1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

CBS in Central PA is being Dropped By Directv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Rickt1962, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    CBS has been using its scrolling marquee telling everone to call Directv because as of March 1st it will no longer be rebroadcasted ! I went to WHP21 CBS and posted Great ! Why do I want Directv paying you ? and then charge me ? You are OTA and want to double dip ? I hope all the companies that pay for advertising on that channel leave when they see the market share is larger on the other channels. I will just go purchase a AM21 duh !

I know people that live in the country or the mountains cant receive signal. But the rest of us offset the cost of that ! The OTA should pay them to rebroadcast that so the Vendors that pay commercial time get the biggest bang for ther buck !

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  3. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Several important points:
    1) DIRECTV is not running the crawl, that is run by the station itself. (I have the same crawls, by the way.)
    2) DIRECTV isn't "dropping" any locals. They are adding them where they can. Once added, only the local can tell DIRECTV to turn them off. DIRECTV won't so long as negotiations continue.
    3) And DIRECTV won't turn it off before the contract runs out. (Unless there is a clause where the station can tell DIRECTV to turn if off before the contract finishes.)
    4) Sinclair has been doing this to all the distributors for a few years now. Local cable companies, large cable companies, Dish Network, and now DIRECTV. Very large price increases, which of course has to be passed on to us.

So what I did was call Sinclair corp HQ at their listed number:
    Monday I'll be calling my local station as well.

As has been mentioned, this is already covered: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=212971 . Let's move our discussion there.

Peace,
    Tom

4. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    The paying public would rally behind Cable, Dish and Directv insupport not to pay for local OTA. The only ones that benefit are the ones in rural areas and I bet the companies that pay for advertising want those people to see it also. They should want it Re-broadcasted since it cost Cable,Dish and Directv bandwidth to do so. :nono:

5. Herdfan

Herdfan DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Call their local advertisers as well. The idea that the local advertisers can lose X number of eyeballs gets their attention.