1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

CCS versus SCC for non SWIM setup

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by chefwong, Jan 17, 2014.

1. chefwong

chefwong Legend

Jan 25, 2008
    For all intents and purposes, CC is primarily for powering the LNB. Everything else, including the interior runs to each room, if each cable is CCS, is this still DTV compliant ?

I ask because a good friend of mine is having a fairly extensive new home build....and I was onsite looking at stuff and noticed all the homeruns is CCS

2. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    In a new home there's no reason to run anything other than cc. But if it's already done.... Cc from the dish to the central spot and assume the central spot has power. And four lines minimum to dish id do five for antenna to personally.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    That would be no. but it does not mean that to won't work... DirecTV only approves CC to used on their system

4. chefwong

chefwong Legend

Jan 25, 2008
    Just so I'm clear, CC for ALL endpoints is their policy or are we talking about JUST to power the LNB.

While we're discussing, just for my reference, anybody know Fios policy...

5. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    CC for everything if they are installing is the policy.

now, as to what works and what doesn't there is a lot of variables. If the power adapter isn't far from the lnb, then honestly ccs would likely work for everything.

6. chefwong

chefwong Legend

Jan 25, 2008
    Thx. Just threw me off by the Lack Of - CC and seeing CCS.

Not including install costs, the HO has spent 700K just on windows alone.....

The person running the wires just to save 50-75 a spool on the CCS. It's too late now. All the runs are done. Walls are still open, but all low voltage has been run

7. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    as inky mentioned on the second post, if the cable is being installed today, there is no reason whatsoever not to install CC, they prove difference is not that much. This is why DirecTV only uses CC, because they are installing new cabling

8. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Well, Id have them run one additional cc run to every spot. You cant have to much cable anyway. especially considering what the house will cost.

9. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I think it would be best to not use "CC" for solid copper core, since copper clad steel also has "CC" in it.

For those not "in the know", SCC is what DirecTV approves and CCS isn't.

10. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Yes true.

11. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    just for interest, why is this a non-SWM install?? If there are more than eight tuners, then you would use an SWM16 (or multiple SWM16s) and so the runs to the receivers are still going to be SWM.

12. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Since the TS started with "CC" I did nor want to confuse him. But you are right on the acronyms

13. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I think he was just comparing the use of CCS vs SCC in both DirecTV's system.

14. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    He was concerned about cable runs inside the home. Those will be swm so ccs is fine.

15. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    That is correct, but the real point was/is that SCC should be used in new construction

16. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    Almost all new homes use CCS RG6, unless the purchaser a) is involved early enough b) is planning to use DirecTV and c) understands SCC would be a better choice. When I had my home built, the guy doing the low-voltage stuff said I was the first person he could remember asking for SCC.

17. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    What do you mean "understands SCC would be a better choice"? With SWM there's ZERO difference. If I was building a new house today, I wouldn't bother with SCC. What's the point?

I certainly won't criticize those who choose to pay a few bucks extra to do SCC 'just in case', but calling it a "better choice" is going a bit far. That's like claiming that buying cable swept to 4.5 GHz is a "better choice" because hey you never know if some provider might start using much higher frequencies than the range they currently are...

Back when receivers were providing power to unpowered multiswitches like the WB68 that were using that power to provide power to the LNB, with a long run and/or a receiver with a power supply that was starting to go out, it could be a problem. That type of install is in the past now.

18. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Holy crap! He must have spent $10 million over all!

19. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    Sorry, yes you are correct - but when I built my house, there was no SWM so SCC was indeed a better choice.