1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

CBS Renews 18 for Another Season

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Drucifer, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    CBS Renews 18 Primetime Shows for the 2013-2014 Season

SOURCE

2. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    We're pleased. :)

Would like to see CSI: NY get the renewal as well, but not surprised it's on the bubble. Friday's is a tough slot for TV shows.

Peace,
    Tom

3. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Me too! I think CSI:NY is much better than the current version of the original CSI which has too many goofy subplots relating to the characters' personal lives. Although speaking of personal lives, the last episode of CSI:NY with the marriage proposal was really nice. Sadly, I bet this really IS the final episode.

4. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
  5. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    David Spade is already in another show for ABC. Too bad, I enjoy Rules Of Engagement.

6. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    I'd like to see Criminal Minds come up as #19.

7. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    For as closely as I will admit to following this, I think CM not being on the list is somewhat of a surprise; I thought it was, however unexplicably, getting ratings that would ensure renewal. Even in repeats it typically bests competition from new, competing show eps. But final decisions on the rest don't typically come until the first week in May, although being left off this list does not bode well.

The other surprise, is The Good Wife, possibly the best show EVER on television. The report has always been that it is hanging on by fingernails and that the only reason it made it to the end of the current season is because it needs ~88 eps to be viable for syndication. I did not see that one coming.

While happy about that, I really want to see Golden Boy get picked up. Odds are not really good. Like Vegas, too.

8. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I'm right there with you on CSI: NY, Tom. Although I'm really enjoying the original CSI with Ted Danza, I think CSI: NY still tops the list as our favorite CSI (including the now extinct CSI: Miami, which i absolutely detested).

I really, really wish that Golden Boy would get picked up, though all indications are that it is heading for a place on the cutting room floor. It's the first new show we've watched in several years - we'd stopped trying to pick new shows becuase the ones we picked always got axed. We watched Golden Boy one evening when we were all caught up on all our regulars and we were unsure at first but both Mrs. Sharkie and I are enjoying it very much. And, apparently our jinx on new shows is also continuing. :(

Glad to see Elementary get picked up for another season. We've only watched a few episodes, but we've enjoyed the ones we watched.

9. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I'm with you on both. I've enjoyed The Good Wife since it debuted and am sorry to see that it appears it won't be around next year.

And Golden Boy and Vegas are two I really enjoy also.

10. HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY Legend

Apr 11, 2007
    north east pa
    i like csi ny and criminal minds. cbs renew them.

11. BAHitman

BAHitman Godfather

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin Texas
    I'm just glad they renewed Person of Interest!

12. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    :up: Only show I watch on CBS right now.

13. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Blue Bloods wasn't on the renewal list either. We record first-runs only and watch it regularly, but along with CSI:NY and Criminal Minds, when they're not on the play list, we really don't miss those shows.

We will miss Good Wife, if it goes. My first guess would be the show's a victim of CBS sports screwing up the Sunday night schedule, but The Mentalist doesn't seem to be affected by that. :shrug:

14. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Blue Bloods is on the list. S is the Gd Wife. BTW while the effect of Sprts n the CBS SUnday schedule isa ource of cnsternation t anyone with a DVR it generally HELPS ratings.

Why d s many in this thread think that The God Wife is not n the list?

15. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    It almost seems like the local CBS channel must be missing here....our household only watches 1 of all those 18 shows referenced... :D

But for followers of the others...enjoy. :)

16. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Not that it was a surprise but it was good to see Amazing Race on the list. I get to see so much more of the world than I otherwise would be able to thanks to that show.

17. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Good question! :lol: I was taking a cue from others on that one. Blue Bloods was my bad. I didn't remember seeing it on a list I was looking at yesterday.

Nice to know both those shows will be back.

18. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
  19. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    The "surprise" I was registering regarding TGW is that it indeed IS on the renewed list.

20. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    :confused::confused::confused:

Interestingly (and while I also detested it), CSI:Miami for many years was the most successful TV program in the world; there was apparently something about the Miami visual that connected in global markets.

Just to analyze that a little further, I actually liked the David Caruso character, and I have considered any movie DC was in (or TV show) to be better because he was in it. But I can see how most people hated the cartoon-character aspect of Horatio Cane. We had a drinking game for every time he whipped those sunglasses off and delivered a "clever" line (which usually immediately made Roger Daltrey scream). We all thought NYPD Blue could never recover from losing him, but then we didn't count on how terrific Jimmy Smits would be.

But I'm glad he had the gig; he was about 2 weeks away from starting a mens' haberdashery with his brother-in-law when he got the word.

No, I hated everybody else. Everybody. They were all jackasses, and they all treated every suspect, guilty or not, with complete disdain and a total lack of respect. Good riddance. One-dimensional creeps, all of them.

But the success of CSI:Miami also had a lot to do with how it didn't take any hard work on the part of the viewer. At least CSI had a sense of humor and made you think a little bit. But that was what was attractive about CSI:Miami; after a hard day at work slaying dragons of every sort, you could lounge in front of the TV and just veg; there was no heavy lifting; you didn't really have to pay close attention or follow an intricate plot Ahem! <Castle> Cough!.

There was no pre-show wrap up ("Last week on CSI:Miami...") because there was no ongoing overarching theme you had to keep up with. If you got interrupted by the kids or a phone call or pee break, you really hadn't missed anything important, because none of it was important. It's like McDonald's; you know exactly what you're getting, and that it will taste exactly like it did last time. The most important thing on CSI:Miami were the pretty pictures; it was popular in HD for the same reason Bonanza was once popular in color.

And there is a certain appeal to that. I love Castle and Revenge and Scandal, but I would never attempt to watch them if I were tired or even just sleepy, because they take too much work, too much pressure; too much investment from me the viewer. If I am tired or sleepy, but not ready to retire, I watch CSI or The Mentalist, because they go down so easy.