring already in the house.

3. Jul 5, 2006 #3 of 11
    AMartin56

AMartin56 New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Thanks...my only concern is that I don't think they will be able to do that. We are keeping cable modem service.

Sorry I should have mentioned that.

4. Jul 5, 2006 #4 of 11
    rcdallas

rcdallas Mentor

Jun 3, 2006
    First you never mentioned if you have a crawlspace or a basement.

I try to locate the ground block and make my point of entry next to the existing utilities coming in. It's easy to find a ground.

You said you are keeping your existing internet, that's no problem. I assume you have home runs going to a splitter near your breaker panel. Quite possible to use the existing line for the backfeed of the 322 and diplex the line (if neccessary) for the tv located where you think the dish might need to be installed.

Assuming the HDTV has a homerun going to the splitter quite possibly use the existing line as well.

There is a lot of variables, for me its best bet to see what I am installing it on physically in order to answer your question.

Your making out getting a 622 and a 322, you could use the 622 for TV2 output, so essentially you'll have the foundation for a 4 room install for the price of a 2 room, being you have a phone line connected to both IRDs.

5. Jul 5, 2006 #5 of 11
    AMartin56

AMartin56 New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Thanks for the info. Can't say I know what an IRD is but the rest makes sense. The house is pier and beam AND has a crawlspace over the interior wall where the HD set is.

Currently no jack where the HD set is...we run 50ft of cable under a rug. :(

6. Jul 5, 2006 #6 of 11
    BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    IRD = integrated receiver/decoder

7. Jul 5, 2006 #7 of 11
    Steve H

Steve H Icon

May 15, 2006
    One thing I would make sure of is that your existing coax is the same that is needed for the HD signal. I had a 622 installed a couple of months ago and they reused the old coax, the picture was pretty poor on many of the HD channels. Dish sent a Field Service Mananger out and he rewired the whole HD run of coax using one that can handle a higher frequency, it made a BIG difference.

8. Jul 5, 2006 #8 of 11
    AMartin56

AMartin56 New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Thanks everyone for the info. I guess what confuses me the most is that Dishnetwork says they will only do so much on an install (One wall pentration and 120 feet of cable) and other folks seem to describe installation techs doing 'whatever it takes' to get it wired.

I also wish I had a better idea of what dish I would be provided with. Some folks mention two...I have one gap in the canopy of trees over our house that happens to be perfect for what the Dishnetwork website calls for (azimuth 204 for 78626) but if they need any other directions I imagine it may get expensive to get some of these huge trees trimmed. For perspective our house was built in the late 1800's....we have some really nice trees.

9. Jul 5, 2006 #9 of 11
    rcdallas

rcdallas Mentor

Jun 3, 2006
    Being with the case as mentioned, crawlspace, HD set in the middle, if I was the tech out to do the install I would just run a new line and be done... "one and done".

Bring two lines in from the point of entry, one to the tv located near the dish, the other to the HDTV in the middle of the house, if the line going to the tv on the otherside of the house looks alright I would use that as my backfeed off of TV2 on the 322 since TV2 output does not need the 2150 MHZ rating since it's still within the VHF/UHF band range.

Sounds like a simple 1-2-3 install, providing your crawlspace isn't flooded out or has monster's underneath... I LOVE trailer park homes! :grin:

If you don't have a jack, either run a line yourself or go with a wireless jack (not as reliable).

10. robert koerner

robert koerner Icon

Aug 20, 2005
    Some times the installers simply do not understand what they are taught to do.

Plus, it might be easier, faster for the installers to get it done quickly vrs doing the best possible.

Since there are people on this site who actually understand the physics behind what is necessary, I'd want a very good idea of what should be done, and why, before I'd let any installers start drilling holes in my house.

I told the first installers Dish sent here to get off my roof and off my property. They were making up stories to cover up that they didn't have the necessary parts to do the install. The stories they made up were just plain SILLY.

According to Dish tech support, they only warranty what the installers do for 30 days, even if something is done WRONG.

It might be advantageous to sign up for Dish with a local major retailer? Or a local that does it's own installs?

Bob

11. robert koerner

robert koerner Icon

Aug 20, 2005
    Oh.

Once you get used to recording what you want to watch, especially with a dual tuner, record two programs at the same time while watching one you've already recorded, you won't watch live TV unless it is a sports broadcast?

Before I'd agree to a unit that does not record, I'd want to see what it would cost to upgrade to a DVR.

I record everything I might be interested in. I start play back, if its boring I simply delete it.

I've captured some interesting lectures on the Research channel.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.