1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mismanagement

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by hookemfins, Sep 17, 2010.

1. hookemfins

hookemfins Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Miami
    My problem has been elevated to the case management department because my HR 24 and H24 keep showing reduced network performance. We had worked out a Sunday service call but somehow someway it gets screwed up and scheduled for tomorrow when I can't be here. If an alleged higher department can't get it straight what hope is there for DTV?

I remember a few months ago there was someone in Colorado (I think) who escalated these problems with techs and could arrange more convenient times for a service call. Anyone remember her name??

Thanks

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Ellen Filipaik <ellen.filipiak@directv> is the VP for Customer Service at DirecTV. Give the Case Management Group a chance first to try to correct the issue. While they apparently misscheduled your appointment, many people have had success with them. If they can't get the issue fixed for you, send an e-mail to Ms. Filipiak's office.

- Merg

3. hookemfins

hookemfins Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Miami
    Thanks.

I do have a call in for my case manager rep. It's just frustrating because I had 2 CM confirm a Sunday call only find the whole thing screwed up.

4. futurerebeldr

futurerebeldr AllStar

Jun 8, 2010
    Sounds like my troubles with case management currently. Due to some problems with MRV acting sluggish in a newly constructed home, they agreed to replace my 2 HR21 units, and ASSURED me, that they would be newer models (HR23 or HR24). When the two replacement units arrived Friday, they were NOT newer units. Rather, they were 2 HR21's just like I currently have. So after speaking to 1 CM I was told that they could not upgrade the units, but only replace "like for like". I called back in after opening the shipping boxes to confirm they were HR21's, and called back in. The second call, the CM said he was emailing logistics and they would hand pick 2 new units (HR24's) for me from the warehouse and ship them. Fingers crossed they get it right this time and I get 2 HR24's in the next couple days.

Frustrating, when you talk to the highest level of customer support and they still screw up things.

5. goblazers_6

goblazers_6 AllStar

Apr 20, 2009

That's the new policy according to our latest "Video of the Month".

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Except, DirecTV considers any HR2x receiver to be "like for like".

- Merg

7. goblazers_6

goblazers_6 AllStar

Apr 20, 2009
    Obviously you haven't seen it. With the equipment shortages we've been having they have made it very clear they are two seperate types of receivers (the 24 series vs previous models). They've gone so far as to call for specific models on certain work orders.

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    That was my bad... I left my sarcastic smilie off that last message... :)

- Merg

9. futurerebeldr

futurerebeldr AllStar

Jun 8, 2010
    Well, after all the phone conversations, mis-shipped equipment, and 4 service calls I'm a happy customer. A service tech came out and did an excellent job checking everything in the system and getting it fixed right. He wound up finding some wiring problems and fixed those for me. He also swapped out my HR21 units for HR24-200's (which made me very happy). And through all of this I did have problems with my old HR21's b/c after testing the cable and powering the unit back up, a hard drive failure message appeared. I have to say, if you ever have an unmarked van show up for your install (it's probably a contractor) immediately tell them you want to reschedule and make sure you get a certified D* installer. All of the wiring problems would have never happened.

So needless to say certain D* techs can be very helpful. Thanks to those of you like Clarence out there.

10. cerrdor

cerrdor Cool Member

Sep 15, 2010

So A) the CMA should not have replaced 2 STB as per policy if two receivers go bad you roll a tech, and B) next time request a tech as the only way to get an HR24/H24 is to order from logistics due to everyone thinking the 24 model is the end all be all to receivers (until the newer ones come out, or the 24 takes a crap like all receivers eventually do) D* sends the majority of the 24 models out to the local offices due to everyone wanting it so the techs come with 24 on the truck to begin with. done and done.

11. futurerebeldr

futurerebeldr AllStar

Jun 8, 2010
    Well, my reasoning for not wanting a tech to come out is simple. I had already had 3 service calls in the past 2 weeks. A contractor for the original install, a supervisor to fix his mistakes, and another certified tech to fix the 'supervisors' screw ups. My employer was beginning to get frustrated with me having to take time off work so frequently for D* to fix problems.

