1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cell tower climber

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Nabisco, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Nabisco

Nabisco Godfather

May 18, 2007
    im looking at a company who does install, service and repair on cell towers.... any input?

2. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    at or for ??

3. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    That's the kind of question where anyone who needs to know that already ordinarily knows that.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I agree.

5. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Unless he got his RC plane stuck on one and needs somebody to get it down.

6. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Maybe he wants to stick an OTA on it.

Wonder how long for the owner to notice ??

7. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Funny you should say that, because there is a cellphone tower adjacent to an RV park where I maintain the TV system for 400 sites, and I am really tempted to give it a shot, as our reception is deteriorating due to obstructing vegetation. I have climbed towers before.

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It might "accidentally" be crossed with a 110v line if it were on one of my towers. :D

At minimum the feed line to an "unapproved" antenna would be cut ... and the antenna would be removed with the cost billed to whomever could be found at the other end of the cable. You don't put stuff on someone else's tower without permission. And when you're dealing with cell towers all use is coordinated so no user is interfering with another user.

(And yes, I've written those contracts and I've negotiated those contracts.)

9. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Thats a good way to get severely hurt. I wouldn't consider it if I where you. But you can get a tower and put it up on your own if you need to in the place.

10. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    It's not a good way for me to get hurt because I service antennas for a living.

Right now, when the wind blows, I can see the channel wave forms on my spectrum analyzer bounce up and down by over ten dB. I have a 30' push up mast that I am going to put on a cottage there and see if that helps. If it does, I will probably be able to get the park owner to put up a tower, which would have to be 50' to match the height I'd get off a 30 foot mast atop a 20 foot roof. I think he'd feel safer without a tall mast on a cottage he rents out, and he can afford a 50 foot tower if he really needs one.