1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't search from IE address bar anymore

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by JBKing, Oct 30, 2004.

1. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    If I type in 'Zogby poll' for example, the following shows up in the address bar http:///?%20zogby%20poll and I get 'The page cannot be displayed'.

I've tried all the different options under Tools - Internet Options - Advanced - Search from the Address Bar, and all settings provide the same negative results.

:confused:

2. kwajr

kwajr Icon

Apr 7, 2004
    just use firefox

3. Selenna

Selenna Fair Lady of the forums DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 18, 2004
    I've never used that feature (I use goggle toolbar) but just curious... do you get the same result if you try to search for something that's only 1 word (no spaces)? Also, when I do a search as you tried to do the results I get include a header from my ISP... any possibility something changed with yours that's screwing stuff up?

4. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Possible spyware hit.

Nowadays, any system that's not running with protection is infected.

5. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Not to rub it in but the same search term works fine in Firefox. So i opened IE and tried and it worked fine. Simon may well be right. Check for spyware.

6. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Sorry, although Firefox still works fine, I'm a Microsoft Man. :)

I'm guessing a spyware problem. I don't know how it slipped through because I have a firewall, Norton Antivirus and Antispam, and Ad-Aware 6, as well as WinXP SP2 full security on. I had some goofy search Instafinder show up one day. After running Add/Remove programs, it didn't take it out, but Ad Aware did. I think that was about the time I lost my search capability from the address bar.

Any thoughts on how to fix it?

Selenna, I get the same results with one word, or several words.

7. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Can some one answer the question posed please? I can't stand it when some one asks a question about one thing and all the responses are how another product works better. That wasn't the question!

I know that somewhere deep in the registry there is a line that selects which search engine to hit. I don't know the answer, but perhaps some one here might.

I'm happy for all of you that like Firefox...I personally DO NOT like the program. (I have tried the latest version and it is still on my computer now.) However this is a thread about MS and the address bar search feature!

See ya
    Tony

8. SAEMike

SAEMike Banned User

May 29, 2004
    Run the big three spyware programs, Spybot, Ad Aware and Webroot Spy Sweeper. Then click the search button, click advanced settings and choose Google sites. (Assuming you want Google) This should work, it did when the same thing happened to me.

9. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    One person suggested Firefox. I said I tried it in Firefox but that it also worked in IE and that I concluded it was a spyware problem or possibly one with MSN (IE's default search engine) . I see no need for the outburst above

10. Redster

Redster Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 14, 2004
    You may also want to check your add/remove programs list and see whats in there. Spyware hunters do a good job at spyware but sometimes the program causing problem is not spyware but some junk thing that got in through a pop up. I have seen this several times at work,, check for junk programs and remove them,, also make sure their folders are deleted. You will also want to empty temp files and temporary internet files folders for "default user" and your own profile folder. Check under the "local settings" folder in each profile. I find a lot of spyware will throw a program in there that starts automatically. Clean up the junk programs first,, then run spyware checkers. I am also trying one called SpyHunter,, its supposed to find the "Browser Helper Objects", these are nasty little things that latch onto IE . I have also see a program out there called IE Protector,, the free version lets you run it 10 times, I havent used it so unsure how well it works.

11. Redster

Redster Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Here is another item that I have used at work,, it allows you to reinstall IE 6.0, of course afterwards you will have to get updates.

go to Start / Run and paste this in.

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

12. Selenna

Selenna Fair Lady of the forums DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 18, 2004
    I use Startup Control Panel to see what's starting that may not be obvious. For things you don't recognize you can try this database which gives info on a lot of startup files

Good luck!

13. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    Using IE on a daily basis is simply asking to be infected by spyware, virii, trojans, etc. If you want to use IE, you should scan your system thoroughly on a daily basis.

14. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Actually, it's easy to avoid being infected - just use the security settings provided, and don't do stupid things like install "free" toys. Duh.

15. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Okay folks, I just want to preface this that as I type I am not screaming, ranting or raving. I am just curious.

Okay, let's say the cause is spyware (and it probably is). The spyware is removed, but the MISE search bar still doesn't work. What is the manual fix short of a reinstall?

When something is typed in the address bar in MSIE, and it isn't a web address, it automatically goes to the MSN search engine and provides search results using the words typed into the address bar. Where is that setting?

I also know that this setting allows you to change the search engine to whatever you like. I just don't know where it is.

Can anyone answer that question?

See ya
    Tony

16. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Try a regedit (standard non-liable caveats apply)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Search Bar
    My value is: http://www.google.com/ie

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Search Page
    My value is: http://www.google.com

17. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Thanks Simon.

18. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    Good luck Mr. King. I am not sure you wanted to switch to a Google search but perhaps you do. But I am skeptical that changing search engines will fix the problem if you don't remove the cause and equally skeptical that it will be necessary if you do.

Have you checked running processes to see what is active?

19. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I changed all the search page and search bar keys in the registry (I think). Still doesn't work.

Geronimo, I checked my processes and didn't see anything obvious other than a SAHome. Of course I didn't know what half of them were!

I even uninstalled IE from Add/Remove Programs (if that actually does it). Redster, I couldn't get your cut and paste idea for removing IE to work. I get "Error loading setupwbv.dll--The specified module could not be found."

Thanks for the help, guys and gal(s). Since I'm not going to go to Firefox, maybe I should spring for one of these non-free Spyware removal programs.

20. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    I would try the 3 free ones first. They just might work.