1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CC rant and question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by JeffBowser, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 8, 2007 #1 of 28
    JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    I am hard of hearing, my family is not. We switch CC on and off with great regularity. The 23 step process with the current H and HR series remotes is a major pain. Can anyone here point me to a resource or contact where I can raise this issue with any possibility of success ?

2. Aug 8, 2007 #2 of 28
    MikeR

MikeR Hall Of Fame

Oct 5, 2006
    No idea on who to push the software change, but if you find the person that will do it, post a link here!

Here is a friendly contest where they got the CC activation down to 13 steps.

It really should be easier than this, and it is on the HR20 wish list

3. Aug 8, 2007 #3 of 28
    JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    Thanks, Mike. I had read it was on a wish list, and that there might have been another gentleman pushing it, I was hoping this was the case, and to offer any assistance I could. I have one of my units using a programmable remote, and have it down to 4 clicks with a macro, but it still takes a long time, and involves disrupting the programming to go into the menu. I have to wonder what hard-hearted, short sighted programmer was responsible for this design.

4. Aug 8, 2007 #4 of 28
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I can hear OK, but there are times when the voices tend to be soft and if you turn the TV up loud enough to hear them clearly you get balsted with the rest of the sound. I use CC a fair amount of the time in situations like that. I have ALWAYS wished that the CC was as simple to use as the "Mute" button. Not that you would cut out the sound with the CC button, but that one press and the CC would come on as it is set up in your set-up menu and would go off with another press of the button.

I know it's much more complicated than that (or better be given the way it's programmed now!), but you set up the way you want it in a set-up menu, then the activation/deactivation is just a simple button push.

Oh well, a guy can dream, can't he? :)

5. Aug 8, 2007 #5 of 28
    MikeR

MikeR Hall Of Fame

Oct 5, 2006
    It is surprising that this functionality is buried in the sub menus. Personally, I use it often, particularly when I'm watching at night (wife is trying to sleep); or the kids are running around. Just an annoyance with me, but if I required the use of CC to watch TV, I'd be pushing the change hard. I would suspect a significant % have this requirement.

Now that you mention it, I do recall reading another poster here needing this functionality.....I'll do some more searching.

6. Aug 8, 2007 #6 of 28
    pman_jim

pman_jim Legend

Jan 24, 2007
    Capmeister has multiple posts from this year concerning the CC issue with the HR-20. I would do a search for his posts. I don't know that it has ever come to a resolution though.

7. Aug 8, 2007 #7 of 28
    JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    All of my TV's, and my older generation DirecTV boxes support one button on off CC as Cap'n Picard mentions, with your options preset in the menu system, so clearly it is simply a programming choice made. Thanks for the comments so far everyone.

8. Aug 8, 2007 #8 of 28
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Which models?
    Or was the button a CC mode that sent a CC toggle to your TV?

9. Aug 8, 2007 #9 of 28
    JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    It was prior to the H and HR series - my old RCA models, my Samsungs, couple others I can't recall now (I never had any of the R-series boxes). The button was simply a CC toggle - on or off, you setup the actual preferences in a menu. Although, some of my TV's actually will cycle through all CC options with the single button, but that only works when the TV is the tuner, doesn't work when the input is HDMI or component from a DirecTV box. If you want specific models, Earl, I can get them when I go home this evening.

10. MikeR

MikeR Hall Of Fame

Oct 5, 2006
  11. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    That's okay... I was just curious on the "generation"...

So basically it was the receivers pre-2002ish for the most part.

12. JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    Thanks, Earl, you are correct.

Thanks Mike, it was Capmeister that I was thinking about.

13. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    IMO, they should set it up to maybe use one of the colored buttons (maybe the green) while watching a program.

14. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Unfortunately all the colored buttons are spoken for:

Green: bookmark
    Red: What's Hot
    Yellow: Audio
    Blue: keep

We all want to see a better CC solution, no question about that.

15. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I am not hearing impaired. I have participated in many of the threads that have discussed the solutions for this remote issue in both plus and minus issues.
    I am very surprised at the lack of attention to the issue of a quick and easy CC option due to of the current state of the HR20.
    #1 it has, IMO, gotten to the fine tuning point of its conception. #2 should be attacking the smaller , broader audience that has spent so much time and effort in helping with the development. They should be paying close attention to the easy fixes on the wish list, and again, IMO, this could be such an easy repair for several people out there.

..stepping down from soap box ..

16. FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67 CE'er & Retired Engineer DBSTalk Club

Jan 12, 2007
    Windber, PA
    The CC button was available on my Hughes HTLHD which I purchased in Jan 2004.

17. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Lamont, Blue is for one-line guide while watching live (or playback?) and keep in LIST.

Cheers,
    Tom

18. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    There are multiple uses for the different colored buttons depending on where you are at on your system. The green doesn't bookmark unless you are watching a recorded program AND you pause it first. When you are watching live tv or a recording is playing, the green button just "bongs". Maybe it can, maybe it can't be added there. But they really need to come up with something better.

19. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Yeah, that too. Goes to show what can happen when you type faster than you think. Didn't mean to mislead anyone.

20. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Several months ago we discussed making it an option from the quick menu, so you could press MENU and scroll down to CC On/Off. I don't know what happened with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.