1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Can't keep front blue ring on HR20-100 off

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JohnF, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Feb 3, 2014 #1 of 13
    JohnF

JohnF Mentor

Mar 31, 2007
    This started a few months ago and I had the unit unplugged until recently. (Used another unit, an HR44-500)

On the HR20-100 in the past I could press the buttons to the left and right of the blue ring simultaneously 4 or 5 times and the ring light would go off and stay off. Now it comes back on after a couple of hours. Also, if I press the power off, it will go off, but come back on with the blue ring on after a couple of hours.

Any suggestions on how I can get it to work like it did in the past?

Thanks,

2. Feb 3, 2014 #2 of 13
    inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    If its coming back then its because it rebooted most likely.

3. Feb 3, 2014 #3 of 13
    JohnF

JohnF Mentor

Mar 31, 2007
    Thanks. Most likely that is what is happening. Next question is why it would reboot so often. Power cord plugged in securely and house power not fluctuating. It's a pretty old unit. Maybe I need to check to see if they want to swap it via the Protection Plan.

4. Feb 3, 2014 #4 of 13
    inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    run a system test and see if it notes anything. Could be a bad hard drive or any number of things

5. Feb 3, 2014 #5 of 13
    JohnF

JohnF Mentor

Mar 31, 2007
    Good suggestion. Only thing reported is "Cannot Detect Home Network. Your receiver is configured to work with a home network but the network was not detected. Please check your network cabling and equipment..."

In the past I was interested in experimenting with the Home Network feature but the Connected Home Adapter DCA2SR0-01 appeared defective. No lights came on. They sent me a new one but I never bothered to install it because I decided I didn't care about a Home Network. Could that be causing the reboots?

6. Feb 4, 2014 #6 of 13
    Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    If you have other equipment hooked up using DECA then you need to have either a bandstop filter, or the DECA hooked up to the HR20 or you can have issues. I'm not 100% sure that it would be the cause of the issues you are having right now though.

The HR20 was likely rebooting because it was updating the software. Since the box has been unhooked for a while it is likely behind on the software and has needed to update itself to the latest versions. It might have had to do that in a few seperate downloads maybe?

You probably couldn't get he DECA adapter to work because there is a special hookup needed for it to work on the HR20-100 using a 2 way splitter. If you search around here a bit you should be able to find it.

7. Feb 4, 2014 #7 of 13
    JohnF

JohnF Mentor

Mar 31, 2007
    Thanks. All the equipment was installed by the technician. I just replaced the DECA exactly as the original was. I called and they want to send someone out to check and/or replace the HD DVR. I don't feel like waiting around so I'll just let it go for awhile. It's just an annoyance and the unit still works otherwise. Still have the other unit too.

8. Feb 4, 2014 #8 of 13
    peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
  9. Feb 5, 2014 #9 of 13
    Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    The technician could have installed it wrong. Many of them have been known to have issues with hooking up the HR20-100 and think it is just like the others when it isn't. Thats why a lot of them incorrectly think they don't work with DECA/Whole Home DVR at all and just replace them.

If you want to try to get it working yourself I suggest you check out this thread.
    http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/167664-connecting-deca-to-the-hr20-100/

When you say it doesn't light up any of the lights at all that leads me to believe it is not hooked up properly.

10. JohnF

JohnF Mentor

Mar 31, 2007
    Thanks. The link in the OP doesn't work, probably expired since it was in 2010. Couldn't find an updated link in the rest of the thread, but good to know of the issue in general. I'll check around. Thanks again.

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/167664-connecting-deca-to-the-hr20-100/

Scroll down to post # 19 and see the pictures and comments.

12. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
  13. JohnF

JohnF Mentor

Mar 31, 2007
    Thanks to both you guys. Will check it out.