1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

CBS-7 [KOSA] goes off the air on DirecTV after contract expires

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Athlon646464, Aug 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 5, 2013 #1 of 13
    Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    CBS-7 [KOSA] goes off the air on DirecTV after contract expires

CBS-7 [KOSA] has been taken off the air for local DirecTV customers after the satellite television provider and CBS-7 parent company ICA Broadcasting failed to reach an agreement, affecting about 20,000 customers.

ICA, which has to renew its contract with cable and satellite providers every three years, made agreements with every local provider except for DirecTV this year, said Barry Marks, General Manager of CBS-7. The contract's expiration caused CBS-7 to go off the air at midnight on Wednesday.

The conflict stems from DirecTV's refusal of ICA's asking price for carrying CBS-7 on local DirecTV customers' feeds. Marks told the Reporter-Telegram on Friday that he based his price in relation to how much the other cable and satellite providers paid for CBS-7.

Full Story Here

[​IMG]

2. Aug 5, 2013 #2 of 13
    lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    I would have to think it's cheaper for D* to buy antennas for its customers than to go through this crap all the time.

3. Aug 5, 2013 #3 of 13
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Not just buying one. Its installing it too. Also not all areas can use one. Large antennas are about $140 plus probably $30 shipping and then proper install would be pretty price intensive as well. This would probably pay for itself over time but would be a huge hit to them now.

4. Aug 5, 2013 #4 of 13
    lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    I guess GE, Soros and Buffet are not getting enough money from CBS. As the old saying goes "Follow the Money". CBS must be really putting the squeeze on their affiliates.

5. Aug 5, 2013 #5 of 13
    PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    In the end they squeeze us.

6. Aug 6, 2013 #6 of 13
    ThaPhenom

ThaPhenom Mentor

Aug 21, 2006
    Looks like they reached a deal.

7. Aug 6, 2013 #7 of 13
    Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Link:

CBS7 Is Back on DirecTV 8/5/13

CBS7 News
    8/5/13

CBS7 is very happy to announce that we are once again available on DirecTV.

Thank you so very much to those of you who remained patient through this situation and we deeply apologize for the inconveniences it caused.

[​IMG]

8. Aug 6, 2013 #8 of 13
    Santi360HD

Santi360HD Icon

Oct 6, 2008
    New York City
    Of course its back...do you think D* would want a quarrel while another provider is having a very messy & public one.

9. Aug 8, 2013 #9 of 13
    n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    This repeated network vs. provider circus that seems to happen every few months has gotten way out of hand. I am pro-free market and not for big gov't to get involved every time, but every other month it's another cable TV/sat provider vs. a network in an argument over fees and in the end, it most often, continues to the point of a channel(s)/network(s) being dropped for a few days, weeks, or even many long months (ie, Versus vs. D*). Something needs to be done because it is always the end viewer (the consumer) who suffers. The consumer never truly knows who to complain to or who really is the one causing the issue. I don't know what can be done, but this crap has to stop. Maybe forced arbitration if the two sides can't agree within 1 week of the end of the carriage agreement?

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Today:

In its 8th day of an ongoing blackout by Raycom Media, and amidst the backdrop of a retransmission blackout by CBS on TWC for the past week, DISH is calling for Congress to update the outdated local TV carriage rules and protect consumers. Co has introduced a plan to Congress, backed by Time Warner Cable and other video distributors that would protect consumers and reduce the number of blackouts.

1 person likes this.
  11. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I still think local channels should PAY DirecTV to carry their channel.
    Afterall, if local advertisers want to be seen, the channel needs to be carried by as many providers as possible.

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    +1 !!!!!!

13. Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z Godfather

Jul 30, 2007
    Every time a content distributor publicly hangs tough against a content provider that is better for the subscribers in the long run and sends a message to other content providers regarding the risk that they run (blackout, lost ad revenue, etc). It's inconvenient for a while, but with the advent of alternative sources (Netflix, Amazon Prime, PlayOn, etc.), and delivery mechanisms such as Roku, Apple TV, and OTA there are no channels that I can't live without. In fact the blackouts plus raising content distributor costs is what has motivated me to explore and exploit the alternative sources. Specific channel blackouts are an inconvenience, but not lifestyle threatening. I recognize that "your mileage may vary".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.