1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Center Ice all in HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by shaggyric, Feb 16, 2009.

1. shaggyric

shaggyric New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Does anyone know why the NHL Center Ice package does not broadcast all hockey games in HD...despite the fact the the game IS being broadcast in HD in the cities where the teams are involved. Especially the Canadian teams broadcast. Not one is broadcast in HD. I hate standard def. Ugh. Any help on this.

2. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Hi - welcome!

Please check the D* Programming and Services forum for a long-running thread on this subject.

Easy answer is that many games are not produced in HD yet.

3. TANK

TANK Icon DBSTalk Club

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA

The Canadian HD games are not broadcast in HD on CI in the states because it requires a piece of equipment/and or something that is too expensive for D* to buy because of the limited number of NHLCI subs.

The games on MSG- you can read the current thread for details.

4. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    Because the Dolans who own the Rangers, and therefore hold the Isles and devils hostage on MSG, are a family of rat bas%$#ds who don't care a bit about teh fans, only about their cable TV empire!

5. Kheldar

Kheldar Icon

Sep 5, 2004
    Dude, tell us how you really feel :grin:

6. MudMover

MudMover AllStar

Jun 22, 2008
    Actually odd...I can watch Rangers away games..in HD...on MSG HD...but not the home games. Weird.

7. codeyh

codeyh Cool Member

Jan 5, 2009
    at least some of your teams have full TV coverage.. if it weren't for some of the away teams, Nashville wouldn't have every game on TV.

8. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    Do the Kings or Ducks ever do HD games ? I can't remember the last time I saw them televise a HD home game.

9. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    If you want to know about your actual team you'd need to check with your local team or the RSN that carries them. For example, all the Red Wings home games are in HD unless they get bumped to Fox Sports Plus. Many of the away games this year are also in HD (first time). Usually the ones that aren't are when they go on a Western Canada trip or to the west coast. The key though is every game is on Fox Sports Detroit which does a lot of HD.

Another key is how popular is your team. For example, in the past the Coyotes only did something like 5 or 10 games in HD because the RSN that carries their games would rather show college basketball in HD because so many more people watch the BBall. Red Wings are the #1 rated thing on the RSN (almost any RSN) thus they get HD priority most of the time. But that's not the case unfortunately for many of the NHL teams, especially those out west and down south. But those in the east and others like the Wings do get decent ratings and thus get more HD love.

As for the Canadian home feeds like from CSN or Rogers, it's just that DirecTV doesn't have that HD feed available to them either because of a technical issue or contracts.

10. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    The really frustrating part is that the MSG games are almost all in HD, both home and away. Only when a game is shunted to MSG2+ (alternate) is the game actually in SD. The problem is the juvenile Dolan family and their spat with the league. The games are broadcast in HD, but that feed is withheld from NHLCI out of spite.

Dolans Suck!

11. recorder

recorder AllStar

Nov 1, 2008
    Matter of fact, last night's was HD.
    If you're a Ducks fan it was really Low REZZZZ:lol:

I haven't confirmed, but I think I have enough fingers to count the number of Kings/Ducks HD offerings on Fox Sports West feeds.
    I'll bet the Fakers games are HD, eh?