1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cascading DPP44 switch with a DP34 switch?

Discussion in 'Technical Talk (Closed Forum)' started by Mark Lamutt, May 1, 2005.

1. May 1, 2005 #1 of 20
    Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Why is it that you can cascade a DPP44 switch with a DP34 switch if the DP34 switch is the first in the chain, but you can't if the DPP44 is the first in the chain?

If I connect a DPP44 switch as the first in the chain, the receivers connected to the DP34 switch don't see connection #2.

2. May 1, 2005 #2 of 20
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
  3. May 1, 2005 #3 of 20
    n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Mark,
    It may be that the #2 cascade port on your DPP44 is bad.

(I am just guessing of course)

4. May 1, 2005 #4 of 20
    larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    Did you try using the other 3 ports from the DP+44 into the DP34? I've never heard of anyone with a similar problem, but these cascades aren't very common.

5. May 2, 2005 #5 of 20
    Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Nah, that one's a completely separate issue. :)

6. May 2, 2005 #6 of 20
    Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    I didn't try the other port on the DPP44, but the beta guys told me that it had to be installed in this order - DP34 then DPP44, so I had to go and try to install it the other way just to see what would happen. I was just wondering if any of you guys knew why, that's all.

7. May 2, 2005 #7 of 20
    larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    First I have heard of this. I have seen where others have used the DP+44 and then the DP34, but I have not tried it yet,......

8. May 2, 2005 #8 of 20
    SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    I've heard that too.

Maybe try testing the cascade port by running it directly to a receiver.

9. May 2, 2005 #9 of 20
    rabiddbstalk

rabiddbstalk Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 10, 2005
    Are we talking about cascading or trunking here??? Trunking uses the ports labeled - To addition switch. Cascading a 44 and 34, hrmmm, would that get you like 6 satellites?

10. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Alright, then - trunking the 2 switches together. :)

11. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    YOU can call it trunking (as it DOES say in the DPP44 install manual).

The rest of us will probably continue to call it cascading. :D

Thanks for making me look that up. :)

I found the references to beat the grounding nay-sayers up with. The switches ARE approved to take the place of a ground block. I always knew that, but never had the reference in hand. ;)

12. KingLoop

KingLoop Custom User Title DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 3, 2005
    While I don't portend to know everything Mark, I believe this goes to the same reason you can't us a DP34 with a DP+ Twin. I think it is something in the DP+ itself that won't allow you to go DP+ to DP, but you can do DP to DP+.

13. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    eh? The DP+Twin should work just like a DPTwin when connected to a DP34. You just can't take advantage of the dual tuner on 1 wire features.

14. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    I have references for that as well. I also have references where they said NOT to use it as a primiary ground. Costs me $1 extra to install the ground block. So, I will keep doing it that way. Plus, it allows me to have the switch inside and the ground outside in a lot of cases. Of course, the DP+Twin is eliminating a lot of that now tho.

15. rabiddbstalk

Mar 10, 2005
    I says in the DPP Twin manual that you can't use the lnb in if you connect to a 34 switch. And why would you anyways because the +Twin has a sort of 34 switch built in. Use a cheaper DP Twin and no head ache.

16. KingLoop

KingLoop Custom User Title DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 3, 2005
    I was just meaning the DP+ part of it is screwed up with a DP34... As I said there is alot I don't know that I'm sure you know Larry, The best route of a customer to go when they need DP+ on more than 2 dual receivers is a DP+44 with DP LNBFs. It would be preferrable to go that route if you want 4 orbital as well. I know there are alot of ways to set up alot of differant configurations. But DP+ into DP doesn't seem to work right and I was just giving my thoughts on the similarities of the DP+ Twin into a DP34 as a DP+44 into a DP34.

17. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    Evidently, E* is planning to discontinue the DP Twin in favor of the DP+Twin due to it's versatility. Also, you cannot use a DP+Twin for an 811/522/311 install. you have to use either a DPQuad or a DPTwin/DP34. So, they should definately have the ability to do what we need it to do.

18. rabiddbstalk

Mar 10, 2005
    Could you elaborate on that? I've used the +Twin on those receivers many times. If you use the +Twin on a 34 switch you can't use the +Twin's LNB IN port. And I don't see why you'd use a 34 switch with a +Twin.

19. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    It doesn't make sense for E* to make 2 versions of a Twin. They could discontinue BOTH the DP Twin and the DP Quad in favor of the DP+Twin. Yes, you cannot use the input on the DP+Twin when using it with a DP34 or a DP+44, but they are only charging us $2 more for a DP+Twin now, and they could further reduce costs by only having to make 1 of the 3 switches.

20. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Right. The DPP-Twin CAN drive a DP34 just fine. The LNB In and DPPlus (band translation & Legacy support) features are disabled when used this way, but as Larry says, it doesn't matter cost-wise.

As for Larry's original post:
    What he meant was that a DPP-Twin can not drive a 3-box setup by itself.