1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CBS Regional Sports

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Codeman00, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    My basketball game is on Saturday on CBS....and unfortunately its regional coverage only and I'm not in the area that it will be shown. I checked with my friends that have DirecTV and DTV has overflow channels for the CBS Regional games.

I can't find any information that confirms that Dish Network has overflow channels for CBS regional and it wouldn't surprise me if the answer is no. Dish is always behind on about everything that matters to me. And of course, my emails to both Dish and ceo@dishnetwork.com have fallen on deaf ears. I haven't bothered to call Dish customer service because I know that would be a 15 min waste of my time.

Are there overflows for CBS regional? Has there ever been overflows?

2. NickF DISH

NickF DISH Guest

Dec 28, 2010
    We don't have any CBS regional alternates since these games are on local channels. DISH does carry the Big Ten Network alternate channels which are used mainly during college football season. We also have ESPN Alternate channels which will show programming occasionally.

3. Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Nick,

Thanks for the quick response. At least I know now ahead of time that I have to get to a friends house or a sports bar to get the game. I guess the next question is why does DirecTV make the overflow available and Dish doesn't?

I apologize for the frustration but over the last 7 years of being a Dish customer, it always seems like Dish is behind direcTV. Dish still has no NFL package (although they finally added Redzone), Dish didn't have NCAA March Madness package (which thankfully isn't needed now), and Dish doesn't carry ESPN3D like DirecTV does. Some of the local sports games listed in HD I can't get in HD, because there isn't enough Dish bandwidth. And now I subscribe to about every channel you have and I still can't get my college bball game on Saturday. Somehow, DirecTV has the forethought to make all of the above available without any issues.

I really don't want to give up my Dish Network dual room HD DVR, but enough is enough...Dish is just behind the curve way too often playing catch up.

Again, thanks for the response...I was hoping it would be a better one.

4. NickF DISH

NickF DISH Guest

Dec 28, 2010
    I'm honestly not sure how they have the capability of showing the other regional games. CBS is part of individual local packages. We are regulated by the FCC to provide local packages based on zip code. Since CBS is within these local packages we aren't able to offer other regional programming.

With the 3D channels DISH Network is in the process of adding this to the lineup. No exact details have been provided at this time. I will be happy to submit a programming request form for this as well!

DISH does offer the NFL Red Zone package. DIRECTV is able to provide the NFL Sunday Ticket based on a contract with NFL. They are the only pay-tv provider that has that contract, along with the NCAA March Madness they have had in the past.

5. epokopac

epokopac Godfather

Aug 8, 2007
    Lawrencevill...
    If sports (especially NFL ST, MLB EI and the like) are important to you, then you really need to look at Direct and not Dish. Dish will NEVER be the "Sports Leader" which is just fine by me.

6. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    +1!

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It is all about priorities and what each has chosen to concentrate on. DIRECTV has always been bent on sports; often to the exclusion of other popular offerings.

If your team isn't in your area, DIRECTV likely offers the best chance of seeing them. On the other side of the coin, if your team is in your area, DISH Network occasionally offers you better opportunities to see them than DIRECTV does owing to their broader HD LIL market coverage.

It comes down to the fact that nobody offers everything so you need to do some serious comparision shopping to find the best line-up match. It is also important to recognize that reputation and marketing claims should be weighted very lightly.

8. Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I do appreciate your help, everyone.

9. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    How D* gets to show OOM CBS games is the same as the Game Plan pack with ESPN/ABC. It's not impossible for E* and CBS to negotiate.