1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CES NEWS: Samsung N Service unveiled at CES: TWC, DirecTV, Comcast and Verizon are in

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Alan Gordon, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Jan 9, 2012 #1 of 18
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
  2. Jan 9, 2012 #2 of 18
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Mods might want to alter the thread title... :rolleyes:

~Alan

3. Jan 9, 2012 #3 of 18
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Samsung already has an android app that lets you use an airplay-like service to throw things from tablet to TV. If I had a sufficiently powered android tablet I'd try it.

(yes, there are some things I don't have, stop rolling your eyes :lol:)

4. Jan 9, 2012 #4 of 18
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    I have the app on my phone, you have the TV... :rolleyes:

~Alan

5. Jan 9, 2012 #5 of 18
    Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Many of the Samsung apps seem to be directly tied to their hardware, though, like the "Samsung SmartViewer Mobile" app which only works with a Samsung DVR, etc.

Samsung also has their own Samsung App Store for owners of their Galaxy Tabs, so maybe that's where a more "universal" app can be found for streaming, but you still need to be allowed into their market to see it. I tried on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus - can't get in. :(

6. Jan 9, 2012 #6 of 18
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I thought this Samsung CES announcement was also an interesting idea. A camera unit that clips on to your flat panel TV with enough horsepower to run Skype and an Android 2.3 web browser, instant messaging and e-mail client. It comes with a QWERTY keyboard remote to boot, so depending on how friendly the UI, it might be a nice set-up for not very technical grandparents at $199.

[​IMG]

7. Jan 9, 2012 #7 of 18
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Yeah... I always thought Umi was a great idea, until I found out how much each unit cost, along with the fact that it had a monthly fee. :eek2:

~Alan

8. Jan 9, 2012 #8 of 18
    dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Yep, I was quite disappointed to find out that my Samsung TV remote app would no longer work when I switched from their Galaxy S Epic phone to an HTC Rezound.

9. Jan 9, 2012 #9 of 18
    Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter Hall Of Fame

Feb 20, 2009
    I'm more surprised that during their HUGE event today they made zero mention of RVU at all......nothing at all...

10. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    RVU was simply just a good "idea" in theory but whether it will be successful in practice is another thing. If it's not adopted by just about every TV manufacturer (especially the low end ones) it will go the way of Quadraphonic Stereo & Beta VCR's in another year or so. it won't survive with DirecTV alone. Yea, lotsa companies "signed on" to the RVU group but have you seen anyone other than Samsung & DirecTV so much as mentioning it in press releases?

Kinda like 3D which has pretty much cooled way down after last years onslaught. There was an article somewhere the other day that said the only reason 3D TV's are selling is because people want "top of the line" TV's and 3D just happened to come with it (which is what happened with me last year).

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-5...but-do-owners-care-about-the-third-dimension/

11. penetronn

penetronn Cool Member

Dec 17, 2011
    I agree. I was really hoping for more RVU related news too. There was a single press release about the upcoming 2.0 spec, but that's about it. Well, better starting saving up for that 6000 so I can get some sales in a month of two from now after they are discontinued.

12. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Apple made a bucket load of money, press, and customers on a closed ecosystem.

And the masses shall follow.

Really, what Samsung N is, is a counter response to AirPlay. Its sounding like DLNA is "interesting" but not feature rich enough to compete with AirPlay - so - I believe we have entered into a closed ecosystem environment. And RVU is likely to be a casualty of that.

13. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    I'm not... RVU hasn't quite reached the masses yet...

Actually, it very well could survive with just DirecTV alone... it might not look like the objective, but they could still use HR3x and C3x to save them money on installations.

I really don't see it that way at all... :confused:

~Alan

14. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
  15. penetronn

penetronn Cool Member

Dec 17, 2011
  16. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, dunno which numbers, but someone or other has posted some series in the past. By now there may be an official Samsung site with the info updated.

17. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I was skimming thru a Panny plasma manual yesterday and they have a similar looking camera. Don't know what it's capable of.

Rich