1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Census workers legally trespassing?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by ndole, May 27, 2010.

1. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
  2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Just another blowhard journalist getting his facts wrong:

This is a pretty liberal reading of the code! The relevant language is at Title 13, Chapter 7, Subchapter II, § 223 of the US Code. The section prevents the owner or manger of “any hotel, apartment house, boarding or lodging house, tenement, or other building” from refusing to provide a list of the buildings occupants or providing access to “such premises”. This means a building’s owner or manger cannot refuse to let a census worker into or out of the building and cannot refuse to provide a list of occupants for the purpose of the census count. The penalty for refusal is $500. No where in the section does it authorize entry into individual apartments, lodgings, or “living quarters”.
    The relevant code section is found HERE

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You'd think a former Federal Prosecutor and Republican Representative would know better. This is the Bob Barr that was one of the ones in charge of the Clinton Impeachment trial.

4. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    One would think that an American citizen, educated in America, would know how to spell census.

5. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Some would think that, some wouldn't assume it.;)

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    On another note... I could be wrong, but I don't think it is actually possible to legally trespass.

I though that the definition of "trespassing" required you to be violating some rule or law.

It's kind of like how you really can't be an illegal immigrant. To immigrate requires you to be legal... thus, you can't be an "illegal" immigrant.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I usually give someone the benefit of the doubt, might have been a typo, and on my system at least, I don't get a red underline for misspelling in the title field.

Besides, ever write a word and it just doesn't look right, but it is spelled correctly?

8. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    That's true, there's no spell check on the title field. I make typo's all the time. Used to be a fairly accurate 60 wpm typist, now the brain and fingers seem to be on different bodies....
    I do spend an abnormal amount of time checking spelling using Dictionary.com only to confirm I just spelled a word correctly.