1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CBS On Demand (Channel #1002)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Alan Gordon, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    No HD, and I hope they add more programming to it, but a pleasant development nonetheless...

Hopefully CW On Demand will be coming soon as well...

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I dont believe any of the network programming is HD for on-demand yet is it?

3. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    No...

NBC had some Olympics stuff in HD, but that was it.

ABC On Demand has recently/had recently an episode of "The Neighbors" with an HD tag, but it was actually SD.

4. Joe Spears

Joe Spears Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Dec 24, 2010
    Agreed. I think that is a good opinion, I understand the VOD content is controlled by the networks so looking at CBS On Demand selection on Time Warner Cable and then looking at DirecTV's there no where close to the same selection. It appears they still have quite a large amount to add to match what typical CBS On Demand offers across many MSO providers. I have looked at CBS On Demand through Comcast and there's matches TWC as well (for viewing on TV, online viewing through Cbs.com does include additional content).

Here is a link to TWC CBS ON Demand content to get an idea of what is generally offered across MSO providers: http://www.twcondemand.com/tv/primetime-on-demand/cbs

5. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    Where was this when Sandy took my power away for 8 days and I was scrambling to find the content I missed?

Great add though. I think back when I first got DirecTV and how much it's improved. It's pretty awesome when you think about it.

6. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Maybe not on DirecTV, but I stayed with my sister when we lost power during hurricane Sandy. She's got FiOS, and I'm pretty sure we watched a couple of network shows on demand in HD when I was there.

I wonder if it's a network bandwidth issue, since FiOS has bandwidth to burn?

7. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    There seems to be no rhyme or reason to what is available where. I do get some HD from fios for OTA networks but they do not have HD for TVLand on Demand while DirecTV does.

While most channels that both have align pretty well with content, it sometimes varies wildly. Fios tends to have more TCM content while DirecTV has a lot more HBO.

8. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I'm so glad you posted, Tony. I had no idea I could get TVLand in HD via On Demand. We enjoy both Hot In Cleveland and The Exes, and have been watching them in crappy HD... up until now. Thanks for the tip!

You're right. There is no rhyme or reason! :nono:

9. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia

I don't know if it comes down to contracts or infrastructure... :confused:

Early this season, FOX was pimping FOX On Demand frequently throughout their primetime programming... yet it's nowhere to be found on DirecTV... even in SD.

The CW launched a deal with Comcast for The CW On Demand that included HD content. My hope is that the launch of it (even in SD) might come to DirecTV soon... particularly now that CBS On Demand has launched... :)

10. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    A lot of the networks don't resend all of their VOD content to cable and satellite providers at once. Many of them only send the latest batch of content to their servers on a weekly basis, which would explain why only last week's episodes are available, while everyone else has about a month's worth of episodes.

11. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    So the data storage is at the providers end? Is that true for thing like hbo which directv now has all of the hbo2go stuff? Seems a referential pointer after validation would make more sense in those cases.

12. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Yes, basically they push the new VOD content in advanced to a server at the provider's end every week either via IP or a satellite based data stream, along with a schedule of when to make the content available to subscribers. What we download on our receivers comes from the provider's servers.

13. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    thanks.

that confirmation explains a lot.

14. grecorj

grecorj Legend

Jan 20, 2008
    Fantastic. Sometimes it's nice to have a "backup" if a program wasn't scheduled or failed due to weather, etc.

15. HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07 Icon

Sep 12, 2007
    I thought for sure I will use it. After finding it to be in SD only, FORGET IT! I will never use it until it's in HD. I'd rather record off live feed or go to CBS.com and watch it.

16. rta53

rta53 Legend

Apr 10, 2010
    Is this still available? I tried to find it last night but couldn't remember the channel. Tried searching but found nothing.

17. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    its still in my guide

18. rta53

rta53 Legend

Apr 10, 2010
    Ok thanks. Will check it out tonight.