1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't order 2 HD DVRs for initial installation?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by sll, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sll

sll New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    I noticed on the website that you can't order 2 HD DVRs when you order DirectTV. So I called yestarday and ordered over the phone. They said they couldn't do it either so order 1 HD DVR and 1 HD receiver but to call back tomorrow and upgrade the HD receiver to an HD DVR. However, now I'm being told that I can't order 2 HD DVRs and I have to wait 6 months or something (she changed the story 2 or 3 times) before I can upgrade. She said I could by an HD DVR and activate it. This doesn't make any sense to me. What if I have 2 HD TVs and I want an HD DVR on both of them. DirectTV can't help me?

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    There has been a few people that have said this recently. Directv is in short supply. You could go to a retail store or buy one on line and the installer hook it up for you when he gets to your house if you need him to.

3. sore_bluto

sore_bluto Godfather

Mar 15, 2007
    Call back and ask the CSR if you can order 1 HR20 and 1 D11, have them installed, and then call back the very next day after they are installed and upgrade from the D11 to another HR20. This is what I had to do to get 3 "advanced equipment" items installed at the same time. I ordered 1 HR20, 1 H20, and 2 D11s. 1 day after the install, I called D* and ordered an upgrade to a R15 and shipped back one of the D11s. Of course this was a workaround to the 2 item limit on advanced equipment. There may be a different policy regarding multiple HR20s.

I also had the installer on the first visit wire for the 2nd DVR.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Just go buy one of the HR20's at BestBuy or Circuit City. Your installer should be able to set it up with the other one.

5. sll

sll New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    What an absolute pain in the ass. They can't just change my order and delete the HD receiver that I don't want. The have to cancel the whole thing I have to start over. This is taking forever, I'm still on hold.

6. Smuuth

Smuuth Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2005
    You can order two at the same time. They just have to do it as two completely separate orders including two different installation work orders (they can schedule those concurrently for you) and it has to be approved by a supervisor. I just did it on April 16, and they were installed on April 18.

7. John4924

John4924 Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    It must be pretty "hit & miss" with whatever CSR you get. They would NOT let me do what you did. I even asked her to go and check with a supervisor, she came back and said they could not do.

In any case, I ordered additional one online and installed myself, which is no big deal. I would recommend purchasing from solid signal. They have ALWAYS been outstanding in service and delivery...:)

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=02&CAT=&PROD=HR20

Cheers,
    John

8. Smuuth

Smuuth Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2005
    I agree that not all of them know how to do it. The first CSR I talked to said I could do it, but when I called back after discussing the deal with my spouse, the second one said it was impossible. I ended that call very frustrated, and finally called back a day later and got a CSR who knew what she was doing and breezed right through it. It is the luck of the CSR roulette that determines what kind of deal you get. As with any customer-service business, employee quality and dedication vary widely.

9. ibooksrule

ibooksrule Godfather

Feb 16, 2003
    i tried doing this from an online store and ordered 1 then in my shopping cart i added another in my shopping cart and clicked update quanity and ordered it. Not sure if it will actually work but we will find out

10. John4924

John4924 Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    Yes, you can order as many as you want from an online store, just NOT through Directv. I have in fact ordered another one, so I now have 3 HR20-700s :)

Now I am hoping that one day, we will be able to "network" them via ethernet port, and watch any show recorded on any HR20 on any TV! (like a microsoft home network) :D

Earl or Tom, do you know if this is in the works?

Cheers,
    John

11. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I was told max two HR20's by the first two CSR's I spoke with. The third CSR took my order for four HR20's with no problem. Orders were placed about 6 weeks ago. /s

12. wjHunter

wjHunter AllStar

Apr 24, 2007
    Here's my dream scenario:

1) HR20's are networked via the ethernet port.
    2) I record a great program that I know a friend would like
    3) I pick a option to add this program's description to his "Friend's Suggestions" list
    a) Like a Tivo only your friends do the "suggesting"
    (You have a option to setup a list of friends by entering some ID number)
    b) If he wants to watch the program, he accepts the suggestion and the program gets sent to his box for later watching.

I can dream can't I... :)

13. rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    This will never happen. I can possibly see D* allowing shows to be sent to a another box on the subscriber's account, but why would they allow you to send a premium program recorded from a subscription channel like HBO to a friend who only has basic tier programming?

14. ibooksrule

ibooksrule Godfather

Feb 16, 2003
    i just tried this and got an error saying limited to 1 hddvr per order.. Where did you go to do this and did you get the 4100 rebate on both or just 1 of them?

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.