1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Can't use compensatory PPV certificates

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by dmspen, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Nov 2, 2013 #1 of 22
    dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I received two (so far) PPV certificates to compensate me for loss of Blockbuster.
    Here's an excerpt from the emails:

Subject: Your free DISH Pay-Per-View movie certificates
    To view our wide selection of new release Pay-Per-View movies, please visit mydish.com/myppv. For Video on Demand movies, visit mydish.com/ordervod.
    Please note that Pay-Per-View certificates are only valid for Pay-Per-View (channels 502-559) and Video on Demand (channels 1 and 501) movies up to $6.99. They cannot be used for movies rented from DISH Anywhere or Blockbuster @Home.

I went to the VOD website listed in the email and tried to order a VOD movie. It says to 'info' the movie on your receiver and get the Order ID. However, the Hopper VOD movies don't have Order IDs.
    I called DISH and after about 30 minutes, the only solution they had was to put a notation on my account that the movie should be comp'ed. However, I have to call back to make sure this happens. Their first response was the certificate was valid for PPV movies only. I pointed out what the email says. Back and forth to supervisors etc. Sheesh!
    Why would DISH send certificates that can't be used? This seems unusually cruel and not very customer friendly. I'm rather agitated about this.

2. Nov 3, 2013 #2 of 22
    tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    It's a known problem on the Hopper only. On VIP receivers you can order VOD with the certificates. My understanding is you can call the CSR can manually give a VOD movie.

3. Nov 3, 2013 #3 of 22
    jlgreer24

jlgreer24 New Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Tulsa
    The email was a misprint. PPV certs can ONLY be redeemed for ppv's, not VOD's. You can redeem them through the automated system by choosing option 2. the System will recognize that you have certificates and will ask you for the channel number you want to order. Then, you can put in the certificate number. You can also redeem ppv certificates online by logging into mydish.com and going to my ppv. when you choose a ppv it will prompt you to enter the certificate number.

4. Nov 3, 2013 #4 of 22
    tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    No, it is NOT a misprint. As I posted, on a VIP receiver you can use it for VOD.

5. Nov 4, 2013 #5 of 22
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The problem right now, as posted already, is that the Hopper is not giving you the movie id code that you need to use to redeem that coupon... you should be able to get a CSR who can look it up and do it for you over the phone, though... so try again and explain the situation that you know you are supposed to be able to order the movie but the Hopper has a known problem right now in that it doesn't show you the code like their other ViP receivers do.

Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

6. Nov 4, 2013 #6 of 22
    dmspen

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    The CSR was not able to look up the order code on her system. She got her supe to try and they finally determined they couldn't see it.

My issue here is they should send me a certificate that can be used. The email information was plainly wrong.

7. Nov 4, 2013 #7 of 22
    Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The problem isn't the certificate... the problem is that the Hopper doesn't show you the order ID for the movies... the CSR should be able to do it. Others have been able to do so.

8. Nov 4, 2013 #8 of 22
    some guy

some guy Godfather

Oct 26, 2012
    The Hopper doesn't display the Event ID and CSRs don't have that info either. Those coupons can't be used for VOD content on a Hopper until the update is released that includes the Event ID.

9. Nov 5, 2013 #9 of 22
    Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
    [SIZE=medium]dmspen,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]When you went online, did you pick the VOD from either channel 1 or 501? On the Hopper, when you select the movie you want to watch you would have seen the Order ID number on the bottom right. If you have any further questions about this, please PM me with the phone number on the account.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]Thanks [/SIZE]

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Coming soon ... the order number is not shown in the current firmware.

11. dmspen

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Sorry Mike.H, this is NOT true. On the Hopper, the Order ID does not appear on the info screen on channel 1 or 501.

12. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
    [SIZE=medium]James Long,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]I have submitted a request to have the Order ID number to appear on the VOD channels 1 and 501.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]Thanks[/SIZE]

13. DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    I would like to piggyback on this thread since the main question seems to be answered.
    I am ordering my first movie from channel 501 with a certificate. I did that online yesterday by logging into MyDish account since the certificate is expiring in a few days.
    I want to watch the movie tonight.
    Can someone tell me what the actual procedure is.
    When I go to the channel with that movie, it still shows the movie as $6.99. Since I did not want to watch it last night, I didn't go any farther but figured I would get some help here today so I can watch it tonight.

Thanks,

14. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I don't think you can do what you tried to do... that being, purchase a 501 PPV movie yesterday and then watch it today. I'm pretty sure they are on a 24-hour cycle where if you order today, you can watch it anytime today... but can't watch it tomorrow.

15. DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    Turns out you are right. I just did a chat session and it is only 24 hrs. The gal was kind enough to issue me another certificate since I messed up on this first rental try.

16. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    That's nice. I was kind of hoping that they might do that, but was afraid to bring it up and set you up for disappointment if they didn't... but under the circumstances where you really didn't watch the movie or even try to, it seems like the fair thing for them to give you another shot at it.

17. ChgoBrad

ChgoBrad Cool Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Were the compensatory gift certificates sent to everyone who has the package? Never received any, and I never even got the email saying that the BBAH rent-by-mail was ending. Not that I knew it wasnt happening, I come here all the time. :)

And yes, my profile is set up to send me email notifications.

18. DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    Not sure who specifically they were sent to but it was because of the Blockbuster disc by mail ending. They sent a total of 3 certificates over a period of a couple months. Did you check to see if you have any certificates on your mydish page?

19. ChgoBrad

ChgoBrad Cool Member

Aug 7, 2006
    No certificates there, and I did have the BB disc by mail.

I dont want to be a beggar, but if I should have gotten them for the program ending, I certainly would take them. :righton: Any DIRT members still monitoring this thread?

20. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I wonder how long Netflix will continue sending out discs. I guess in time, everything will be streaming.