1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't seem to use second sat tuner on VIP722

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by david_jr, Jan 13, 2009.

1. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    I tried searching for this, but came up empty. We haven't been able to use second sat tuner for the last couple of days. When we record a show the receiver forces us to watch that show or an OTA, but not a second sat show. If we try to go away from the show that's recording the "do you want to cancel recording" comes up. Are we doing something wrong? This seemed to work ok just a couple of weeks ago. We have only had the 722 for a month and I had already recorded 2 sat and 1 OTA at the same time with no problems, but now it won't. Any suggestions?

2. RickDee

RickDee Legend

May 23, 2006
    Check to see if your DVR somehow got switched from Single Mode to Dual Mode.

3. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    What happens if you press the Swap button? Or PiP? in Single mode you should see what is on the other tuner.

4. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    I will try that and get back.

5. rbyers

rbyers Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    This happened to me a few months ago with a 622. I ran a switch check and found that all was not well. After some experimenting, I discovered that there was a problem with either the roof top cabling, or with the antenna equipment. Dish came out and swapped out some of my roof top hardware and all is well again.

6. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    Interesting. It says it is in dual mode. When I press swap it does nothing and when I press PIP it does nothing.

7. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    Do you intend to run in Dual mode or Single mode? In Dual mode you can not use Pip or Swap so that is normal. In Dual mode it is also normal that you can't use the other Sat tuner because it is reserved for use by TV2. So, if you want single mode and use of both Sat tuners from TV1 switch to Single mode by pressing the button on the front panel.

If you want to run in Dual mode, maybe you need to check your setting for Record Plus. Set it On and to TV2 to default recordings to the second tuner which will leave the first tuner available for use by TV1 when only one recording is being done.

8. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    Thanks Chuck. I think I do want dual because I have TV2 hooked up. So if I understand correctly if TV2 is on then can't access 2nd sat tuneron TV1? Makes sense. Everything seems to be working right now. It might have been a problem only when TV2 was on now that I think about it. The thing that threw me was that TV1 & TV2 were on the same channel, but I guess they were on two seperate same channels. Does that sound right? Thanks for all the help.

9. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Both tuners are accessible on TV2 while in Single User Mode. The caveat is both TV outputs show the same program. So, you see the same thing on each TV. But, while in Dual User Mode, you can access TV1 output and TV2 output on TV2 by selecting a different channel. It depends on how you have Modulator Setup configured (Menu - 6 - 1 - 5). Example: I can access each tuner while in Dual User Mode on TV2 by selecting either channel 75 or 77. I can only control TV2 but I can watch either.

10. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    In Dual mode having TV2 on or off makes no difference. One tuner is still reserved for TV2 (or a recording) and therefore you can only use one Sat tuner and the OTA tuner from TV1. So, what you first described as a problem is normal operation. Perhaps the confusion came in because normally when a recording is being made, it defaults to the second tuner (depends on your Record Plus setting) but in the case where you had problems, the recording was being done using the TV1 tuner instead of the TV2 tuner. This could occur if two recordings were scheduled at the same time or you manually start a recording. In this situation all you can do from TV1 is watch the OTA tuner, watch the show being recorded, or watch a previous recording. If you attempt to change the TV1 channel you will get the warning message about stopping the recording. That's the way it works in Dual mode.

If you never watch different programs on TV1 and TV2 at the same time, run in Single mode and you can still use TV2 to watch programs or recordings. You only need Dual mode to watch different things on the two TVs at one time. In Single mode you can use all the tuners on either TV but both TVs will display the same program.

11. swissy

swissy AllStar

Oct 26, 2007
    BTW - You can have all recordings (except OTA) default to tv2. Just change to record plus. (I think that is what it is called?)

12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Do a system info and see what it says. You might also try a full-on check switch from the info screen if there are problems.

13. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    This turns out to be quite complicated. Thanks for all the explanations and tips.

14. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Not really. It can be a little overwhelming at first but if there's something you don't understand, please give us a chance to clear it up for you.

15. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    I think I do understand it now. Thank you. But it does seem a bit more complicated than the old DVR. Please don't take that as a complaint. We LOVE this DVR!! The owner's manual is not a lot of help though. I find it poorly written even referring to the wrong pages at times. But I think I've got it now. I do so appreciate everyone's help. I think it was working OK. I just wasn't getting that TV2 takes one of the tuners. Light dawns on Marble Head... as they say in these parts.:)