1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

CBS pulls plug on Boston Pops 4th Fireworks

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Jun 22, 2013.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Ok, I guess making money is important, but I'm irked about this July 4 fireworks gala loses its national pop:

We always watched "A Capitol Fourth" on PBS and then the Boston Pops. Come on CBS, consider it a public service. Do you really make that much more with a rerun of "Elementary"????

I've already sent an irate email to KPIX, our local CBS station which is a CBS owned-and-operated.

2. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Arthur Fiedler would have been very sad....

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Boston has been bordering on a second tier show for a while. It is very hard (and stupid expensive) to go up against the DC music production and Macy's fireworks displays.

4. Jaspear

Jaspear Godfather

May 16, 2004
    At one time, this was aired on A&E, which provided the whole three hour broadcast. The producers need to go that route again, either with A&E or another cable network.

5. say-what

say-what DIRECTV A-Team

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    That's sad. I always preferred the Boston Pops 4th to the overproduced Macys/NY show

6. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Aug 6, 2010
    Sad but not surprising..... Things are getting worse and worse!!

7. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Best music, most creative fireworks by far, and most charming environment by a mile. The old realtime A&E coverage was wonderful, and wasn't there extensive realtime PBS coverage before that? The CBS show has been a travesty cramming everything into a commercial-fest non-realtime 42 minutes. And they even kept the show in SD long after HD had taken over. Ridiculous.

The only thing I won't miss is the radical turn to the Right the evening took with an almost Fascistic military worship tone and too many generic country pop slingers representing mostly Confederate values. But they did have the occasional quality act.

And the Pops themselves were fun and you can not beat those fireworks with a stick. Especially in HD which they FINALLY got around to providing just a few years ago.

Truly, things are getting worse and worse. Little gems of unique quality like the Boston Pops 4th are getting ground into dust by bland, lowest common denominator network corporatism. The Capitol 4th from Washington is nothing but a horrific firestorm of political military/industrial propaganda wrapped in redneck rubbish. Which leaves NY to sell us the military drivel line, but the triple-tier fireworks are okay. It's just so monstrous and corporate-funded that it's sort of like Macy's Santa spending Christmas with you instead of your dad. There's no soul in Soho, the East River gives me a shiver.

8. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    I think watching fireworks on TV is about as lame as it gets. I honestly do not understand the appeal.

2 people like this.
  9. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003

10. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    This is why I don't watch network TV Network now.

11. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Aug 6, 2010
    Why bother right?

Almost everything they show now is garbage!

12. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Network TV isn't was it was in the 50's and 60's.

13. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Neither am I. :sure:

14. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Much to my surprise, tomorrow CBS is not only bringing back the "Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular" but they are bringing it back as a two hour show! I guess I'll have to send an email to CBS and the local station saying thanks!

1 person likes this.
  15. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
  16. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Sigh.

Well from the point of view of producing a quality show specifically to celebrate the meaning of the Fourth of July, "A Capitol Fourth" on PBS had no serious competition. The performers and their music were outstanding and appropriate. The tribute to the 100th birthday of the National Park Service was inspiring.

From a general entertainment standpoint NBC's “Macy's 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular” was fine.

On the other hand, IMHO it would have been ok if CBS had not bothered to bring us "Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular."

It ...I don't know... was generally not well produced and was just a shadow of what the show was like ten years ago. And while Demi Lovato has an outstanding voice (I'm not even going to mention Jonas), even her strong "Purple Rain" somehow seemed wrong and her costume was odd for the particular event, particularly with the Boston Pops in the background.

[​IMG]

Sometimes broadcast television fails the target audience. There are times when young people need to understand that "the fireworks" are not just a cool part of an entertainment package that looks and feels like any other pop star concert. I know, I know, I'm old - but it was the 240th celebration of what happened in July 1776.

17. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I can only commment on the second hour of the Boston show. We were all outside, watching people blow up the neighborhood. :grin: When the show finally got to the fireworks, the music was, to say the least, inappropriate for the Fourth. You'd think they could have played Sousa marches and other patriotic music instead of pop music that didn't fit in. My regret is that I didn't think to record the Macy's and Capitol shows. :bang Did they play the Stars and Stripes Forever? If so, we missed it. That was always a highlight of the broadcast. As to the musical part that we did see, it wasn't up to the eequality of previous broadcasts. Keith Lockhart is good, but cant match Fiedler or John Williams.

18. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If you have a previous recording, then you already have part of what PBS showed on the 4th.

http://nypost.com/2016/07/05/pbs-used-old-fireworks-footage-during-live-fourth-of-july-show/

19. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I kind of wish they did more in Cincinnati. Maybe not necessarily to the NYC level of fireworks or Thanksgiving Parade, but they don't have a whole lot of visibility here.