1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CBS-HD Gray Bars

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by smoky, Jan 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoky

smoky Mentor

Dec 28, 2003
    Just got a wavier for CBS(east-NY). Normal mode has gray bars ,all other HD channels do not not display this. Why? By the way E* Tech. says that's the way he is looking at it on a 921. All programs that are labled HD have gray bars(on cbs-hd)! (I have a 811) :confused:

2. greylar

greylar Legend

Oct 31, 2002
    Not all cbs programming is in HD. In fact during an HD program the channels will have bars as well, Hmm but now that I think of it mine are black when CBS is broadcasting SD.

I have a 6000 been waiting almost 3 mos for my 811

G

3. dcarpa

dcarpa Cool Member

Dec 20, 2003
    I've got the 811 and get CBS OTA also so I'll add my comments. WCBS-DT channel 2 broadcasts standard HD for the good stuff (football, CSI, etc.) and for national SD feeds that is 4:3 I don't believe that they add anything and it comes across with grey bars - if CBS is broadcasting local stuff like the news then they have the choice of what side bars to add, and they have chosen grey (If I remember right they used to use black bars but switched about 6 months ago). This is easily seen if watching WCBS out of NY from a national feed on SD 4:3 the sidebars should be black, and if they go to a locally added commerical the bars will switch to grey for awhile. Living in Ny is great since I can get OTA from E* and with the 811 also from an antenna just in case - good to have a backup for the SUPERBOWL!

D

4. smoky

smoky Mentor

Dec 28, 2003
    Mine are black on other HD channels as well. I do not want those bars for the game. Need some input guys.

5. smoky

smoky Mentor

Dec 28, 2003
    I'm just happy to have a shot at seeing the game in HD.

6. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    The game will be in HD. My local CBS here in Denver broadcasts gray bars on the sides of upconverted 4x3 SD material. The gray bars are not present in true HD material.

7. smoky

smoky Mentor

Dec 28, 2003
    Thanks, Mark I went to CBS-HD (It;s 10:15 EST "The District" was on and there are no bars No bars :grin: ;) :rolleyes: Other programs tonight were also labled HD, why the bars?

8. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    On E* CBS HD has bars on the side when the content is upconverted SD 4:3. There is no other way except to do the stretch thing ESPN HD does and that looks terrible. If I remember correctly the bars on East local are gray and the bars on West local are black. I do not see any bars when they are doing native HD.

BTW: The District is in HD.

9. smoky

smoky Mentor

Dec 28, 2003
    Thanks John, but if the program guide says (HD) That program should be in native HD or is program guide wrong to say that it is HD programming(CBS-HD program guide that had (HD) in the info for the programs)

10. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    The EPG is not always correct in that it may be upconverted SD and they still list it as (HD). The EPG data service apparently don't know sometimes.

BTW: The upconverted don't seem to have the pixelization you see on the SD channels. :)

11. Broadband Lab Rat

Broadband Lab Rat AllStar

Nov 3, 2003
    Not to worry... the bars will not be there when CBS is transmitting HD...

12. smoky

smoky Mentor

Dec 28, 2003
    Thanks John, I can sleep happy tonight, that I will have the Panthers in HD winning the Super Bowl. :hurah: :hurah: :hurah: :D :D :D BTW: When will we have all networks in HD?

13. smoky

smoky Mentor

Dec 28, 2003
    Just got the channel,the only reason I'm going to be able to see the game in HD is because of you guys,thanks..

14. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    How big did you say your antenna was? :lol:

15. smoky

smoky Mentor

Dec 28, 2003
    :lol: Just dreaming :lol: My OTA is Zero.

16. C*Tedesco

C*Tedesco Legend

Jan 31, 2004

Ditto that comment! HD Super Bowl Bound!!!

17. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    I would love it if my CBS did grey bars or black bars. Right now when they are not showing the CBS-HD feed (which they recently upgraded to!) they stretch the picture. I have a 4:3 set, if they did not stretch I could just zoom and get the full screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.