1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant get iPad App to see receivers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by greenwave, Dec 17, 2011.

1. greenwave

greenwave Legend

Oct 23, 2006
    Have my whole home setup working just fine, but my iPad just won't see my receivers, even if I try to input IP addresses manually. My DSL line goes direct to my modem, which is connected by CAT5 to a Buffalo b/g/n wireless router, with CAT5 directly from the router to the powered DECA thingy Directv installed, and my 3 receivers (2 HRs and one H) networked through coax/DECA. So my receivers are hard-wired to my home network.

Why can't my iPad see my receivers? Is there some setting on my router I need to adjust? Thanks so much for your thoughts/guidance.

2. phoneman06

phoneman06 Mentor

Feb 20, 2005
    Check the following setting: Settings>Whole Home>External Device>External Access. Should be set to allow.

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Also check to make sure you iPad is on your network. Mine always "jumps" to my neighbors when I'm in the back of the house (where my signal is weaker and his is stronger).

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Just to add, make sure all your devices are getting IP addresses on the same subnet, this stuff only works on 1 subnet...

5. greenwave

greenwave Legend

Oct 23, 2006
    What does that mean? How do I check this or correct it? I suspect that is precisely the problem. Thanks!

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Actually, I would gather more that either your iPad is not connecting to your network or that you do not have External Devices Access turned on for your receivers.

If you want to check the subnet, go into Network Settingso on the receivers. They should be set up for a Subnet of 255.255.255.0 as well as the subnet for your iPad, which can be seen under the Network Settings on the iPad.

- Merg

7. greenwave

greenwave Legend

Oct 23, 2006
    Thanks Merg. iPad is connected to our secure home wifi network, and the External Devices Access has been turned on for each of my receivers ever since I had whole home installed last year. I've never messed with the subnet settings on my iPad, though -- is this something I can manually change? If I do that, will I still be able to access my home wifi network?

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    The next thing I would check would be to see if the receivers are actually connecting to your home network and are not just getting APIPA (automatic private IP address). This is the case where the receivers will default to an IP address of 169.254.x.x. While they will then be able to see each other, nothing on your network will be able to see them (they will also be on a different subnet -- 255.255.0.0).

Go to Setup --> Info & Test --> More System Info and then scroll down and get the IP address, gatetway, and DNS for your receiver and post them here.

- Merg

9. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Thats not really the subnet, thats the subnet mask.....completely different things...

To the OP:

Find out what your receiver's IP addresses are as suggested above. They are most likely something like 192.168.1.xxx, etc....but if you are getting 169.254.xxx.xxx, then they are not getting IP addresses from your network correctly. Check the iPad as well, it also needs to have the same address range, not the exact same address..so it should also have a 192.168.1.xxx like your DVR's....

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Thanks for the catch. That's what I get for not rereading what I type before I post it. :)

- Merg

11. greenwave

greenwave Legend

Oct 23, 2006
    IPad network IP address is 192.168.11.2,

My 2 HRs have the following IP addresses:

HR20-700: 192.168.11.8
    HR23-700: 192.168.11.10

Both HRs and the iPad have subnet mask 255.255.255.0, and show default gateway and DNS 192.168.11.1.

IPad shows IP address "DHCP" and "HTTP Proxy" is "OFF"

Thoughts?

12. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    All your network settings look fine.

The list of receivers in the iPad app comes from your directv account, not by polling your network. Are the receivers listed in the settings section of the iPad app? If not, then the app isn't logging into your account successfully. Check the login settings, and check to make sure that the receivers are listed correctly under your account on directv.com.

If all of this looks okay, I'd try deleting and reinstalling the iPad app.

13. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Also check that RID values for your receivers match.

iPad -> Settings -> Receivers (should show the last 4 digits)
    STB -> Live TV Hit "dash" button (should show the last 6 digits)

Make sure at least those numbers match (the other 8 should match as well, but you can't see the full number on the iPad.

If those still pan out...

Run this command from a computer on the same network:

http://<ip address of stb>:8080/info/getVersion

(Best to run in Firefox or Safari, as IE will try to download the output... just save it to disk and view with notepad).

14. greenwave

greenwave Legend

Oct 23, 2006
    Thank you Earl. Here is the result from that query regarding the STB in my bedroom (H24/200):

{
    "accessCardId": "XXXX-XXXX-XXXX",
    "receiverId": "XXXX XXXX XXXX",
    "status": {
    "code": 200,
    "commandResult": 0,
    "msg": "OK.",
    "query": "/info/getVersion"
    },
    "stbSoftwareVersion": "0x57b",
    "systemTime": 1324560050,
    "version": "1.3"
    }

And here is the data for the HR20-700 downstairs:

{
    "accessCardId": "XXXX-XXXX-XXXX",
    "receiverId": "XXXX XXXX XXXX",
    "status": {
    "code": 200,
    "commandResult": 0,
    "msg": "OK.",
    "query": "/info/getVersion"
    },
    "stbSoftwareVersion": "0x57b",
    "systemTime": 1324560592,
    "version": "1.3"
    }

15. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Does the last 4 digits of the rid, match what you see when you tap on the settings button in the iPad app?

16. greenwave

greenwave Legend

Oct 23, 2006
    yes

17. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Can you run that http://<ip>:8080/info/getVersion

From Safari on the iPad ?

18. bfisk

bfisk New Member

Dec 23, 2011
    Thanks for all of these tips, I was able to use them but it was still not seeing my receivers until I turned off AP isolation on my wireless router.

It is a WRT300N. AP isolation is under advanced wireless settings (on my router).

All is running great and very fast!

19. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Completely forgot about that setting. It's not a common setting to be used and It's not on by default. Do you remember turning it on?

- Merg

20. greenwave

greenwave Legend

Oct 23, 2006
    I have a Buffalo router...and have no idea what "AP isolation" means and don't see a reference to it under the advanced wireless settings. Might it be called something else in the Buffalo settings?