1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caprica

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Kentstater, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Kentstater

Kentstater Godfather

Jun 18, 2004
    SE Michigan
    In case your'e interested.

Tuesday, Oct. 5 at 10/9c, Syfy

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I refuse to watch this show based on the fact that the storyline goes against the established storyline of BSG. Why would Ron Moore do that?? He already screwed up BSG with that stupid ending and now he's completely negating the story.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    How does it go against the storyline of BSG?

4. RASCAL01

RASCAL01 Godfather

Aug 1, 2006
    Caprica is not going against the story line....the show is doing the back story and showing how the Cylons came to be.

5. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Looks like they are running season 1 that day as well except for the pilot on the 2nd.

6. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Because they already have "skin jobs" yet the first series Cylon is just being built. In the BSG world the Cylons made the skin jobs.

7. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    A big +1, makes no sense if this is the prequel.
    stopped watching the show 3 episodes in.

8. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I haven't seen any "skinjobs" on Caprica. In fact, thus far there has only been the one cylon prototype built... and that is most definitely not human-looking.

Also... per the screwy BSG continuity... there were 5 "skinjobs" from the previous incarnation of human/cylons that already existed when these cylons were being invented by the current human population.

9. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Why did you think that? I can't think of one reason anyone would think that?

They have one prototype Cylon, not a skin job, containing the holoband world avatar, a computer mental construct, of the late Zoe Graystone. Even that was considered a failure as it couldn't be replicated and the humans thought even it glitched.

The show itself is based on the "Galactica" explanation that everything repeats, but events are not exactly replicated each time. This "Caprica" period is one of those repeats or the original. We don't know and it doesn't matter.

I don't know where you got the idea they already have skin jobs.:confused:

10. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    One word...

Zoe

11. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Zoe is dead. The holoband world avatar Zoe is inside a prototype of the toasters. So far, the humans have been unable to even replicate that.

Speculating for a moment, holoband world avatar toaster Zoe might be the one to create skin jobs later.

But right now in the series it cannot even assure its own survival, much less recreate on "death" like "Galactica" skin jobs. From our technological advance viewpoint, toaster Zoe is a quantum leap from bathtub girl. And so far, the other prototype toasters are very limited and unreliable.

12. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    But, as you call her, "Toaster Zoe" is already a "Skin Job" therefore "Skin Jobs" came first... That's not how it was in BSG.

13. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I don't know if you're just not watching the show or what... but the only way Zoe appears human is in virtual world... and lots of other people in Caprica have virtual avatars there as well.

In the real world, there is just a robot-looking cylon.

There are no "skinjobs".

14. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    That's the point to emphasize. Lot's of other people have virtual avatars. As far as we know, there are no other avatars associated with robots.

15. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    I already said I refuse to watch it based on how he's screwing BSG. He wrapped BSG, and gave us that STUPID, ending because all he ever wanted to do was Caprica and Sci-Fi convinced him to do BSG first before they'd let him do Caprica. Then when they said he could do Caprica he lost all interest and dropped BSG like a hot potato.

If she's not a "skin job" why is she referred to as "The first Cylon"? The "First Cylon" sure looks like a human, aka "Skin Job", to me.

16. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Again, the "first cylon" only appears human in the VIRTUAL world. In the REAL world, she's a metal robot.

Just as you might appear to be a big Viking Warrior when playing World of Warcraft online, but are NOT in fact a big Viking Warrior in real life, Zoe is only visualized in human form when "online" in the virtual reality environment that Caprican's (and mostly young ones) use as entertainment. Kind of a super-advanced version of the Internet.

The point is that Zoe only sees herself in the VR world, so when you're seeing her perspective, she looks human. When you're seeing everyone else's perspective, she's a metal robot on a rack. If you don't understand that, then you're not going to understand much in the series.

17. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Yeah. I dislike the series (despite certain cast members being brothers-of-friends-of-friends) but even I picked up in the few chunks of episodes I watched that Zoe is a backup brain in a standard Toaster Cylon.

18. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    That is singularly the BEST explanation and easiest to understand thus far, and I'm sad that I didn't think of it!

FYI, I'm not actually two separate cases of Throwback Mountain Dew and Pepsi though I appear as such on the forum :)

There are lots of things to dislike about Caprica, and even I am not 100% sold on it even though I like it... but it should be criticized for what it actually is and not from an apparent complete misconception based apparently only on him having watched a preview or something and not actually an episode.

19. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I don't watch Caprica, but I'm going to state what wrong with it!

Now everyone here is trying to correct him.

My Q is why? He doesn't watch it.

20. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Only because we who like it and don't want it canceled have to counter the disinformation campaign.;)