1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Castle", new series on ABC

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Mar 13, 2009.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Since it didn't hold the Dancing With the Stars audience against CSI:Miami, I thought I would suggest recording or watching the rerun of Monday's series premier of "Castle" Saturday (tomorrow night) at 10 pm.

There was some advance critical review of the show likening it to Murder She Wrote. But except for the basic outline - a crime mystery writer gets involved in police investigations - it's different and as fresh as another crime procedural can be.

I think this show started with pretty good pilot. The writing was tight, the actors are good, and the other factors that make up a show like this are professional and strong.

2. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I liked it as well. I love Nathan Fillion and thought his comedic timing was really good. It came across as light-hearted, in fact, I think it has many of the same elements as The Mentalist.

I still cannot figure out why CSI: Miami continues to do well at all. But PLEASE, lets not degenerate into a thread on CSI: Miami!!!

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Previews looked brutal. Since I already have too many shows to watch each week, I'm giving this one a pass.

4. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO

Too bad ... it's a good show.

5. FYRPLG

FYRPLG Legend

Nov 11, 2006
    Kind of liked it. On the similar theme as Mentilist. Hope it keeps it up.

6. Wire Paladin

Wire Paladin Legend

Sep 19, 2006
    The show was better that I thought it would be. It had more humor than the Mentalist. At times it reminded me of either Moonlighting or Remington Steele.:)

7. IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    I enjoyed the first episode enough that it earned a season pass.

8. DarkSkies

DarkSkies Legend

Nov 30, 2007
    You named two shows I loved and one I like a lot right now, so you've convinced me to give Castle a try. :up:

9. peaches

peaches AllStar

Jan 8, 2009
    I liked it.

10. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    Fillion is far better suited to roles such as this and Mal Reynolds on Firefly than he is for such as Adam Mayfair on Desperate Housewives. We were laughing a lot in Castle. The only problem is that whenever we have really, really enjoyed a pilot and the subsequent series, not enough folks watch it to keep it on.:( We're keeping our fingers crossed on this one.

11. Wire Paladin

Wire Paladin Legend

Sep 19, 2006
    I agree. It appears that the only new hour-long shows that succeed in recent years have been the ones on the cable channels. TNT,USA and Sci-FI seem to have a lock on the better shows (Closer, Burn Notice, Leverage, BSG) than the networks.

However the networks do seem to do better with the 1/2 hr comedy shows like Big Bang.:)

12. Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    I set to record it, it appears to be in an open slot on my Monday's so we'll see how good it is. I am getting really stacked up on hour long HD shows though.

13. dbconsultant

dbconsultant Hall Of Fame

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    We liked it - good dialogue and character chemistry.

14. DarkSkies

DarkSkies Legend

Nov 30, 2007
    I liked it as well, and I didn't expect to. It's the chemistry between Nathan Fillion and ?? Stanak ??, the female detective. I also love Susan Sullivan as Nathan Fillion's mother. Nice! :)

15. Dario33

Dario33 Godfather

Dec 15, 2008
    The second episode was not as strong as the pilot (imo), but I'll continue to tune in.

16. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    Agreed! Of course, I love Susan in ANYTHING she does...she's a complete hoot!

17. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Finally got a chance to watch this weeks episode. Still think it's a tightly written solid show. I hope some disillusioned CSI:Miami viewers will switch. I would be great to see it first in the time slot.

18. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Nathan Fillion can make a series for me. It's been working so far in Castle. He comes off as a believable father to me, but more importantly to my wife he's a great bit of eye candy and he's ridiculously funny, smarmy and has awesome timing.

Actually been a fan of his since...*drumroll*

Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place.

Yeah, really.

19. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007

really, truly? ;)

20. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Hey, when the shoe you like gets so few viewers it gets a makeover and becomes "Two Guys and a Girl" and removes the pizza place entirely? :p Really truly ;)