1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CCR Roulette

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by otisorungus, Nov 27, 2010.

1. otisorungus

otisorungus New Member

Oct 10, 2010
    OK, so, for the last few months I have worked for Directv answering phones as, I guess, technical support. I wanted to give some information as to what I dealt with so that others may have some understanding when dealing with customer service at Directv. I am making no apologies for CCR's who may be rude or unhelpful, I just want everyone here to know what it is like on the other side of the phone. I have left that job, because, quite simply, I could not take the abuse any more.

Every CCR you speak with is not stupid. They may just be working this particular job because they cannot find another job. I have a BS in computer information systems (graduated with a 4.0 in all classes). I have been using Directv since I installed my own system in 1997. I am not stupid. If you talk to me like I am stupid, my ability/willingness to help just disappeared. I am sorry you are frustrated and you are having problems; and I really want to help you. Seriously, I do. But I am a person.

If the first thing you say to me is that Comcast can be out here later today, then call them. This fact does not change what I can do for you. Just call and ask to cancel your account.

CCR's can only do what they can do. I know that you will be upset when I cannot give you exactly what you want. I have rules to follow; screaming at me, calling me names, or threatening me because a tech cannot come out today does not change that. I wish things were different. If you don't like a policy that Directv has, ask for a Supervisor. I have the same frustration with the policy as you in many cases. But the CCR cannot change policies.

I have had customers who have told me that they should have a service call immediately because they had to move the switch on the remote to turn their TV on and off. I am sorry you are having this problem, but sending a tech out will not fix this. I know your neighbor does not have to move the switch, and I am sorry this is such a problem, but cussing me out does not change the limitations of the remote.

When you call, please use the automated system so that your call is routed to the correct department. I have answered many calls with billing questions while in Tech Support. I would like to help you and I will do my best without transferring you, but for good service in this department, let the system know what you need. You will get better service as a result.

After this experience, when I call, my attitude will be different. It is hard to be nice on the next call when the last person you talked to told you that you were an idiot because they troubleshot their own system and would not work with you to fix the problem.

A majority of the issues that I troubleshot were traced back to a TV on the wrong input or incorrect resolution settings on the TV. Remember this, the last person I talked to had a message on their screen that said "no signal"(not searching for sat, but rather a message from the TV) and was so important they could not press the input button on their TV. They cussed me out because a technician could not come out right now to press it for them, and they want a credit on their bill for the whole month of service, even though the other 5 TV's on their account work fine. Not to mention hearing that I "don't know who I am talking to" and that I needed to answer the always pleasant "without TV, what am I supposed to do now?" question daily.

I tried to be as nice as I could, and if you are just as nice, according to my personal stats, I will be able to resolve your issue over the phone 85% of the time with your help! I really did want to help, but the rules that Directv set and the unrealistic expectations of those that called really made me hate the job. So, please, treat the people you talk to with respect. The CCR's can do a lot for you when you treat them with respect.

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    It sounds like you were one of the rare ones.

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    You hit one nail on the head for sure. I do both the phone tech support, and service calls for our company (commercial coffee equipment). Had a customer claim the coffee maker was dead, and needed a service call immediately. I asked him if he could check the GFCI and breaker to make sure there was power on that outlet. He said it wasnt his job to troubleshoot, he had customers waiting for coffee. When he said that, I assured him he was correct, and scheduled a service call for 3 days later (even though my schedule for that day had several open slots). When I got there 3 days later, I pushed the reset button on the gfci, and handed him his $75 service call bill (minimum hour plus mileage) and left. Not only could he have saved the $75, but whatever he spent for the two Mr. Coffee's at WalMart he was using for a backup.

4. beavis

beavis Icon

Jun 8, 2005
    I'm with you on that bro. It's frustrating dealing with people so goddamn stupid it's unbelievable. Every time I've had to call a company I do business with (Sprint mostly) I am nothing but courteous to the CSR. If the CSR gets an attitude first then that's another story. People act so entitled sometimes. I totally feel ya on the input issue. (In fact, I was a D* CSR for almost 5 years) so I know EXACTLY what you're dealing with. Don't ya love those idiots who call in the day of the big game and raise hell if a tech can't get out there RIGHT NOW cause they have 30 people coming over to watch it. You know what? I don't give a rats ass about that.

Oh, and +1 on the GWAR reference in your ID. (I'm guess that's what it's from)

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Sometimes it feels like there's a Bad Moon on the Rise

6. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Yeah... :rolleyes:

7. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Why confused Matt?

8. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Not confused, I caught the same thing and was just rolling my eyes. :lol:

9. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    And that is just it. There are lots of good people on the other end of the phone that sincerely want to help. The guy I spoke with on my upgrade a few months ago was one of those.

Unfortunately there are also a lot of people on the other end who have a severe deficiency in listening skills. If I am trying to explain a problem to you and I have already told you what I have done, dont give me the canned responses to try the exact same troubleshooting steps I just told you I did prior to calling. Many times CCRs are so stuck on reading the canned responses they forget that sometimes issues fall outside of the scripts.

10. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    When you deal with people they can be a real PITA

11. marquitos2

marquitos2 Legend

Jan 10, 2004
    Just be nice and you will get the help. Every time I called with an issue i played nice and most of the time I get results.

12. xmetalx

xmetalx Godfather

Jun 3, 2009
    Is there a "like" button somewhere for this thread?

13. Joe Diver

Joe Diver AllStar

Oct 12, 2006
    I could never work in a field or job that deals directly with the public and in a customer service role. In general, I don't like people. They tend to be self centered, self important, and their problems are more important than anything else. Plus, they're stupid.

14. sx2700

sx2700 New Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Exactly, people suck. They aren't calling to say you're doing a good job and to have a nice day, they are calling because they are pissed off or they want something. Most of the time they don't even give you a chance to help or answer their questions before they get beligerent and start yelling.

15. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I know this thread is about Customer Service Representatives (CSR), but I just can't figure out what a CCR is? It's probably simple, so fill me in anyway. :)

16. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    CCR was a band from the 60s/70s.

17. sheltrk

sheltrk AllStar

Nov 1, 2007
    I was reading it as "Customer Care Representative", which is a synonym for CSR... Not sure if that was the OP's official title?

18. rayik

rayik AllStar

Mar 30, 2009
    I have never had a problem with a CSR with D* or any other company. (The nicest I dealt with was with Verizon). I find being polite and saying things such as "thank you for helping me" works wonders. CSRs who appear indiffernt at first do end up being concerned and providing assistance.

Also, I've been guilty of this too, you do not necessarily know the cause of a problem when you call. I thought I had a bad D* HR box (Caller ID stopped working and no sat signal on one of the two lines coming in). I went through some very basic trouble shooting with the CSR and it turned out a cord connector shorted for one of the sat lines in shorted when I moved the box. By listening and following even the basic instructions given, the problem was solved (when I was sure it was something else).

If one is polite and expresses thanks, the CSR usually is very helpful.

19. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    Love the story.

I've worked call centers for a while and have had all sorts of people call in and worked with all sorts of different reps on our end. The one that takes the cake for me was a rep working with me who told me that she took the job in a call center because she didn't deal with people well. Not quite sure what she though talking on the phone with people all day was if it wasn't dealing with people.

20. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    In those situations I've found the best option to be just play along with them and tell them it didn't work. If their rules or their ability dictates that they follow those steps trying to force them to do something else isn't going to be productive or work very well. They may come up with a few things that you hadn't thought of or if you really have tried everything they will get to the end of their chart that says to escalate the case and you will get someone who can handle those issues that are outside of their normal situations with out setting your self up as a problem customer in one way or another.