1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Center Ice sub - lost NHL Network today

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by loveshockey, Jun 26, 2012.

1. loveshockey

loveshockey Godfather

Feb 24, 2008
    Lancaster, NY
    Choice Xtra package
    Have subscribed to Center Ice since '96

Technically, the channel is no longer in my package, but
    since I've been a Center Ice sub, it's been included in the off-season...
    (As per the Directv website - Get NHL Network—included at no extra charge! )
    Today is the first time they've shut it off!!!!

2. Dcm210

Dcm210 Godfather

Jan 17, 2009
    I;ve had it since launch and didn't have Center Ice every year. but I'm grandfathered in Total Choice Plus which has changed since then.

3. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    you should have the old Choice Xtra and you should still have NHL network.

4. loveshockey

loveshockey Godfather

Feb 24, 2008
    Lancaster, NY
    I "upgraded" to the new choice Xtra, knew NHLN wasnt available, but thought i would still be fine since I subscribe to Center Ice...

5. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    I would call DirecTV. Since they recently moved NHL Network to the Ultimate Package, they may have not taken the steps to retain it for NHL Center Ice subscribers, in which case... it is very easy to fix for them.

It SAYS you get NHL Network, so you should get it. I can't imagine, since this is a 365/24 channel, that they would not give it to you in the off-season.

It could also be an oversight on their website: When they moved it to Ultimate, there were likely new negotiations right before that, and one of the items discussed may have been NHL Network placement with Center Ice. Maybe it is no longer offered with Center Ice, but the bums at DirecTV web design didn't update it.

The timing of removal is also strange. NHL Center Ice was removed even before the play-offs, and the play-offs have ended two weeks ago. (Whoo Kings!)

Either way, a call is probably going to give you answers.

6. cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006
    Your NHLCI sub will have a beginning and end date on Directv's system (ie 08/31/11-06/26/12) and this will not necessarily be a 12 month period. Thus when you sub ends, as yours evidently ended yesterday (and it would not be just yours, everyone's NHLCI will expire on the same date), you lose NHL Network.

The reason you probably had NHL Network in previous years during the offseason was your sub to Choice Extra, not your sub to CI. Since you changed to the new package this year, which doesn't contain NHLN, you've lost it.

7. FLWingNut

FLWingNut Godfather

Nov 19, 2005
    Another reason not to change my grandfathered package. I've had CI since '98 and would be upset if the NHL Network disappeared. Even if it is off season.

8. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    This makes perfect sense.

9. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    But now NHL network shows playoff games so maybe the end data was set to be late so there is 0 risk of them being cut off to NHL CI subs.

10. Willy1

Willy1 Cool Member

Jul 9, 2007
    So Loveshockey, were you able to get it back?

11. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    Honestly I think that's pretty good. I would have thought access to the channel would end when CI ended so that would be 2 more months I wouldn't have been expecting.

12. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I have the grandfathered Choice Xtra+ HD DVR and still getting NHLN today. So if you have that package, it seems to be working fine.

13. loveshockey

loveshockey Godfather

Feb 24, 2008
    Lancaster, NY
    I havent tried to get it back...there's really nothing im missing in the offseason except Free Agent Frenzy...but maybe NHL.com will stream it?

14. loveshockey

loveshockey Godfather

Feb 24, 2008
    Lancaster, NY
    Didn't do anything, but have it back NOW

15. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    Someone else mentioned this as well, there might be a preview going on at this moment.

16. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    I think I may have pinpointed why I have it back. NHL Center Ice showed up on my bill yesterday. It says $0.00 on it but that might be why the channel came back since its part of the CI package.

17. Cyber36

Cyber36 Legend

Mar 20, 2008
    Byron NY
    I'm grandfathered also, but still lost it. Boy am I pissed......

18. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    they start taking orders for the early bird on 9/1. Not sure if your first charge will be when the new statement comes out or if it will be on oct statement.

19. zmancartfan

zmancartfan AllStar

Mar 23, 2012
    Anybody know how billing will work if the season is postponed or shortened? Would they likely lower the price of CI if it's not a full season? Any precedent of refunds being given if the early birds end up paying more than what a new subscriber would pay?

CI is set to auto renew for me, but I'm wondering if I should cancel and sign up again once the CBA talks are settled.

20. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    Spoke with DTV about this very question. They told me, most likely, no charges will be made on your account until a settlement is reached. Of course you could cancel in order to guarantee no charges, but I think they're (DTV) pretty good about things like this...