1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

CBS HD SAT Channels 80 & 81

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bullitt, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bullitt

bullitt Legend

Apr 26, 2002
    Should these channels be broadcasting a full 16 x 9 HD Image when the program guide indicates HD. I was watching PGA Golf this afternoon and Image was cropped on sides with both channels. Another odd thing was that sides on one channel were gray and other channel was black. I called DTV and they gave me no help one CSR claiming that it's up to the broadcaster and another claiming I needed waivers for HD even though I've had waivers for almost 3 years on distant locals.
    All other HD Channels display as advertised even OTA's.

Can someone shed some light?
    :confused:

2. aaronwt

aaronwt Legend

Aug 14, 2003
    Northern...
    The golf wasn't broadcast in HD. Check with CBS for the reason why.

3. jpoklop

jpoklop AllStar

Jan 20, 2004
    The color of the sidebars is set at the receiver for 4x3 material. Although mine is set for black, sometime I will get gray. When I playback the recording, it will usually change back to black. In the case of ESPN, the sidebars (ESPN-HD logo) are added to the 4x3 SD datastream and then broadcast as 16x9.

4. bullitt

bullitt Legend

Apr 26, 2002
    Thanks for the Reply's, too bad no one at D* has a clue. They could lessen the burden on their CSR's if they actually trained each one instead of having to call 8 times only to get 7 answers. :nono2:

I tried CSI Miami tonight and it was full screen in HD. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.