1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CBS Works to Silence Tweet about DISH's Hopper

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by tsmacro, Feb 28, 2013.

1. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Network demands ‘The Big Bang Theory' star pull tweet from @KaleyCuoco

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- CBS late yesterday continued its war on progress. The network demanded that "The Big Bang Theory" star Kaley Cuoco remove from Twitter a sponsored tweet she posted earlier in the day endorsing DISH's Hopper® Whole-Home HD DVR (NASDAQ: DISH).

Kaley Cuoco Tweet - February 27, 2013 (Photo: Business Wire)
    "It's disappointing that CBS — once the exemplar of editorial independence and innovation — continues to use its heavy hand to hold back progress from consumers," said Joe Clayton, DISH president and CEO.

In just a few short hours, Cuoco's tweet had earned thousands of clicks from consumers interested in learning more about the DISH DVR experience.

"Clearly, with this kind of response, consumers have a true interest in the types of innovations the DISH Hopper offers," said Clayton. "It's a shame that CBS, despite its legacy, feels it needs to thwart this kind of consumer demand."

CBS, along with other major broadcast networks, has consistently refused to air commercial advertising featuring DISH's Hopper.

Last month, CBS Corp. unfairly forced CNET to disqualify DISH's Hopper with Sling® Whole-Home HD DVR from CNET's "Best of CES" awards program. CBS Corp, which is CNET's parent, has sued DISH over Hopper's consumer-friendly PrimeTime Anytime™ and the AutoHop™ commercial-skipping features.

DISH's new Hopper with Sling, unveiled at the 2013 International CES, makes available several capabilities that improve the DISH experience at home and on the go, giving customers the ability (if they want) to watch live and recorded television from home anywhere on Internet-connected tablets, smartphones and PCs at no additional charge using the Hopper's new built-in Sling capabilities, as well as watch television on an iPad without an Internet connection. See more at:

http://about.dish.com/press-release...ce-cnets-best-ces-awards#sthash.IGtF4y0n.dpuf

About DISH

DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides approximately 14.056 million satellite TV customers, as of Dec. 31, 2012, with the highest quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value, including HD Free for Life. Subscribers enjoy the largest high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network Corporation's subsidiary, Blockbuster L.L.C., delivers family entertainment to millions of customers around the world. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.

2. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    You would think that by now that CBS would learn that this kind of thing tends to backfire on them. They try to squelch someone else talking about the Hopper and as a result it ends up getting even more attention than if they just left it alone. As an example I would've never known that Kaley Cuoco had tweeted anything about the Hopper if CBS hadn't tried to have it removed.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Her tweet didn't even mention ad skipping...

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Fortunately for her, the show is a Chuck Lorre Productions along with Warner Bros. Television. CBS can be rather petulant at times.

5. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    By the way, I wonder if we'll see a Lorre Vanity Card about this after a "BBT" episode? :grin:

6. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Here's the Tweet from what was probably the first news story on it at The Wrap:

[​IMG]

The story explains:
    While the tweet may have gotten some potential Dish customers to look further, Dish couldn't have asked CBS for a better promo by creating a flurry of news stories - they're everywhere.:sure:

7. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    lol that is awesome. Nothing like the networks helping bring publicity to this right. Maybe it was a great move after all for Dish to just say you know what, we are releasing it until were told not to. That being said, I wonder if we will see more carriage disputes with dish over this in the upcoming years. Its pretty obvious that FOX and CBS are pretty upset over this.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  9. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yes we have a new story from The Wrap CBS Denies Demanding Kaley Cuoco Delete Dish Tweet (Update) which says:
    This is one of those "I don't care what you say about me, just spell my name correctly" things for Dish. The issue is now a headline for a second day.:rolleyes:

10. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Literally one button recording of all primetime CBS shows every day of the year.

Seems like someone in the CBS organization might have a clue at some point.

11. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Obviously carefully worded response from CBS here. Notice how they specifically say "no demands were made". Probably technically true, however I bet Ms Cuoco's representatives got a message from CBS's reps on how it would be in her best interest to have that tweet removed.

Oh and here's msn's story on the whole affair:http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=793305

12. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    As much as I think devious might apply to Clayton, I really don't believe that there was no communication from someone on CBS side to someone on Cuoco's side. And probably Cuoco's side asked Dish's folks if they could take it down. And after the Dish folks got done with their victory dance, they sent out the news release....

Just my script of how things may have happened.

13. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    From this Forbes story:
    The important thing is the stats offered seem to indicate that the effort is producing brand awareness on the cheap.

14. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Very interesting.

Thanks

15. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Threads merged.

16. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The irony again here... much like what FOX attempted to do with Nascar last weekend and the Dish sponsored car...

CBS is saying Dish is interfering with their ads... and then CBS proceeds to interfere with Dish ads. It kind of undercuts their argument that "commercials are sacred" when they try to silence a Dish-sponsored tweet.

In the scheme of things... it isn't a major thing, but Dish more than gets their money's worth of publicity out of it.