1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CBS Affiliates - we want more

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Oct 18, 2009.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Some people are never happy. According to this Broadcasting & Cable article:
    But the affiliates are complaining because ABC and NBC provide rich content in the last few minutes before the 11 pm news.
    From what I can tell, CBS is providing a pretty good lead in:

[​IMG]

Of course it isn't necessarily the result of actions by CBS. From another article on the same B&C page:

2. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I thought NBC went off the air at 10PM.

3. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    9 PM Central/Mountain. ;)

4. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    As predicted.

Leno is killing local news, which is a major profit center for affiliates.

Now there are still places where all of the stations are not equal. Level of commitment to local news, rimshot signals, legacy of being UHF in the NTSC era, and so on. The next step in NBC's slide into being a netlet will be CBS and ABC geting affiliate swaps in those markets.

5. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    Is there any local CBS affiliate news on Sunday night? It seems that the schedulers, after all these years still don't have a handle on how long a sports event will take. I checked my CBS last night at 6:01 to see where in the ball game they were since local news is scheduled for 6pm. End of the third quarter. I checked again at 9:30 (I have a manual set for 9 - 11 hoping to get Cold Case) and it appeared as if Amazing Race was just getting started. Haven't checked yet this am to see if I managed to get CC on the one time manual timer I set for 11 - 1.

And football isn't the only thing that runs over. Almost without fail any sports event on Sunday afternoon will run long. Why do they even bother with anything other than sports? Bet if they had NASCAR in the afternoon followed by a football game and NASCAR ran late they would be in a quandary. Do we up set the NASCAR fans by cutting away or the football fans by staying with the race.

6. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Last night was a somewhat unusual situation, in that the game didn't just go into overtime, it went extremely far into overtime, so it lasted past 8:00 Eastern.

When football goes that long, CBS gives up entirely on one of their four Sunday night shows -- as you may have discovered when you checked your manual recording. The game announcers did start mentioning every few minutes, beginning around 7:55, that "Cold Case" would not be seen. I think what ended up happening was "60 Minutes" at 8:15, "Amazing Race" at 9:15, "Three Rivers" at 10:15, and local news at 11:15. (Subtract an hour from those times for Texas. Here on the West Coast, everything aired at its regularly scheduled time. I assume they had a "Cold Case" rerun at 10:00.)

Oh, they have a general idea -- this isn't much of an issue with Fox these days, because they run a postgame show and/or reruns up until 8:00. However, CBS likes the situation the way it is -- they really do get bigger ratings for their Sunday night programming when it gets pushed back due to football, despite the effect it has on DVRs. (The general CBS audience is somewhat less likely to have DVRs than the audience for the other networks.)

7. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    Thi s at least explains Jeno's headlines, jwalking, etc at the end of the show.

8. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    I never could figure that out, why not just air the "shows already in progress" if football runs over or just drop the earliest shows (60 minutes, then Amazing race) and then just show them at 2:00 a.m. when the infomercials run?

9. jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354 Icon

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta
    In most larger markets there is.

10. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    Since I no longer watch football I will never hear the announcements during a game. I did watch it in the olden times when a 1 hour game lasted maybe 2 hours including half time, team time outs and a few commercial time outs, and no overtimes. There was a winner, a loser or a draw the way the game was intended :D. But it's not just football. Every sport CBS carries has at one time or another gone over the scheduled time. Of course, football and basketball are the worst.

11. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yep, "Cold Case" was a rerun out here.

12. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I never understood why they don't just cut the game off at the scheduled time, whether it's over or not. After a few of those, the players, coaches and refs would get the hint and not waste so much time goofing around. As I recall, a football game has 4 15 minute periods, so why does it take 2 or 3 hours to get it over with? Hockey and basketball have time specific periods also, right? Baseball might be a little tougher to control time, but they could end all games at no more than 10 innings. If it's a tie, so be it.

13. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The overrun presents an interesting problem for CBS. And I think they solve the problem backwards. They should let the affiliates have all the programming. The West/Mountain can show it all, and East/Central affiliates can choose to show what they want that night and the remainder shown next Saturday instead of a rerun of "CSI-NY" and two "48-Hour" with no money or ratings credits going to CBS for Saturday.

If it ends up too costly for CBS, they'll just have to eliminate their Sunday night schedule except for football and "60 Minutes" and "The Amazing Race." They could cut "Three Rivers" and "Cold Case" to 13 episodes in the Winter.

14. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Because more people watch this than the garbage they put on after it.

15. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    Just no accounting for taste, is there? There are some of us who think the garbage comes on first. It's all a matter of taste. I used to watch football. I no longer care for it for a number of reasons. Taking 4 plus hours to play out a one hour game is part of it.

16. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    No way would I want the idiots that run our CBS affiliate to control this. They think DD2.0 is great sound.:confused:

Yesterday, our affiliate started with the Pats/Titans until it became a blowout. Then they switched to Bills/Jets which went into OT. I actually won't complain since our affiliate actually showed a game without the Bengals, Browns, Steelers or Redskins playing in it.

As for the Sunday night lineup issue, I plan ahead with my recordings and each is padded 1.5 hours. That seemed a little extreme until last night.

17. clueless

clueless Legend

Dec 6, 2004
    Any chance WSAZ defects anytime soon? I assume they still dominate the newscast ratings in the Huntington/Charleston market. As their ads used to say "more viewers than all other local newscasts combined".

18. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    IMHO, yes. WSAZ is a first class operation, by the standards of a midsized market, and it is not going to put up with Leno killing its ultra-profitable news operation with a weak lead-in. Further of the 28 main stations new WSAZ owner Gray owns, 16 are CBS, including in the adjoining Lexington market. Still further, WSAZ's largest area of dominance is the part of the market in Kentucky, and CBS reuped with the SEC for 10 years.

It would not surprise me at all.

19. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I understand AND I'm ticked.

I understand when play is stopped for nearly 20 minutes because of a player not moving on the field (saw this a couple of weeks ago - injury looked real bad).

HOWEVER - taking this week as an example... When the Patriots game was over, just after 7pm, I was expecting them to start 60 minutes - but NO - they cut to the Giants game which still had a lot of time left. So, I padded my "Amazing Race" timer some more. Then they kept playing - AND it went into overtime - until after 8pm!

This is great for the Giants fans, they get to see their game and that's what the contract with CBS calls for. But us up here in New England? If we wanted to see that for THAT long we would probably have the Sunday Ticket package!

I had a 2-hour time for Amazing Race that only got 40 minutes because 60 Minutes was pushed back OVER an hour!

20. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    As I said earlier...

...the football overruns are not a problem as far as CBS is concerned.

The affiliates may grumble a little bit when their local news gets pushed back, but they get over it when they see the ratings.