1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CED: 2006-03-20 Confirmation and Other Dialogs boxes

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Earl Bonovich, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Okay... new topic...

Confirmation Boxes and "Dialog Boxes"

For example:

A confirmation box... Do you realy want to delete this (after hitting the double dash)

A detail dialog... When setting a Series Link, a dialog box to confim (or allow you to select) additional options (vs using your default settings)

Those are just two suggestions to discuss about... you are welcome to list others.
    Or your feelings about those types of screens.

2. joegrjoe

joegrjoe Banned User

Mar 16, 2006

A confirmation box... Do you realy want to delete this (after hitting the double dash)
    YES

A detail dialog... When setting a Series Link, a dialog box to confim (or allow you to select) additional options (vs using your default settings)
    YES

Dialog boxes showing branching of options available with actions you are involved with now

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I can see the need for the confirmation box.... just in case your kids hit it, you may have the quick reflexes to grap the remote from them before they confirm the delete.

If we have a dialog box for the Series Links... should the concept of the defaults and the double hit if the Record button (to quick set a Series Link) be taken away?

What do you mean by "branching of options available with actions you are involved with now?"

I'll just add... ANY confirmation box, should have the option to surpress it... as I personal think of the 2nd "-" in the "- - " method, to be the confirmation.

4. joegrjoe

joegrjoe Banned User

Mar 16, 2006
    i would say add the dialog box after hit record the 2nd time to begin a new series link, so you can choose its options

dialog box for rating each show :)

branching ... sorta ala windows............ say in a pc you go to the aol box it opens and shows where you can go with in it

how that would be on r15 would be .....

go to my vod and next to it options pop-up .. go there / to do list /add / etc

5. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    I'd like to see a confirmation during deletes. The SELECT key for instance. Deleting a show or SL for example. However, when you play a show and it asks to delete or keep and you select delete, no confirmation.

Adding a SL, adding a recording, no need for any confirmation.

Changing, no need for a confirmation.

If you add or change and you don't want it, you can correct that situation. If you delete, and there is no UNDELETE feature, then a confirmation would be acceptable.

Now, add a UNDELETE feature and then remove any delete confirmations.

6. TMullenJr

TMullenJr Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    They can add confirmation screens, but there should be an option to enable/disable the feature.

How about an "Acknowledgement" for appropriate messages so the message doesn't continue to block the screen (searching for sat signal...).

7. ISWIZ

ISWIZ Icon

Nov 18, 2005
    YES

YES

Remove the ((R)) button feature- No way!

8. wohlfie

wohlfie Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    Confirmation screens - ABSOLUTELY NOT
    (though I don't know why they can't add an undelete or trash can)

9. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    I think they need to be selectable if you want them or not. I truely despise the delete confirmation. I told you to delete it so delete it. This is something that hs always annoyed me about TiVO. NOW to make sure you didn't delete something on accident I would much rather see a Deleted Shows folder down at the bottom or even on another menu so you can restore a show you got rid of.

Things like that always remind me of Space Balls - Preparing to depart sir: Why do we always have to prepare wh can't we just do it.

The SL's I think it would be nice BUT if it there the defaults need to to be pre-selected AND the default button selection needs to be like ok or Schedule or something so you can just hit R R Select and it sets it up.

10. dawgfan63

dawgfan63 AllStar

Feb 24, 2006
    I agree with the previous post. I think the default of confirmation boxes is a good thing.

I also think there should be an option in the settings menu somewhere to turn off the confirmations.

11. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    All destructive operations that can't be undone should have at least the option of a confirmation. I'm don't want to force confirmations on people who don't want them (in a different environment I'd be one of those people), but dash dash needs at least an optional confirmation, or it needs an undo.

Remember, confirmations aren't just for stupid users; they're also for stupid software (deleting the wrong program, deleting on a single dash, etc.) In other words, it's not just "are you sure you want to do this?", but also "This is what I think you want me to do. Is that correct?"

12. gimme5

gimme5 Legend

Jan 27, 2006
    I'm with Clint on this one. No confirmation for the double dash, but a delete folder would be nice.

For the series link, I like being able to just hit (R) twice and being done with it.

Of course, if you could just adjust the "confirmation" settings in the options, then everyone would be happy.

13. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I agree with a user option to globally enable/disable confirmations, then put whatever confirmation screens in that you want - I can disable them.

But I agree with Clint Lamor in really not liking the extra "did you really mean this?" step that tivo has, and personally don't want to see it on the R15.

For new series records - a setting box pops up with all of the default options. You can accept that with one button push (default by hitting select).

Program information: PLEASE PROVIDE THE SAME COMPLETE PROGRAM DESCRIPTION EVERY PLACE IT APPEARS. For example, if you are using the list format of the program guide, the program description is a virtually useless half sentence. Put in the same description that you see when you are in the grid guide.

Carl

14. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    -- confirmation, YES with an option to turn it off but on by default or add an undelete folder and then no need for the confirmation. But I think this is needed due to the fact the - sometimes does the -- and you end up deleting 2 shows.

R)) no confirmation needed if you want to setup the long way just hit info.

This really isn't a confirmation box but the MYVOD recording should list upcoming and recorded episodes under the episodes if you hit info/select, right now it's just a blank tab.

15. cabanaboy1977

Nov 16, 2005
    I also would like a confirmation if you hit that dumb active button. I hate losing the buffer just because I was trying to go to MYVOD to manage shows, etc.

16. Melquiades

Melquiades Mentor

Feb 19, 2006
    NO confirmation box on double-dash-delete, unless it's something you can turn off.

YES to a 'recycle bin' that allows you to retrieve deleted shows.

YES to a pop-up after hitting (R) or ((R)) on a guide show asking if you want to record with the defaults or refine the recording.

17. rrbhokies

rrbhokies Legend

May 10, 2004
    Absolutely a Recycle Bin!!! This should be relatively easy to program in. It's not like the file still isn't on the hard drive right after you hit the delete button. It should be easy to retrieve it and access it again. I'm still amazed that they dropped the ball and didn't include it as part of the original functionality.

18. cabanaboy1977

Nov 16, 2005
    Confirmation Box and Dialog Box, I think this is both and I'm surprised no one has said it. The wonderful "switch channel" to start the recording message. I think Earl has said it will be corrected but wanted to bring it up. It should give you 3 options 1)(default)change the channel when the program starts 2) change channel now 3) don't change. Also (i forgot if it does this or not but if it doesn't it should) it should let you the channel it's going to change and the name of the program.

19. laceyd

laceyd Cool Member

Mar 6, 2006
    I learnt that Sci-Fi channel were going to show Dr Who on March 10, so I jumped ahead a week in the guide, and clicked on the 2 hour show, from 9pm to 11pm.

However, by the next Friday (the day of transmission) Sci-Fi had changed it from a 2 hour show, to 2 one-hour shows. The guide showed an 'R' on the second show, but it was not in the To-Do list anymore.

A similar thing happened for Saturday when Cartoon Network pulled Justice League at the last minute and replaced it. The R15 decided to record the show that replaced it, even though it wasn't Justice League (yes I know I have the TV habits of a 14 year old boy...)

So, to bring this back around to the discussion at hand, perhaps some type of notification when a program that has been marked to record changes, whether by time, type, title or length.

20. cabanaboy1977

Nov 16, 2005
    That's odd. I did the same thing (setup the SL 2 weeks in advance) and I got all three one 2 hour titled Rose:End of the World and 2 one hour Rose, End of the World. I still have all 3 in MYVOD and didn't add any off them manually. This SL fix should hopefully correct the issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.