1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CC lockup and sound and picture sync.

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by smackman, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 2, 2007 #1 of 11
    smackman

smackman Godfather

Sep 18, 2006
    I am still having issues witrh closed caption locking up on recorded programs. When I record a program and enable CC during viewing of recording SOMETIMES my 622 locks up, goes into a soft reboot etc. etc. Its has happened on Fox and CBS dish locals. It will continue to lock up in same place until CC is disabled then everything is fine except for picture and sound sync. Anyone else having CC issues and issues with sound and picture sync on Dish HD locals?

2. May 3, 2007 #2 of 11
    smackman

smackman Godfather

Sep 18, 2006
    HUM; I guess I will never recover from getting my 100 rebate from *E* or I am alone on this CC problem since 4.03. I have learned a lot from this forum but I know a blackball when I see it. Anyway its a great forum. I will continue to read and learn.

3. May 3, 2007 #3 of 11
    Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    No blackball there smackman. My guess is that no one has ran into your particular issue. Is it particular to any show? Dish HD locals is something that is a mixed bag for sure. My guess is there is still tweaking being done given that they MPEG4. For me the Dish HD locals are the most problematic of my channels, but having said that they are pretty rock solid and have drastically improved over the last 6 months to the point where I am not really noticing reliability issues with them like I did 6 months back. My guess is that your locals are running the same course.

My suggestion would be to email dishquality with specifics as to what you are seeing. If it is particular shows or channels be sure to include them.. Be sure to mention that CC on causes the problem while CC off does not. Also if there is a particular program you always get it on, Post it here and some others can try it on there Dish HD locals and see if they also see it. Try to get a reproducible case that can be relayed to Dish I am sure would speed up the process.

4. May 3, 2007 #4 of 11
    johnstred

johnstred AllStar

Aug 8, 2005
    My senior mother is visiting - hard of hearing - so I used close caption for the first time... and YES, I have this problem as well.... re-boots almost all the time within 10 minutes or less watching locals both OTA and SAT. Tried it 5 times... I am now giving up to the disappointment of my mother!

5. May 3, 2007 #5 of 11
    Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Both OTA and Stat. Definitely an localized issue then. I have had it both on my OTA and SAT and have not seen this reboot and I did have it turned on for more than 10 minutes.

Is it show particular?

6. May 3, 2007 #6 of 11
    smackman

smackman Godfather

Sep 18, 2006
    It has happened on CBS programming Shark and Fox programming 24. I was recording Sat. material not OTA. I have never had a CC lockup on any thing beside dish locals but I seldom record using OTA because I get only CBS and NBC HD OTA. I am recording Shark Tonight using OTA and will see if I lock up with CC. It is a random problem for me meaning it does not lock up every time I use CC on these recorded programs. I will log my results after watching Shark with CC. Thanks for the info.
    p.s. Besides this my HD Dish locals are GREAT!

7. May 4, 2007 #7 of 11
    tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    I reported problems with CC reboots to DISH, particularly with WNBC-DT over satellite, in previous releases. For me they seem to have fixed that now. But perhaps it is specific to the processing of a channel, and is still a problem for others.

8. May 4, 2007 #8 of 11
    smackman

smackman Godfather

Sep 18, 2006
    I just watched Shark recorded from OTA. No lockups with OTA but CC was very errratic meaning way out of sync with video. Also the CC totally stopped working for a 10 minute stretch then started working but way out of Sync. Here is my trouble ticket report:
    1. Closed Caption locks up my receiver randomly with Sat. Local Transmissions.
    2. The CC on these locals are generally way out of sync with video and eratic CC transmissions are common. Sometimes the CC will not work at all but watching the same program on my TV tuner OTA Closed Caption works fine everytime.
    3. I have only had the locking up CC problems with CBS and FOX.
    4. ABC local recordings do have Sync problems and ABC has the worse video jitter problems.
    5. Disabling CC after a soft reboot always fixes the problem but you must watch the rest of the program without CC.
    6. When it locks up it ALWAYS locks up at same place. In other words I have more than once tried watching recorded program again with CC and it locks up in the same scene every time.
    7. These are the shows I record that lock up with CC; 24 on Fox and Shark on CBS. I also record programming on ABC but never had a lockup there only CC problems with being out of sync. All sat. locals have this problem.
    8. My Caller ID problem is FIXED! No lock ups here anymore after 4.03. I thought I would end on a positive note.

9. May 4, 2007 #9 of 11
    smackman

smackman Godfather

Sep 18, 2006
    I sent dishquality a detailed description of my issues with Closed Caption during playback of recordings of sat. locals. Thanks Ron for info.

10. dreslism

dreslism Mentor

Nov 14, 2006
    The CC lockup is random, and happens on several different shows. It has happened on local sat and on local ota for me.

You stated above "5. Disabling CC after a soft reboot always fixes the problem but you must watch the rest of the program without CC."

This is not totally true. As you know and stated above, it will lock up and reboot at the exact same point every time.

If CC is turned off, then it is fine at that same point. Once I get past the lockup point, I have always been able to turn CC back on and watch the rest of the show without any issue.

I have never had it lock up in 2 different places during the same show.

--Scott

11. rhorn01

rhorn01 Cool Member

Sep 8, 2002
    Finally.
    I was beginning to think I was the only one with this problem.
    I, too, and hard of hearing and use CC.
    My system will lock and soft boot at any time, during any program, any channel, recored or live. If watching a recorded program after the reboot I turn off the CC and replay the part where it locked it will play past that part w/out problem.
    And of course it never does it during commercials but usually at the end of program so you never know how it ended.
    Is there, or has there been, a fix for this annoying problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.