1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Can't get HR21-700 to see new hard drive

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sweetpete, Jul 25, 2010.

1. sweetpete

sweetpete New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Hi All,

I spent about an hour this morning searching and reading the various discussions in this forum regarding upgrading the internal hard drive of a HR2x receiver, but haven't found a solution to my problem.

I tried replacing the WD 330G HD in my HR21-700 with a WD 1TB unit. When I boot up the receiver, it goes through a few of the startup steps, but never gets to a "Formatting hard drive..." screen, and I instead end up with a blue screen saying there's something wrong with the hard drive, etc., error 14-909. I put back the original HD and everything works fine.

From what I've read here, the HR21 should have automatically formatted the new HD on boot. I tried the REC-DOWN ARROW trick, the SELECT button trick to access the diagnostic menus, etc. Nothing works. I did plug the new HD into my PC and ran SpinRite, and it says everything is OK.

Any ideas? I suppose I could buy an external eSATA enclosure, but I'm wondering if I will have the same problem.

Suggestions?

2. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise DBSTalk Club

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
  3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What model of WD HDD do you have?

Rich

4. sweetpete

sweetpete New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for responding so quickly. I have the WD1002FAEX (1TB, 64MB cache). I'll search that discussion mentioned above.

5. sweetpete

sweetpete New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Guys,

Also, this drive is NOT an Advanced Format drive:

"http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=870"

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I think we've found your problem. I'm not positive, but I think that might be an EARS HDD and if it is it's not gonna work. Better to get the WD EVDS HDD drives. In any event, I haven't heard of any HDDs with a 64MB cache that work with the HRs.

Rich

7. sweetpete

sweetpete New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Rich,

So, one of these?

"http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136496&cm_re=western_digital_av-_-22-136-496-_-Product"

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yes, but I'd buy it from Amazon. They have no restocking fees. Also, you might want to consider the 1.5TB version of that same model. Just a few bucks more.

Rich

9. sweetpete

sweetpete New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Thanks Rich - will do!