1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Captions messed up on new HR-21

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by peter17319, Jan 8, 2011.

1. peter17319

peter17319 AllStar

Dec 11, 2007
    I just got a replacement HR-21, and the captions are all messed up. There's two issues:

1. They're not being being displayed in the "classic" style, with white text in a black bar. No matter how I tweak the settings for "Font" and "Panel", it never changes.
    2. Whenever the captions cover two lines at once, it gets all smushed together.

But here's the weirdest part -- on rare occasions, the captions will change on-the-fly and look totally normal, then quickly go back to being messed up.

The link below is a segment from the latest episode "V" I recorded on my phone. Not only can you see the captions being garbled, but at the 0:45 mark you can witness the captions changing on their own. Then by the end of the clip, it changes back again.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckt8CeqFkkg

In 3 years of having my original HR-21, I never once had an issue with captions. :confused:

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    The first thing to do is do a restart. Then check the Captioning options in the Display menu under Setup.

3. phox_mulder

phox_mulder Legend

Nov 1, 2007
    You didn't by chance hook up an external drive around the time this started, did you?

Had that problem with my HR20.

Power plug pull reboot fixed it.

Menu Reset, then when all lights go out, pull the plug.

phox

4. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I saw this for a couple weeks on my HR20-100. I was using an external 1 TB drive for a year or two, and it filled up. Captions were fine. I replaced the internal drive with a 2 TB and retired the external drive, and then captions were "smushed", as the OP so aptly describes it, and stayed that way for a couple weeks. Since then, they have been perfect. I do not know if I did a reset in that period, but I may have.

Of course the first thing I asked myself is "how could replacing a drive make this happen", but nothing logical came to mind, so I chalked it up to coincidence. Maybe the OS, which has the CC decoding capability built in to it, has a bug that will intermittently appear if it does not load properly into RAM, and a restart causes it to reload. We may never know, but that theory seems as credible as anything else, I guess.