1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CBS Waiver

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by davids, May 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davids

davids Mentor

Mar 28, 2006
    I live in the Grand Rapids, Mi area and would like to know if I get a waiver from my local station so that I can get the New York feed for CBS will I be able to pick it up with my Dish 1000 or will I need another dish? Someone told me that my Dish 1000 won't get it because the I would need a dish pointing to the east.

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    That is up to your local cbs. If it is a o&o station, should be no problem there. I don't know if current rules will allow you an earlier time feed, but there is the cbs-w feed out of LA. Other problems from there would be that cbs-e is on the 61.5 location while the cbs-w is on 148.

3. davids

davids Mentor

Mar 28, 2006
    It is my understanding that the Dish 1000 receives signals from 110, 119, and 129 locations. If this is the case, then I won't be able to receive CBS HDTV since it is at the 61.5 location. Am I correct?

4. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Yep.

5. nazz

nazz Legend

May 4, 2006
    I just faxed a waiver this morning and am waiting to see if the channel is going to show up. I don't have a clue how soon it would appear but I keep checking it anyway.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I would not hold my breath waiting for WWMT to approve a waiver in Grand Rapids.

7. whatchel1

whatchel1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2006
    I don't understand why you would want the NY CBS station since WWMT is an HD station for CBS. Are you in someplace that can't pick up their HD signal. If this is true then you will have to have a site survey to prove that you can't get a signal that is good enuff to pick up the station. It is possible but hard if you are with in the area considered to be a good signal contour. It will cost you money to have a tech come to your house with a spectrum analyzer and prove that the signal quality is not clean or strong enuff to produce a good signal using a standard outdoor antenna.

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    WWMT has a poor HD coverage area - and they were slow to cooperate with cable companies to allow them to rebroadcast their HD signals. It there is a way for WWMT to prevent another station from coming into a home they will do that.

9. Tower Guy

Tower Guy Godfather

Jul 27, 2005
    In this instance a test will not cause an automatic waiver. WWMT DTV signal testing will not begin until July 2007. This is because WWMT will not continue operating on DTV channel 2 after the analog cutoff. HD LiL in Grand Rapids will probably occur before that.

One of the characteristics of channel 2 is that an antenna must be mounted high to get good signal levels. Antennas on the low VHF channels (2-6) interact with the ground and cause the main beam of the antenna to tilt upwards; not at the horizon. The lower the antenna, the higher the beam is tilted up. UHF signals may work fine at 15' above the ground, but channel 2 works better at least 30' up.

10. davids

davids Mentor

Mar 28, 2006
    I have received the HDTV waiver from WWMT. After going to all the trouble to get it and it wasn't hard, I find that I can't use it because the CBS feed is on the 61.5 sat. and my dish 1000 doesn't pick it up. Bummers.

11. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Did you bother to read my previous reply. Thought I kept it simple enough with my "YEP!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.