In the future my first question to the tech is going to be if they are a contractor or not. If so, I'll cancel the visit and reschedule for an official tech.

12. cerrdor

cerrdor Cool Member

Sep 15, 2010
    I can definitely sympathize with that, and I apologize I know it is difficult at times damn near impossible at other times but in CM if you need a service call the first one to come out is an DTV owned and operated installer if he messes it up the second s/c comes out a supervisor / QA tech and a normal tech ( so two guys this time) and keeps gettimg more people involved in the process until it gets fixed..even to the point of getting engineers involved in the process. Point is it WILL get fixed it just takes time sometimes and time is money I can understand that so make sure the s/c is scheduled for a day you are off and if you are not off dont insisit you be there if someone else is there that is fine he can fix it without you, and call one hour before the start time and ask where is my tech, DTV will then have the tech call you (sometimes he does LOL) but at least you can arrange the time and such if he at least gives you a call if he doesn't report that since he gets a fine if there are three unanswered request.

13. hookemfins

hookemfins Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Miami
    Thanks again Merg,

My case manager never returned any calls so when I got a call from the office of President, I reported him as well.

My problem was getting a "reduced network performance" on both H24 and HR 24. Sometimes it would point to specific deca unit or media renderer. Just about everything was replaced (Ethernet cable, all deca's, splitter and even the h24) The HR 24 stopped showing error but the H24 still does. Every few days the HR 20's lose connection with one receiver.

The last solution is the tech is coming back this Saturday to replace both HR 20's with HR 24's. The good is getting HR24's, the bad is losing all recordings but totally worth it in the end.

I thought I had seen somewhere that you can transfer recordings to either a thumb drive or an external hard drive then reload on another DVR, is this possible?

14. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Unfortunately, the best you can do with saving your recordings is burning them to DVD using a DVD recorder or using a PC Video Capture card.

As for testing, give this a try. Swap one of the HR20's with the HR24. See if the problem switches from the HR20 to the HR24. That will tell you if the issue is the receiver or something else. If it is the receiver, take a look at how you have the HR20's set up for the network. Many people have found that using Static DHCP Addressing or Static IP Addressing (outside the DHCP range) has resolved connection issues.

- Merg

15. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    It's unlikely that swapping the boxes will solve the issue. Attention to be focused on the cabling, connectors and splitters.

16. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I agree, but just something to say it has been done to eliminate the possibility of it being the box.

- Merg

17. hookemfins

hookemfins Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Miami
    OK, I am ready to swap the two receivers but what is the proper way to hook up HR 20-100. It right now has a power inserter, splitter and BSF.

We have 2 coaxes going into the Power inserter. One going from the PI to the splitter. Coming out of the splitter goes to the BSF and into Sat 2 the other to the Deca and into Sat 1.

18. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    You can remove the coax that connects to the splitter above, leaving splitter, DECA, & BSF connected to the HR20-100.

That said, you've described a setup where the PI-signal side is used to supply satellite signal/DECA communications to a MRV device. It's no longer a recommended setup. See RobertE's post (#3 in this thread:http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=184115)

You can borrow the two-way green splitter from the HR20-100 setup and reconfigure PI coax per RobertE's photo and test the network performance using the HR24. You'll need a terminator for the PI-signal side.

19. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I'd actually redo your setup as armchair recommended prior to swapping the receivers. That could very well have been the issue.

- Merg

20. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    I think I misread what the OP was trying to do. If the OP has an extra splitter, he should try that before swapping the DVRs.

I made my suggestion thinking the OP was ready to replace the HR20-100 with a HR24 in-hand!

It's good that a tech visit is already scheduled! An additional coax needs to ran to PI and installed with a BSF and terminate the signal side coax to prevent any further mishaps or mischief in the DECA cloud. OK, maybe the BSF is optional or redundant for green-labeled splitters but IMO, over-kill is recommended. The OP should verify all needed terminators are in place before the tech gets a sign-off. Any other advice for the OP?