1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CE (Independence Day) Discussion

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Coax Networking (private)' started by Spanky_Partain, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Jul 4, 2009 #1 of 19
    Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    I do not see any changes in my DECA LED's with this CE. The C.LINK LED is Yellow and the others are Green on all 4 Units in my setup.

Everything in my setup appears to be the same as it was.

As far as code in the CE for DECA, it would be interesting to see how it is being addressed.

Here are some things in the networking world that could be done for a Linux network:

In Linux, everything is configurable via some type of configuration file setup which is just simple TEXT. For networking that is called an ifcfg file. This may be why Directv instructs the DECA to be plugged into port 1. The ifcfg file is related to which port and the one for port one is usually ifcfg-eth0. This would be the file that has specific network settings and other settings particualr to individual network cards that have been defined and inserted into the kernel. It is very easy to use some borne/bash/perl programing in here to determine what is connected to Port 1 and do some special settings in the case of DECA implentation. Since the DECA is outside of the box, there may not even be any specific programing in the network portion. All the network has to do on the box, is insert the module for the ethernet port and then configure that for network TCP/UDP traffic and it is done. DECA is just a media type, not a network type. Nothing special is coded between fiber and copper media except the driver and the only reason for that is so they can use the same driver for either fiber/copper media. It is still the same ethernet copper Broadcom device that is being addressed as far as the OS is concerned inside the box.

But really, I don't have a clue! :lol:

2. Jul 4, 2009 #2 of 19
    Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    One theory is that receiver checks for a DECA, and if present, it powers it at start-up, and that's it. With possibly no other DECA specific code. It's quite possible that there's receiver code to optimize a connection through a DECA, but maybe not.

One thing we do know for sure is that after a DECA is powered, any IP device can be connected to the DECA and it works just like any other Ethernet port.

3. Jul 4, 2009 #3 of 19
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I'm still seeing intermittent changes in regards to the C.Link light. Before download last night the lights on the DECA's hooked up to my H21 and Router were both all green while both HR21's had an orange DECA light. Right now all 4 DECA's have an orange C.Link light.

4. Jul 4, 2009 #4 of 19
    dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Saw my first yellow CLink light today for a few seconds while trying to get the H21-200 Playlist to do something/anything. Back to green now.

The wired LR HR20-700 once again didn't appear on any other Playlist, same as last week.
    Shows up and works on DIRECTV2PC with no problems.
    Don't think it's DECA-related but haven't seen this happen before last week.
    Rebooted everything and now can see the problem DVR again with MRV on the other DVRs. Of course can't do much of anything with the H21-200 with the Playlist function inop.

5. Jul 4, 2009 #5 of 19
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    As reported in the issues thread...I now have no C.Link lights at all...but all MRV continues to work (and Internet, etc.)...these lights and their behavior are indeed "interesting"...

Up to 3 days ago...had all green lights.

6. Jul 4, 2009 #6 of 19
    dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    I still have a constant green light, since day 1.

7. Jul 4, 2009 #7 of 19
    69hokie

69hokie Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    I see by your setup that you are running a "D"-Link router...no wonder "C".link light isn't working:grin:

8. Jul 4, 2009 #8 of 19
    hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    You must have confused that with the Linksys stuff. :D

9. Jul 4, 2009 #9 of 19
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I've had one orange since day one, but managed to have it change to another DECA by swapping ports at my 4-way splitter. :confused:

10. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    I read that:eek2::)

11. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    If I get the chance...I may just disconnect everything, let it sit 15 minutes, and reconnect, just to see if my lights turn on, and then if orange or green.

Right now with NO lights on, MRV is still working fine the past 2 days on all 2 HD devices.

It would appear that the color or activation of the lights has little to do with things working (at least right now, subject to a potential DECA lamp issue fix that Doug referenced earlier).

12. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Got some yellow lights after the thunderstorms blinked the power about twenty times last night. Rebooted everything as Playlists weren't coming up and now it's all back to normal.

13. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Finally got the H21-200 to play something!
    Or more specifically was able to get something on the MRV Playlist up and selected.
    Played a recent recording of a re-run of Castle from OTA HD 1080i 4-1 KFOR NBC.
    Looks pretty good but the non-repeatable pausing/pixelation/breakup problem is still there.

14. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    I'm sorta confused here... Those of you seeing yellow, are you actually seeing yellow or are you calling orange yellow?

I have yet to see yellow on any of my DECA's.

15. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    yellow = orange

16. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    To be honest, I have NEVER heard of an orange LED until we got the First Test Questions.

So as stated above from VOS,
    yellow=orange

17. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    You mean you've never heard of the LED that shows you your DVR is recording? It's orange, used to be yellow. :lol:

Granted it is a combination of both red and yellow being on at the same time, but it's still orange.

18. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    By the way, I couldn't post this in the normal discussion thread for obvious reasons but...

Taking my H21-100 out of the DECA network and adding it back to my normal network gives me a perfectly working playlist.

19. 69hokie

69hokie Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    I tried that with my "no playlist population" H21-200 and got no improvement...playlist still did not populate.