1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CBS HDTV available to everyone?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by gaz, Sep 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gaz

gaz Mentor

Aug 26, 2005
    I am seriously thinking about changing from D* to E*. I noticed that E* has available CBS HDTV to those who subscribe to the the High Definition channels. Does this mean that I can receive this channel even though I do not qualify for distant networks? If so, I will seriously consider changing satellite providers since all Southeastern Conference football games are broadcast by CBS. :confused:

2. TBarclay

TBarclay AllStar

Mar 24, 2002
    NO! You do need to qualify to get it!

3. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    CBSHD is not available to all. Check the DISH Network site for availability. It likely is available on D* with the same requirements.

4. KingLoop

KingLoop Custom User Title DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 3, 2005
    You need either to be in an O & O (Owned and Operated by CBS) market, or you need a waiver.

5. gaz

gaz Mentor

Aug 26, 2005
    That's what I thought. Isn't is wonderful that in the "land of the free" we are deprived of the right to receive a quality signal, even where the locals don't offer a decent ota signal, much less high definition. I wonder what people would think if we were deprived the right to buy out of town newspapers and magazines. :mad:

6. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Here we go again....

The qualifications required by CBS HD are there because THIS IS THE WAY CBS (owner of the content) WANTS IT!!!!

If CBS wanted to sell their HD channel nationwide tomorrow, they could! All they have to do is nullify their contracts with their affiliates granting them exclusivity (as in to exclude others).

See ya
    Tony

7. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004
    Are you not far enough away from B'ham to qualify for distants?

Have you tried a long range antenna? CBS here broadcast at 1000 kW. You should be able to get that from Mars. :D

If you get B'ham locals you can get Fox and NBC over that sat. in HD, though, both are O&O here.

8. gaz

gaz Mentor

Aug 26, 2005
    :mad: Might as well be on Mars as far as receiving HD signals here in Auburn, AL. are concerned. I've talked to antenna installers here in Auburn. Besides being very expensive to install and my neighborhood frowns on outside antennas, installers seem to agree that getting a decent HD signal from either Columbus, Ga or from the Montgomery area is a "hit or miss" (mostly miss) situation. Birmingham is too far away to even consider.

9. derwin0

derwin0 Icon

Jan 31, 2005
    Auburn, AL is in the Columbus, GA market (which Dish does not offer locals to yet).
    You'll have to get a waiver from WRBL (ch 3).
    The Montgomery, AL affiliate WAKA (ch 8) might claim you, as it's only 54 miles away & VHF) so you'd have to get a waiver from them too.

btw, Go Jackets (c/o '93) :D

10. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I've thought the same thing...if I wanted to subscribed to the AJC, but I had to ask for a waiver from the local Brunswick News first, they would not grant a waiver because they want me to read only the advertisements in their newspaper.

Seems like the same thing to me. It's nothing less than government-sponsored corporate protectionism, fueled by huge political contributions from the NAB to certain powerful members of congress, plain and simple, and these same greedy politicians are supposed to working for OUR best interests?

Not a chance in hell! :nono2: :mad:

11. WhiteForMe

WhiteForMe Mentor

May 29, 2005
    Funny thing, E* wants me to get a wavier from one CBS affiliate. D* says I need a wavier from Two CBS affiliates, as Iam smack in the middle with a B grade sig. So same old story for DNS CBS Denied, Denied, Denied, Denied, Denied.

12. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I guess the thing is, people think it is unfair when it affects them... but not when the other way around.

Like the towns that protest when Wal-Mart wants to build a store, because they don't want big business to drive their small businesses out of work.

Or the people who live in a neighborhood and sign a petition to keep low-income housing out of their neighborhood surroundings because they don't want "those" people around to drive down property values.

Where are the cries of "this is a free country" then?

Bottom line really is... people want what they want, when they want it, and it is always "unfair" if we don't get our way now... so we rarely think/see the other side of it.

In this case, the network wanting to protect its own interests and that of its local affiliates revenue by not doing an end-around allowing us to see the network feed instead of the local feed without permission.

13. Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson Banned User

Jun 12, 2003

Who gives a damn? Tell your neighborhood to shove it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.